PDA

View Full Version : Old Econoboxes Becoming Collector's Classics

Dr_Snooz
02-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Thought I would share this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/05/automobiles/revenge-of-the-econobox-early-japanese-imports-find-admirers.html?_r=1&hp

Old Japanese cars are becoming collector items and a group of new enthusiasts is emerging. If you still have your 3g, you might want to keep it. I'm convinced it will be a very desirable collector car at some point. How do we get our group linked up with these other groups?

The biggest surprise in the article, for me, was this car:

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Toyota/67_toyota_2000GT_manu_03.jpg

Apparently, Toyota did manage to produce an interesting car ...once. Far out, man!

Legend_master
02-07-2012, 09:39 AM
That was one of the first toyotas into the USA, those are awesome. I think it will be awhile before people start to appreciate the 3Gee as much as we do lol.

88lxi-shortram
02-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Idk man lately none of the yards around here are getting 3geez, so either georgias running out of 3geez or people are apreciating them more lol.

Honda Man
02-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Over here in cali these at least 10 sedans at all times. That would be really cool to see our cars as collectors like us. Vary cool article for sure. And that toyota looks a lot like a corvette. I kike it a lot. I just realised to, for all the 86s they are now 26 years old now

ecogabriel
02-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Last Sat. there was a very nice 89 LX-i. Black in color (repainted, but in good shape), good interior, engine bay looked fine and only 120K in the odometer.... why it was there I cannot fathom because visually looked better than my 86. I would have taken the alloy wheels (14") if i were not flat broke now.

They may eventually become classics but scarcity may be key for that to happen... I eventually see 240s and 260s from the 70s driving around here.

88lxi-shortram
02-07-2012, 05:52 PM
weve got 4 on the lot right now that have sat there for months now. they are all in horrible shape and been stripped to hell :/ ive been thinking about making an hour drive to lithonia to see how their yard is looking but the tranny in my truck is going out and its a really rare transmission to find... of course with my luck i have a truck with impossible to find parts.

stat1K
02-07-2012, 09:18 PM
i love every car in that slide show!

obdriver6
02-08-2012, 12:25 AM
I definitely plan on keeping my 3gee forever!

zeun4749
02-08-2012, 04:35 AM
Old Japanese cars are becoming collector items and a group of new enthusiasts is emerging. If you still have your 3g, you might want to keep it. I'm convinced it will be a very desirable collector car at some point. How do we get our group linked up with these other groups?