PDA

View Full Version : CV Axle came loose

arlington88
02-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi All. I have an 88 Lxi. Last week I replaced the lower ball joints and the cv axle on the drivers side. When I took it for a test drive I got about a mile out and all of a sudden the engine started revving but I wasn't going anywhere. It felt like the clutch had gone out on me. Under the car was a puddle of the oil I had just put back into the tranny after the axle replace. I jacked it back up today to take a look and I'm pretty sure the axle popped out along with a lot of fluid.There is a gap between the transaxle seal and the axle cylinder. I have a picture but I can't paste it here since this is my first post. Is my tranny toast?? Has this happened to anyone else? I've been searching here for a while and don't see a post with this exact situation.

thanks! --Dov

Vanilla Sky
02-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Moved this thread so it will get more exposure.

Since you have a manual transmission, it shouldn't be dead.

When you removed the old drive shaft, was there a clip on the end of it? If there wasn't, that clip is still in the output shaft and will need to be removed. Does the current axle have a clip on it? I've made it a habit to check for the locking clip at the store.

That clip is normally the cause of the axle popping out, so I'd check on that first. It's a pain that you have to pull the suspension apart on that side again, but the positive thing is that nothing should be difficult to separate.

arlington88
02-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Dangit! The old axle is long gone and I didn't think to look. That's going to be a PITA trying to determine if the old one is in there. Thanks so much for the info. I was going to go back in there tonight and try to get the thing seated but it could have been for nothing if that old clip is in there and I didn't read this post first.

arlington88
02-06-2012, 09:18 AM
No dice. Took the left side apart again last night. Stuck my finger into the trans and did not feel an old clip or anything loose. Got the axle seated in the trans again. This time I tapped with a hammer and it really seemed to get locked in there. I couldn't pull it back out by hand. Test drove around the block several times but when I put it into reverse to go back into the garage it popped out again.:Owned: I hate to do it but I yield. Towed it to my trusted mechanic today. Hopefully he has a trick for making sure it stays put. Maybe a better clip? Thanks DBMaster and Vanilla Sky for your suggestions...I REALLY thought I had it!!

DBMaster
02-06-2012, 03:16 PM
You're in unfamiliar territory for me. I have done precisely two of these; one on my Accord and one on my daughter's 99 I30. When I tapped mine in I never felt any kind of "snap" to let me know it was in. I just yanked on it to make sure it wouldn't pull out. It does sound to me like you might have a bad clip, or a worn groove inside the output shaft.

arlington88
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
My mechanic put a new circlip on the axle today, installed it and it popped out on him during test drive. I think he said he did it more than once and each time he did a uturn it popped out. He also suspects the inside is worn but wants to try a couple more things(one of the reasons I like this guy). Tomorrow he is going to check the size of the axle. I don't think it's short though because I compared it with the old one after I pulled it. After that he will probably order the axle he likes to install because he trusts it. If he can get that to stay in I'll probably buy it and call it a day. Not sure what happens if the inside is worn.

Hauntd ca3
02-06-2012, 08:41 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but being a left hooker wont the drivers side axle assembly be the big long 2 piece affair with the support bracket?
or did the a20 powered ones not have this.
if it is the same as b20a powered accords, how on gods great green earth did the drivers side axle pop out of the trans?
the support should hold it in place. the only joint that can pop out on that side of the car would be center tri pod joint.

arlington88
02-06-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm not very well versed in the engine models. This was the longer of the two drive axles. There wasn't a support for the axle I removed or the replacement. It just goes directly from the hub to the transmission. It has been coming ajar about a centimeter but that's enough to disable it.

Hauntd ca3
02-06-2012, 09:41 PM
must be an a series thing then.
i'd suggest that you have been given the wrong shaft then if its popping out.
sounds to short. most hondas have differant length shafts between auto and manual.

Ju_S12_Turbo
02-07-2012, 01:39 AM
I know in my old civic when I would drive it, it would randomly pop out. What my case turned out being, was out of control worn motor/tranny mounts

Bluntman
02-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Maybe post the part number and where you got it from and we all can check to see if it is the proper one.

Bluntman
02-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Another thing I do is go straight to the source and go to a axle rebuilder. Just do a search for them in your area. I have used Advanced Technology Axles in my area. Good guys and no Chinese crap. They usually will have one ready for a common swap.http://www.allthecalifornia.com/Local/California/Garden_Grove/Axles/advanced-technology-axles_9908917

g.frost
02-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I know in my old civic when I would drive it, it would randomly pop out. What my case turned out being, was out of control worn motor/tranny mounts

This is what I would look closely at; A worn mount can cause the tranny to shift in position enough to allow room for the axle to pop out.

G. White
02-07-2012, 03:44 PM
I had the same problem you are having. The axle lengths are a little different between a manual trans axle and an axle for an automatic. When you were given the new axle, they might have given you the wrong one. It may seem like it is seating enough during installation but when driving it will pop out every time. PITA!!!! Reverify you have the right part #.

ecogabriel
02-07-2012, 03:46 PM

I was thinking about that too.

POS carb
02-08-2012, 04:40 AM
i think you may have gotten an axle for an automatic . they are very close and easy to get mixed up. the end that goes into the trans is a slightly different length. I've gotten a mis-boxed axle before!

arlington88
02-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Good to hear I wasn't the only one to go through this and great info about it possibly being the auto trans axle. Unfortunately I couldn't confirm anything for my mechanic because I bought both axles over 6 mos ago and didn't keep any paperwork or the boxes. Silly I know but won't make that mistake again. After it came out several times for my mechanic he installed the axle he normally does which I was happy to pay for since it worked. I got out the door for $175 total. He only charged me $50 for labor (did I mention I love this guy?!). Got a front end alignment and I've been trouble free for a good 400 miles.