PDA

View Full Version : Antenna replacement how-to

huntz0r
02-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Small side project while I put off finishing the cargo cover.

When I got my 84 I soon noticed that the radio reception really sucked. It never before occurred to me that an antenna can stop picking up signal (at least, for any reason other than being broken in half), but I was meandering around the Crutchfield site and found the section for antennas which suggested exactly that.

As it turns out, Crutchfield sells a $10 replacement that fits our cars and works brilliantly. It's a two-piece, fully retractable mast with a rather nice-looking chrome base, like so:

http://hclar.net/pix/accord/ant1.jpg

Which brings me to the second big improvement, it's fully retractable! I don't know if the lower section of the factory antenna is supposed to retract into the A-pillar, but mine wouldn't budge. So that's a major plus for me since I like to go to the carwash.

http://hclar.net/pix/accord/ant2.jpg

Here it is extended to maybe maybe two-thirds of full length. This thing extends ridiculously long just like the one it replaced. Reception is very good at this moderate range, as tested with an early-/mid-90s Alpine tape deck. Even fully retracted the reception is decent, and noticeably better than the old antenna.

I don't have any third-party ref for this part, if it's made by Metra or somebody else, but it is available from Crutchfield at time of this writing, for $9.99 with free shipping:
Item# 12044HD92 at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044HD92/Honda-Geo-Antenna.html)

Crutchfield also includes their MasterSheet with full instructions on removal/replacement of antenna, head unit, speakers etc. for your model, which is very handy, but I will add the basic steps and some tips below...

huntz0r
02-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Tools:
#2 Phillips screwdriver
10+ feet of nylon twine or thin hookup wire
Scissors (small pair is better)
a thin, non-sharp piece of plastic (credit card, discount club key fob, etc)

Time: ~1 hour

The antenna and wire is all one piece, so you'll need to get the receiver out first and unplug the antenna wire from the back, in order to pull the wire through the guts of the lower dash, and finally up the A-pillar and out the roof.

First remove the lower dash panels below the steering column and the radio. For the one under the radio, 82-83 will have two screws at the back to remove before it comes off; on 84-85, just pull downward at the back and it will slide out. The driver's side knee panel is simply held in with screws along the top and bottom. If still original, there should be a piece of fuzzy insulation behind that, also held in with a couple screws and tabs, also to be removed.

Next, remove the ashtray and undo three screws to pull the ashtray bracket out, get it as free as you can and let it hang. The receiver may come out in one of a few different ways. Factory units have an L-shaped bracket that runs across the back of the radio and secures to the dash support with two screws (unscrew from below). For aftermarket DIN units, you'll probably need a pair of those little slot tools that push into either side to release it from the DIN sleeve. And for shaft-mount units like mine, you'll have to take off the knobs, nuts, and faceplate to get it out. Either way, slide the unit out, disconnect everything, and set it aside.

Before pulling the antenna wire out, securely tie your string around the wire at the antenna plug so it won't pull off. A simple slip knot worked fine for me. Those of you who were Eagle Scouts might know a better knot. Pull the old wire through in sections -- first get the plug out into the footwell, then pull it through from the other side of the dash where it comes out the bottom of the A-pillar.

Now you can untwist yourself from the footwell, step outside and remove the two screws from the base of the mast. It slides out fairly easily, and you should be able to pull the wire after it with your string on the end. Transfer the string to your new antenna and start pulling the new wire into the car, finally sliding the new mast all the way in (heh heh). The fit of the base plate may look a little wonky at this point, but don't worry, it will work.

Pull all the slack wire into the footwell. At this point, you might expect to just pull the antenna wire back through the guts of the dash in the original route, but I found this impossible to do. After enough effort and cussing, I untied the string routed the wire my own way, up above the steering column and forward of the HVAC ducting, which was much easier but just as safe and secure. This should be obvious enough, but make sure you thread it through and over a few things such that it will not fall down; alternately, use cable ties. Once it's out the other side of the dash, use the string to pull it back into the space behind the radio. Reconnect and reinstall the radio. and test. Reinstall lower dash panels.

Last step is securing the new piece. This gets tricky. First I had to realize the rubber gasket needs to be trimmed, as the hole where the wire goes through is not cut quite right for our application. It needs to be cut out more toward the front of the car and toward the center of the roof. There is also some bending involved to get the base plate to go down flat against the roof; I suggest threading in the rear screw, then getting the front screw in. I had to back the screws out a few times to loosen up the mount because it wanted to catch the top of the gasket. I did a bit of work on the lip of the gasket with a plastic card while tightening it down, to keep the lip on the outside of the metal. It's a pain, but with some patience and care it will all seat down nice and pretty.

And that's it. Turn on radio, enjoy new spiffy antenna.

Dr_Snooz
02-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Nice work. If that mast came in black it would be a perfect fit for the 3g.

huntz0r
02-04-2012, 10:48 PM
The original piece on the 2g is black, and for that matter the pic on Crutchfield's site has a black base as well. So I don't know why mine is chrome. I rather like the look of it on the 2g though, adds a nice vintage flavor.

ecogabriel
02-05-2012, 10:33 AM
The original piece on the 2g is black, and for that matter the pic on Crutchfield's site has a black base as well. So I don't know why mine is chrome. I rather like the look of it on the 2g though, adds a nice vintage flavor.

From what I remember the 1G Accords have also that piece in chrome. It looks well on the 2G.
I salvaged the 3G electric antenna but that involved lots of cursing, contorting, and muscle spasms and pain... and I am due for an antenna change in my Civic; I am :uh: :mad: just from reading the odyssey with routing the wiring....