PDA

View Full Version : 87 LXi starting problem

Aran
02-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Over the last month or so I've had problems restarting my Accord after shutting if off for a short time. I'll shut the car off to run into the store and when I come back out it doesn't want to start. The starter is spinning, and turning the engine over. Battery has plenty of power and I've checked the spark, so I'm assuming it's a fuel issue. I'll try starting it a couple times and have tried pumping the gas/holding the pedal down and that doesn't seem to do anything, at least immediately. I did this thinking that perhaps for some reason it was flooding but I also never smelled gas. After anywhere from 2 to 10 minutes and a few attempts to start it'll restart without any problems. The only consistent thing is that it's not when the engine is cold and (I think this is unrelated) the gas tank is full or very nearly full. It's only happened four times over the last month or so, so it's not a consistent problem, but the last two times were last night so I want to get this fixed.

I don't even know where to begin. Any ideas?

mrma5b
02-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Check your cooling system for leaks. Air that finds it's way in the system can throw off the temperature readings from the TW sensor, which can throw off the air/fuel ratio on a warm engine as it starts. The TW sensor itself could also have gone bad.

Dr_Snooz
02-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Do a search for "main relay."

Vanilla Sky
02-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Knarg has supplied us with some great information on main relay repair. It's simple to do if you have basic soldering skills.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75242

I stuck the thread for now so I can come back to it later to clean up and move it into the how-to section.

Blasney
02-22-2012, 08:12 AM
To help narrow your diagnosis down some, listen to see if the fuel pump is activating next time it fails to start. Turn the key to 'on' and you should be able to hear it power up for a second or so. If the engine is turning over, and it has spark...then it's most likely a fuel issue. A bad pump or relay could be the culprit.

Demon1024
02-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Depending on wether it happens when the engine is hot, or when the temp outside is hot. Tw sensor or main relay.
Tw= when engine is hot reads cold still and no start.
Relay=inside of the car gets warm (over ambient,too begin with,it'll get worse) cracks on solder in relay prevent it from functioning correctly

Legend_master
02-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Do a search for "main relay."

Knarg has supplied us with some great information on main relay repair. It's simple to do if you have basic soldering skills.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75242

I stuck the thread for now so I can come back to it later to clean up and move it into the how-to section.

To help narrow your diagnosis down some, listen to see if the fuel pump is activating next time it fails to start. Turn the key to 'on' and you should be able to hear it power up for a second or so. If the engine is turning over, and it has spark...then it's most likely a fuel issue. A bad pump or relay could be the culprit.

Main fuel pump relay is the mostly likely culprit. Blasney is correct, all you have to do is listen for the main relay to "click" when the ignition is places in the on position.

lexanbobby
03-02-2012, 10:51 PM
I had a similar problem my car wouldnt crank over i have an 86 accord lxi. i had multiple mechanics tell me it was my fuel pump. after checking it out da fuel pump was fine which led me to the main relay which is under the drivers side dash on the left wall. i bought a brand new one put it on n still nothing. turned out my tire on passenger side had shredded some ground wires n that was the problem. ur car still starts up after a while so to ne sounds like da relay....