PDA

View Full Version : Whining/humming noise at highway speed

Truckian
02-09-2012, 10:57 PM
I've got an '87 hatch, and when I get up to around 55mph (though it does seem to vary a bit), there's this strange mid-high pitched whining/humming noise that sounds like it's coming from somewhere up front. The faster I go, the louder and more consistent it gets. If I slow down a bit, it gets quieter, and if I drop it down slow enough (about 5-10mph slower), it goes away.

At first I thought it was the speedo cable, but after unplugging it from both ends and taking the car for a spin, the noise persisted. I noticed that it sometimes seems to die down a bit if I roll down my window, but not much. Anyone ever have a similar problem, or have any ideas?

Vanilla Sky
02-10-2012, 07:01 AM
Without further analysis, I'd be looking into doing your wheel bearings soon. There aren't that many causes of speed dependent howling, outside of bearings.

Christofur
02-10-2012, 07:17 AM
is it a 5 speed?

next time when your on the freeway just take it out of gear and see if it goes away.

Legend_master
02-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Without further analysis, I'd be looking into doing your wheel bearings soon. There aren't that many causes of speed dependent howling, outside of bearings.

That is a good start, just think about all the items that change speed when you go faster. Tires, axles, brakes, transmission, speed sensor, speedometer (and cable), and wheel bearings. I have had an issue with my side mirrors making a whistling noise, but it was very obvious when I heard that.

obdriver6
02-10-2012, 11:11 AM
This.....

is it a 5 speed?

next time when your on the freeway just take it out of gear and see if it goes away.

....and this!

rocketman
02-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Automatic or 5 speed? Rocketman

Truckian
02-15-2012, 12:37 PM
It's an automatic. I checked the bearings not long ago, and they seemed fine, so I'm a bit skeptical that they're the problem here, but I guess I'll check again to be sure.

w261w261
02-16-2012, 03:30 PM
My wife's Passat turned on the check engine light one day, and not too long after that we had the tranny "rebuilt." After it was finished, we ended up with a high-pitched whine that starts at about 30, and gets higher pitched the faster the car goes. It bothered me at first because of what I thought was another failure about to happen, but that was 30k ago, and nothing has changed. I kind of like it, because it sounds sort of like the starship Enterprise going into warp. It's also not that loud.

My theory is that the failed seal on the tranny caused the diff gears to run dry, and wore them in such a fashion that they make noise.

I don't think it's your wheel bearings...they tend to roar. I suppose there's a shot it could be a tire.

Truckian
02-18-2012, 11:15 PM
I should also add, if it matters, that it doesn't always make noise. For example, I just drove about 30 miles, getting up to about 76mph at points, and didn't hear a peep. Other times, I'll be cruising along at 55mph or so, and it'll suddenly start making noise for no apparent reason.

w261w261
02-19-2012, 02:29 PM
I'd swap wheels/tires front to back. And this is a shot, but do you do your driving mostly on one type of road surface? The time when there was no noise, was it on a different road? You might try bumping the tire pressures up or down by 5 or 8 lbs (temporarily).

When you say you've "checked the bearings," how did you do it? Also, is there any shaking at the steering wheel when the noise is happening?

Truckian
02-19-2012, 09:39 PM
I've had it happen on both asphalt and concrete. As for checking the bearings, I just jacked the front up and wiggled the wheels around, didn't find any excessive play in any direction. I did, however, notice that my steering wheel tends to have a rather harsh vibration when I get to about 60mph and up. Car also seems to be drifting to the left, I've noticed, which may or may not be related to all this.

w261w261
02-20-2012, 01:07 PM
You've probably been reading this thread, but just in case...

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77293

A bad bearing will feel like it's grinding if you jack up the front and turn the wheel by hand. You might not necessarily feel the "play" you were writing about.

How's the wear on the left front tire?

Truckian
02-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Don't see any abnormal wear on the tire, or any tires for that matter. I don't remember it drifting like this before, so it may be a new thing. Anyway, turning the front wheel by hand revealed that it was sticking in a spot. Turns out the brakes just weren't retracting all the way because the pistons were bone dry. Greased them back up, and it seems fine now. Didn't hear/feel any grinding while turning the wheel by hand, though. I doubt the brakes were causing the original noise...but maybe?

*edit* Just took the car for another spin on the freeway, it *tried* to make the noise again, twice, but only for a split second each time around 67mph. Hmm....

Airik
09-18-2015, 12:28 PM
I've got an '87 hatch, and when I get up to around 55mph (though it does seem to vary a bit), there's this strange mid-high pitched whining/humming noise that sounds like it's coming from somewhere up front. The faster I go, the louder and more consistent it gets. If I slow down a bit, it gets quieter, and if I drop it down slow enough (about 5-10mph slower), it goes away.

At first I thought it was the speedo cable, but after unplugging it from both ends and taking the car for a spin, the noise persisted. I noticed that it sometimes seems to die down a bit if I roll down my window, but not much. Anyone ever have a similar problem, or have any ideas?

I know you posted this in 2012, so I know you may have solved what was going on with your vehicle.
I currently own a 2004 chevy Malibu that is having the same problem.
I have been searching online for some answers but all I get from people is that the wheel bearings have something to do with it. I am certain that's not it, but the closest thing I have to being a mechanic...is google.

Anyways, did you ever find out what was the problem? if so, do you remember what you did in order to fix it.

Thanks!