PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord racecar...run it carbed or EFI? HELP!

DirtySupreme67
02-15-2012, 08:00 PM
well i have 2 accord racecars i am going to race in a stock class on 1/3 asphalt oval...one i bought from a friend that scored high in points last year and the car is proven on that track...its a 88 accord lxi with a 2.0liter A20A3 with EFI...and i bought a 89 accord lx that is carbed but the car has a bad rod knock so i bought a different A20A3 engine that is set up for EFI to put in the car. but the problem is i have a wire harness out of a parts car but, when some idiot took the engine out of that car they just cut all the wires and it would be difficult to match up all the wires and set everything up for EFI in the 89 lx....sooooooo long story short would i get just as much power and speed out of a carbed A20A3 or would it be worth it to try to convert it into fuel injection. thanks

Vanilla Sky
02-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Can you run an aftermarket carburetor setup like a Weber? A Weber 38/38 would be just about perfect for you, and they make adapter plates that allow a rather easy installation.

AccordB20A
02-15-2012, 08:49 PM
aftermarket carb or efi. stock carb is not an option! lol

Vanilla Sky
02-15-2012, 08:54 PM
If it's a rules issue, you can deal with a stock carb. You can rejet a stock one and remove all of the emissions equipment. Our stock carbs aren't bad, it's the amount of emissions equipment they're burdened with.

obdriver6
02-16-2012, 11:04 PM
FI conversion is complicated, so I would skip that. Like vanilla said, if rules allow, use a weber or at least remove the all emissions stuff.

Vanilla Sky
02-17-2012, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't say the EFI swap is complicated, but I do feel it's more work than it's worth, unless you have a real reason to keep your current chassis. $500 LXis are out there, especially if you don't need it to look perfect.

2oodoor
02-17-2012, 05:37 AM
Use your fabrication skills to make the factory air cleaner set up work with the Weber, or two barrel Holley. Leave everything intact but plugged.
The factory air cleaner is such a pain in the ass to remove, I doubt it would even be suspected in tech.
It would be better to fill and retap holes to use the weber without an adapter but you need to machine out the plenum divider to make clearance for the throttle plates.
That would require removeing the intake manifold to do that.

Dr_Snooz
02-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Stock FI cars were designed to produce more power and faster acceleration than stock carbs.