PDA

View Full Version : 87 lxi stock car

CHAR POW
02-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Hey I trying to get some help on parts for 87lxi2.0 I race this at a few south Texas quarter mile oval tracks. Has to be stock motor by rules so any one know or have a cam. Header? Any kind of motor or suspension parts. I race dirtand asphalt. I also am looking for a complete donor car. Of course no meed for interior or glass or those thing. How about a chip or way to eliminate Rev limiter.? Help

DBMaster
02-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Cool. I lived in Corpus Christi for a couple of years. Used to drive my Accord 120 on the county roads between CC and Calallen. That was back when it was only four years old. Driving on flat roads, at sea level with a tailwind makes all the difference!

CHAR POW
02-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Right on. I only been here a couple years. So any goodies for the a20a? R u still in corpus

Vanilla Sky
02-15-2012, 08:52 PM
There are a few inexpensive headers out there. There's the OBX that you can buy off of eBay, which is what I'd go with for a race car, and the Pacesetter. For cams, you can call up Delta and have them regrind one for you, or you can give Bisimoto a call.

Do you run with offset suspensions? Camber kits aren't very expensive, and a cheap way you can play with camber and caster up front is with a pair of upper A arms from a second generation Prelude.

CHAR POW
02-16-2012, 05:08 AM
Man you guys are awesome I could only find one header and it's expensive. Yes I have Ben cutting and welding suspension pieces which is illegal at most tracks.

Legend_master
02-16-2012, 06:56 AM
I'm a little confused, you said the engine must be stock? Does that just mean internals, or everything attached as well? I have an adjustable cam gear I can sell you :rockon: lol. I may even have a pacesetter header I will let go.

2oodoor
02-16-2012, 07:18 AM
One piece of advice is don't use the acorn nut lug nuts, most have only a few threads actually holding to the stud by now.

CHAR POW
02-16-2012, 08:01 AM
As far as lug nuts I drill out and put half inch studs. The header and cam gear is for a20a. motor must be the motor that came in car. somw dtrack allow headers some dont I am looking for 1. Any ideas how to get rid of rev limiter .

CHAR POW
02-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Legend master I am interested in the header and cam gear how much

Legend_master
02-16-2012, 09:11 AM
As far as lug nuts I drill out and put half inch studs. The header and cam gear is for a20a. motor must be the motor that came in car. somw dtrack allow headers some dont I am looking for 1. Any ideas how to get rid of rev limiter .

Not sure why you would want to remove the rev limiter, the engine is not designed to rev any higher. As far as ways to do that, you could convert the FI system to OBD-1 then chip the ECU to remove the rev limiter. You could MAYBE (and this is a big maybe) cut the signal wire from the Tachometer/Distributor to the ECU, but I am not sure what role that would play on the fuel mapping of the ECU.

Legend_master
02-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Legend master I am interested in the header and cam gear how much

Just looked through my stuff, I actually sold the header. Still have the cam gear tho, would like to get $115.00 plus shipping.

2oodoor
02-16-2012, 10:43 AM
probably you could use another intake manifold , there are some better ones than the 87 model and it would appear stock. Do away with all the fast idle crap.
You may be able to find out if you can hardwire in the tps and idle air control without changing ecu, not sure though.
I would not eliminate the rev limiter unless it is cutting out too soon? you want to be able to keep it floored on a dirt track.
Ive seen msd used and painted black then located inconspicuously. The 2nd gen prelude (A20) and these accords,do really well in that class around here.
I would say oversized injectors but with a cam that definatley would risk protest from the sound.
You wanna be able to back off the idle speed the best you can with any mods and at the same time get the most advance as healthy for it. In stock form these cars are detuned a good bit even using stock hardware.

CHAR POW
02-16-2012, 11:10 AM
There is one track where I run out of gear just before entering turn
I set my car up with throttle going in so it is really messing me up. I am running msd stashed and painted. Does that can gear advance or retard valve timing? Would really like to get a header to. Where are you located.? You guys ate the shit man everyone I ask alwasys said throw it away. But I would run with them in there newer cars and they kinda shushes after
I would like to get that gear from you. Mine is a 87 so that is 3 rd Gen?? And what year prelude has suspension I can use?N E anyone got .

CHAR POW
02-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Can I make a 3 geez sticker and our on race car or is it against rules. What b series intake bolts up?

