PDA

View Full Version : grr stupid trans.

pickupman6
01-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Don't really have a question, just feel like venting my frustrations out.
Leaving work today started car and put it in reverse. Everything was fine. I had to go by the bossmans house to drop off the vin to a toyota taco with 106000k miles on it that we just rebuilt the motor on. Anyways, I let off the gas and downshifted to pull in the driveway. As I was turning in I heard a pop noise. I dropped it in neutral put on ebrake got out and put the VIN in his truck, got back in my car stuck it in reverse and went to leave and it wouldn't move. It acted like the brake was on so I double checked, nope. So I stuck it in first and let out on the clutch same thing, just bogged the motor down. Tried reverse again revved it up to about 15 and eased of clutch, POP! Oh crap, shifter now won't do anything but go forward and back. Got out to look and there's a nice puddle of oil on the ground. I push my car back :violin:and find a nice chunk of the casing laying in the puddle along wit the 2 spider gears and the shaft they ride on. Looks like I need to find a new transmission. Too bad none of the junkyards around here have any :(
Well that's my sad story of the day

Dr_Snooz
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Something tells me there is more to this story than what's written here...

Sorry to hear about the failure. I definitely want to see pics.

pickupman6
01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Maybe. Ok nothing gets by you dr. Haha. The past couple of days its been jerking sometimes when I'm turning from a stop. Just a single jerk. I assumed it was either the autozone cv axles that have been clicking since week two of installing them, or maybe a fuel pump problem cause it would do it cruising sometimes too. Also I noticed the car was bogging down in the corners right before the jerk than it would be fine. O well I guess I know what it was now.

import racer
01-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Hey pickup,I had an 87 hatch about ten years ago and was going up a hill and it fetched up solid.Got out to look and there was a crack in the top of the trans,It wouldn't move even in neutral.Sometimes these trans just go.

Oldblueaccord
01-31-2012, 12:31 PM
try Troys honda in cottonwood AL. its near Tuscaloosa.

You might have damaged the gears doing the CV shafts it happens.

wp

pickupman6
01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
You probably had a chipped tooth on one of the gears and it rode up on a tooth of the mating gear causing it to crack the case. I've had that happen on a 4 wheeler and a jd tractor we was working on at the shop. Luckily it had a bad input shadt bearing and there was enough room for for the shaft to move withou busting the transmission case. But anways I looked at the pieces that fell out of the trans and the shaft that goes through the spider gear which is suposed to be maybe about 17 or 18 mm thick was wore down to about 8 to 10 mm where the spider gears ride. Needless to say both ends were broke off. I found a lxi hatch with a 5 sp that hasn't been on the road since 07. The body is in pretty good shape. Judging by the corner light I'd say its an 86 or 87. And its got the louvers sitting in the back seat! Unfortunately no one was there to talk to about it. I left them a note and am hoping to hear from them. Fingers are crossed.

pickupman6
02-03-2012, 09:53 AM
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m592/pickupman6/3GEEZ/utf-8BSmFjay0yMDEyMDEzMC0wMDA0Ni5qcGc.jpg?t=1328371058

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m592/pickupman6/3GEEZ/utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIwMjAzLTAwMDA5LmpwZw.jpg

pickupman6
02-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Pickin this baby up next week for a hundred dollars! 87 LX-i. I think I will fix this one up and use it as a dd. Its been sitting since atleast 07 so it will take some work gettin it going again but I can't bring myself to use it as a parts car.
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m592/pickupman6/3GEEZ/IMG-20120204-00010.jpg?t=1328407627

I'll probably throw a slush box in the sedan and give it to my wife. I can pick one up at the pull a part for under $100 rebuild it for another 150 slap in some new axles and call it a day.

AccordB20A
02-04-2012, 08:12 PM
lol the classic open diff honda breakdown! lovely

ecogabriel
02-04-2012, 09:01 PM
I have a spare working auto trans in the basement; a new TQ would be all it needs - car vibrated at idle when in gear.

pickupman6
02-04-2012, 09:21 PM
I might take you up on that but atlanta is a little bit of a drive for me. I'm gonna try and get kentwat to check on the 85 lude atthe pull a part. If I could find a 5sp I'd rather use it and teach the old lady to drive a 5sp. Even if I did get the one from you I'd rebuid it just to be on the safe side. Don't want the thing to break down on her when she has the kids with her. You know how women are about servicing vehicles and letting you know if its been doing anything weird. When I met my wife she hadn't even changed the oil in her vehicle in 30000 miles. All the brakes were metal on metal, and the radiator was almost a gallon low on antifreeze. She said she's ran it hot til it shut off about a dozen times. Its a good thing I met her when I did or that poor explorer would be dead. Still runnin strong today gettin 22mpg.

ecogabriel
02-04-2012, 10:06 PM
I might take you up on that but atlanta is a little bit of a drive for me. I'm gonna try and get kentwat to check on the 85 lude atthe pull a part. If I could find a 5sp I'd rather use it and teach the old lady to drive a 5sp. Even if I did get the one from you I'd rebuid it just to be on the safe side. Don't want the thing to break down on her when she has the kids with her. You know how women are about servicing vehicles and letting you know if its been doing anything weird. When I met my wife she hadn't even changed the oil in her vehicle in 30000 miles. All the brakes were metal on metal, and the radiator was almost a gallon low on antifreeze. She said she's ran it hot til it shut off about a dozen times. Its a good thing I met her when I did or that poor explorer would be dead. Still runnin strong today gettin 22mpg.

We keep switching cars all the time. That way I can keep an eye on what goes on with the car; she looks at some things -oil, tires, coolant (not in the 3g she cannot find the bottle!) but if the car is having a problem she may not realize....

I kept the trans because it worked no problem except for the vibration which I figured was from the torque converter - had only
130+K.

On second thinking, would the transmissions from the 2g (A18) bolt to the A20? I believe I read it is but if I remember right one needs the A18's smaller flywheel and clutch. I found a Daikin dealer in FL with very good prices (got the clutch for my civic from him)

pickupman6
02-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Sorry I haven't gotten back with you sooner. Your right about the flywheel on the 1.8 but if a fi lude it would have an a20 in it. That's what I'm hoping for. If not than I need to find a flywheel and clutch or I could het the auto from the 89 accord at the junkyard. I need to find the time to pull my trans and look and see where the case broke. If the bellhousing part of the trans is fine I could swap it with the lude if it had a 1.8. But then again that's just guessing. I don't even know if they are the same. I gotta get these babies running!

Oldblueaccord
02-09-2012, 02:50 PM
So it was the transaxle? looking at the pictures.

wp

pickupman6
02-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah the differntial broke. And it broke the transmission case with it.

Anyways I had a chance to go look at the hatch today. I will be picking it up saturday. It needs a little more work than I thought. I gotta find a rear filler pane for under the tail lights, trim piece for the top of the windshield, passengers side headlight bucket, I need that piece next to the eyebrow on the grille for both cars and another set of corner lights. Oh and the guy want to keep the wheels off of it too, so I gotta find some rims. I will probably just throw on a set of steelies and paint the car satin black.