PDA

View Full Version : Roar sound

Buzo
02-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Two days ago my car started to produce a roar sound when I lift the foot from the accelerator.

Its not the front bearings because I just change them.

When hearing the sound, and I slightly turn the steering wheel 1 degree to the left and then to the right the sound gets faded away and then comes back.

As the car gets hotter, the sound gets louder.

It sounds like when there was lack of oil in the differential in the old cars with rear traction.

We don't have differential in these cars, Do we?

Rendon LX-i
02-15-2012, 03:39 PM
can hardly say. can be a number of things. Since you said that the front bearings have been replaced im kinda of spectacal in a way when you say that there is a sound still when you turn. Even thou a bearing has or been replaced doesnt mean its a good bearing. The bearings are a sealed unit are defective in a way.

reason why i say is your laying a load when you turn thus causing a noise. I would recheck your work. or the person who did the work. i seen plenty of come backs that i had to redo for the fact the bearing was pressed in wrong causing a bad sound

BUT thats my guess. it can be a tire that is choppy or so on.

Thats just my experiance hoped i help

stat1K
02-15-2012, 06:04 PM
there is a differential it's not in the rear however, it's in the transmission... have you attempted engaging the clutch to see if the noise persists?

Buzo
02-16-2012, 09:22 AM
I should put some more history here.

I replaced the left bearing last April. I started hearing similar sound and it got worse into the following days. I didn't do both at the same time just because I could not remove the axle nut! Anyway, everything was OK since then.

I heard the noise again a couple of days ago and I said, it should be the right bearing this time, so I went ahead and paid a shop where they fix flat tires for big trucks to remove the axle nut for me. Then removed everything myself and just paid a local machine shop to install the new bearing using their huge presses (I had the spare bearing on hand since last year, when i changed the left side one).

I put everything back together and...the roar is still there. And it can be heard only during de-acceleration and when the wheels are straight. Any curve in the road will shut the sound down.

The sound is identical to last year's one, so the cause must be a bearing, but I believe it is the left one again. I will wait a few days to see if the sound gets worse, and I will look for a better bearing brand to replace them again!

A friend of mine just told me that we need to put more grease inside the bearing through an small opening it has. I didn't know it so I didn't do it, in any of them... He didn't believe it when he was told about it, and it cost him another bearing replacement 3 months later. Unfortunately for me, the advise came when the new bearing was already in place.

Buzo
02-16-2012, 09:37 AM
there is a differential it's not in the rear however, it's in the transmission... have you attempted engaging the clutch to see if the noise persists?

I think I should ask if the differential needs that special grade oil, as the differentials in the rear axle.

My car is auto and when I get a bumpy road, the sound changes with the bumps, its like a small plane during take off haha

cygnus x-1
02-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Try lifting the front wheel off the ground and turning it by hand. If the bearing is bad you will probably hear it grinding.

C|

2oodoor
02-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Alignment?
CV axle not locked in good? It does seem to be a pitch/thrust issue since it's happening on decel.

ecogabriel
02-16-2012, 04:56 PM
I think I should ask if the differential needs that special grade oil, as the differentials in the rear axle.

The differential gets its lubrication from the same transmission fluid.

Legend_master
02-16-2012, 05:42 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my car. Actually turned out to be 2 problems. One was the axle nut not being bolted down tight enough, and the second was loose lug nuts. Try tightening everything up first, the start looking elsewhere.

Buzo
02-16-2012, 09:17 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my car. Actually turned out to be 2 problems. One was the axle nut not being bolted down tight enough, and the second was loose lug nuts. Try tightening everything up first, the start looking elsewhere.

More than one said it. I found the axle nut of the left wheel loose, the one that I changed 8 months ago. It looks like I didn't do a good job bending the nut to avoid it to turn and get loose.

I'm glad it caused no major issues.

And I feel better because I finally got the right bearing changed :)

Legend_master
02-17-2012, 09:38 AM
More than one said it. I found the axle nut of the left wheel loose, the one that I changed 8 months ago. It looks like I didn't do a good job bending the nut to avoid it to turn and get loose.

I'm glad it caused no major issues.

And I feel better because I finally got the right bearing changed :)

So that was the issue? That thing has to get tightened with an impact, I learned that the hard way.

Buzo
02-17-2012, 10:05 AM
So that was the issue? That thing has to get tightened with an impact, I learned that the hard way.

Yes, the axle nut was loose. Thanks for the tip, I will re-visit that shop to get the nuts tightened...

Oldblueaccord
02-17-2012, 10:03 PM
It has a torque setting. I think it is 135 foot lbs. Its important because that is how that bearing operates. I would look up the torque and make sure it is preloaded correctly.

wp

Rendon LX-i
02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
It has a torque setting. I think it is 135 foot lbs. Its important because that is how that bearing operates. I would look up the torque and make sure it is preloaded correctly.

wp

Huh? It's not a race an bearing setup. It's a seal bearing that gets pressed on if not done correctly it will ruin the bearing causing a howling sound.

w261w261
02-19-2012, 02:16 PM
I remember years ago buying two new wheel bearing for my Audi. I thought I would save some money by giving them to a local garage to install, along with the new shocks I supplied. They sent the axles out to a cheap machine shop, which when pressing on the new bearings broke one outright, with the second one failing in about a month. Since I supplied the bearings, both the garage and the machine shop could say, "it wasn't me, it was someone else." The garage said, maybe the bearings were defective, the machine shop said, "we did everything right." They were beautiful German bearings too.

Moral: it's easy to mess up a bearing install if you don't do it right. I personally think they beat them on the axle with a sledge, or some other equally dumb-ass move.

Dr_Snooz
02-21-2012, 05:52 PM

wp

x2. The spindle nut should be torqued properly, to spec, with a torque wrench. Impact gun is not the right tool.

I remember years ago buying two new wheel bearing for my Audi. I thought I would save some money by giving them to a local garage to install, along with the new shocks I supplied. They sent the axles out to a cheap machine shop, which when pressing on the new bearings broke one outright, with the second one failing in about a month. Since I supplied the bearings, both the garage and the machine shop could say, "it wasn't me, it was someone else." The garage said, maybe the bearings were defective, the machine shop said, "we did everything right." They were beautiful German bearings too.

Moral: it's easy to mess up a bearing install if you don't do it right. I personally think they beat them on the axle with a sledge, or some other equally dumb-ass move.

I would guess it was something more like them not having the right arbor to keep the knuckle from sitting cockeyed or slipping out of their press. I had Pep Boys destroy a couple bushings for my BMW that way. They bashed up the one control arm putting them in. I yelled at them and they replaced it, thankfully.