DBMaster
02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Right on. I only been here a couple years. So any goodies for the a20a? R u still in corpus

I lived in CC from 92-94. I saw 3g's there - and, mind you, they were not very old at the time - that had rusted areas around the trunk lid. Make sure you are diligent about washing the undercarriage, door hinge area, engine compartment, etc. The humidity and constant wind cause the air to carry lots of dirt, sand, and salt particles. On some windy days my car would end up with a sticky film on it. I kept up with the washing so it doesn't have any rusty places now. Of course, I have been back in the Dallas area for the past 18 years. If you use your garage here cars can look good for a very long time. My original paint still shines.

I shouldn't brag about driving that fast. I don't want to encourage anyone to break the law or do anything dangerous. I redline my engine daily and drive like I'm always in a rush. I push it to its handling limits all the time. This beast is about as durable as they come. I have 350,000 miles on it. The way the traffic and gridlock is around here I don't need it to be any faster. It would only get me into trouble. It's plenty fast for the way the chicken-shits around here drive.

Legend_master
02-16-2012, 02:52 PM
There is one track where I run out of gear just before entering turn
I set my car up with throttle going in so it is really messing me up. I am running msd stashed and painted. Does that can gear advance or retard valve timing? Would really like to get a header to. Where are you located.? You guys ate the shit man everyone I ask alwasys said throw it away. But I would run with them in there newer cars and they kinda shushes after
I would like to get that gear from you. Mine is a 87 so that is 3 rd Gen?? And what year prelude has suspension I can use?N E anyone got .

I'm pretty sure the gear both advances, and retards the timing. I'm in the DFW area as well. People talk shit about these cars till they drive them, then they fall in love lol.

Can I make a 3 geez sticker and our on race car or is it against rules. What b series intake bolts up?

B16 kinda bolts on, but needs to be modified a little.

I lived in CC from 92-94. I saw 3g's there - and, mind you, they were not very old at the time - that had rusted areas around the trunk lid. Make sure you are diligent about washing the undercarriage, door hinge area, engine compartment, etc. The humidity and constant wind cause the air to carry lots of dirt, sand, and salt particles. On some windy days my car would end up with a sticky film on it. I kept up with the washing so it doesn't have any rusty places now. Of course, I have been back in the Dallas area for the past 18 years. If you use your garage here cars can look good for a very long time. My original paint still shines.

I shouldn't brag about driving that fast. I don't want to encourage anyone to break the law or do anything dangerous. I redline my engine daily and drive like I'm always in a rush. I push it to its handling limits all the time. This beast is about as durable as they come. I have 350,000 miles on it. The way the traffic and gridlock is around here I don't need it to be any faster. It would only get me into trouble. It's plenty fast for the way the chicken-shits around here drive.

Dude your such an inspiration, I wish everybody took care of 3geez like you.

Legend_master
02-16-2012, 02:56 PM

Also check out the performance thread (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61469) , and I'm sure people would not mind you rocking the 3geez sticker.

CHAR POW
02-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Well yes I would like to get that beer from you how do I pay . I bought this car 8 years ago and drove it on the street wide open for 5 of them. change the oil twice mind you that whole time. third time was the day I decided to bust windows and make it a race car. I totally dig the fact that you guys help me out on this. 8 d series intake fits w hat kind of mods are needed

obdriver6
02-16-2012, 11:29 PM
The B16 intake manifold fits but you have to drill new holes.

2oodoor
02-17-2012, 05:26 AM
The B16 intake manifold fits but you have to drill new holes.

A good thread about how to use a 88-89 manifold on a 86-87 as well as the B16 would be something to look around for...

Vanilla Sky
02-17-2012, 11:37 AM
If you're running out of gear, try a transmission from a carbed Accord. They have a lower numeric final drive ratio, meaning they have a higher gear. You will lose some acceleration, but you'll make up for it by not having to shift right before a turn.

CHAR POW
02-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Once again awesome info. I just found a carbed car I am gonna scoop for a donor. Is there numbers on it I need to check that will cross to tell me what gear it has. Man would love to put the b series LSD in It before I stab it. Well if anyone wanna see the " crapr" in action its ccspeedway.org. past videos. Frontrunners. #9 the go baby go car. Thanks again I gonna keep making this thing quicker everyweek

Vanilla Sky
02-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I found it buried in the FAQ section.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35970

Hope that helps!

Legend_master
03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
The head and cam gear a20a. The motor must be the motor car came. somw dtrack allows DONT, I find one. Any ideas how to get rid of the rev limiter.

This has been addressed in this thread.

JohnBoy
03-20-2012, 12:25 AM
it sounds like your running in a road runner/ hornet class run smaller tires if your running out of rpms. adjust the camber on all four tires. really if you get caught running header and cam gears sorry but you probably wont get payed. cam you can get away with a light cam grind if they ask say its running in open loop. shave the head and block. running pulse plugs and race fuel. for now i"ll give you that.

