PDA

View Full Version : How do I get the aux rocker arm rod out of the cam holders?

PDXAccord79
02-04-2012, 10:16 AM
So I found a head off of an 80 that matches mine so the rebuild from goes back and I find a shop to rebuild this one. Issue somewhat resolved!

Now I'm having an issue with the rocker assembly. The main rocker arm rod slid right out and all off the rockers and parts slid right off. However the auxiliary wouldn't slide out of one of the end pieces and some of the rockers were frozen in place. I managed to get it out of the cam holder with a hammer and a punch but that appears to have mushroomed the ends of the rod and I now can't slide the remaining aux rockers off!!

I have a new rocker assembly so I can try this again but should I even bother? I don't want to screw this up again and can get it to a machine shop if I need to.

Also thanks for all the help so far. Here's some progress:

Cleaned, painted and ready for install:
http://i.imgur.com/YQ1aR.png

Engine so far. 2 of 4 pistons in:
http://i.imgur.com/dQJZF.png

Thanks again for all the help.

1GCustomAccord
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Take it to a machine shop, they will heat up the thing so everything comes out nicely.
Nice job on the parts!

Dr_Snooz
02-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Definitely a beauty stack of parts!

lostscotiaguy
02-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Wait...what? I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over how jealous I am.

Sorry I don't have any REAL advice for you but I still had to say DAMN! I wish I could do what you're doing right now....It looks great, so please keep us posted, and keep the pics flowing!
:cheers:

PDXAccord79
02-10-2012, 07:22 PM
OK I will. Rockers are more expensive than I expected so I really don't want to screw this set up.

Thanks for the complements. This car has been 2 years in the making and now that everything is cleaned and painted it's feeling very close to being on the road. I now have 3 pistons installed and everything turns liquid smooth. Gotta make sure it's all ready for the Weber :)

What's even better is most of this stuff just needs a wipe down and it's ready to go back on the car. Even my motor mounts look brand new as does most of the other rubber items on the car.

I'm expecting to have it back on the road by the end of the month so I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks again for the help.

Hazwan
02-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Pretty <3 Keep us posted (with pics!)