CHAR POW
03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
[Q=JohnBoy;1090387]it sounds like your running in a road runner/ hornet class run smaller tires if your running out of rpms. adjust the camber on all four tires. really if you get caught running header and cam gears sorry but you probably wont get payed. cam you can get away with a light cam grind if they ask say its running in open loop. shave the head and block. running pulse plugs and race fuel. for now i"ll give you that.[/QUOTE]

Ya well smaller tires is going the wrong way With the gear. Ya car is set up on all fourcorners.I also run in other v8 classes so not going to put a bunch into this one. Bad thing is I kick a lot of butt in it. . I can hide the Can gear and run the header only at certain tracks

CHAR POW
03-20-2012, 06:09 PM
it sounds like your running in a road runner/ hornet class run smaller tires if your running out of rpms. adjust the camber on all four tires. really if you get caught running header and cam gears sorry but you probably wont get payed. cam you can get away with a light cam grind if they ask say its running in open loop. shave the head and block. running pulse plugs and race fuel. for now i"ll give you that.

Ya well smaller tires is going the wrong way With the gear. Ya car is set up on all fourcorners.I also run in other b8Yj1G classes so not going to put a bunch into this one. Bad thing is I kick a lot of butt in it. . I can hide the Can gear and run the header only at certain tracks

JohnBoy
03-23-2012, 12:18 AM
dude it sound like your the bad ass so i wont try to help you any more. sorry for put in info.

2oodoor
03-23-2012, 04:57 AM
I bet that civic could cheat pretty easy with a minime conversion.

CHAR POW
03-24-2012, 10:28 AM
dude it sound like your the bad ass so i wont try to help you any more. sorry for put in info.
Oh Well I was not being smart ass just explaining.

CHAR POW
08-20-2012, 06:26 PM
i need help again !! hitting rev limiter half way down straight away already have tall tires rubbing ball joints any tranny have longer second gear

CHAR POW
08-20-2012, 06:37 PM
need help again hittin rev limiter half way do wn straight away. Already have tall ass tires rubbing ball joints. any tranny have longer second gear? any one know of 15 inch wheels with an offset? any one have header

CHAR POW
08-20-2012, 07:14 PM
need help again hittin rev limiter half way do wn straight away. Already have tall ass tires rubbing ball joints. any tranny have longer second gear? any one know of 15 inch wheels with an offset? any one have header

CHAR POW
08-20-2012, 07:15 PM
i need help again !! hitting rev limiter half way down straight away already have tall tires rubbing ball joints any tranny have longer second gear

Vanilla Sky
08-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Outside of the transmission from a carbed car and tall tires, you just need to increase your rev limit. Can you do the mods to OBD1 swap?

CHAR POW
08-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Outside of the transmission from a carbed car and tall tires, you just need to increase your rev limit. Can you do the mods to OBD1 swap?

well i am not supposed to. also trying not to spend much more money on car because i also run other car in other class. if this old car wasnt such a kick ass car i would not be running it. what other advantages do i get from that swap. and whats it intail ? thanks for help

CHAR POW
08-21-2012, 07:27 PM
well i am not supposed to. also trying not to spend much more money on car because i also run other car in other class. if this old car wasnt such a kick ass car i would not be running it. what other advantages do i get from that swap. and whats it intail ? thanks for help

hey im hooked i need obd 1 conversion help

Vanilla Sky
08-26-2012, 07:31 PM
You need to rewire the computer or have a harness built and add a couple of wires to the harness. Cygnus_x has adapter plates and adapter keys for an OBD1 distributor, or you can modify it yourself.

CHAR POW
09-15-2012, 11:08 AM
just installed cam from DELTA CAMS

CHAR POW
09-15-2012, 06:19 PM
anyone have header for sale ??

CHAR POW
09-25-2012, 04:12 PM
well ran first race with delta cam not to happy

Vanilla Sky
09-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Does it fall on its face now? Might need more fuel.

CHAR POW
09-25-2012, 05:26 PM
well ran,there specs for degree and ignition timing junk am arunning a higher volume injector setup. changed degree and ignition timing for feature .I won,but not impressed i know exhaust is issu is there. Need header. I called the guy at half time Saturday night and he did not even k.ow if they advanced valve timing like i asked

CHAR POW
09-25-2012, 05:37 PM
checked plugs. Just a little fat.Not much. I will tweak out a llittle leaner.