PDA

View Full Version : Stats On The Carbon Fiber Hoods Group Buy

Site
10-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Since this post isn't about joining the buy (which is now complete), I though it might belong in the General section.

Thought these stats might interest some people, especially if you're thinking about doing a group buy.

I started the group buy in this thread:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6456 on September 20. The order is now complete and the payment is sent. It's October 17th.

Before starting the buy, I spent 7 weeks contacting 11 manufacturing shops, negotiating a good price, contacting references, reading about carbon fiber, and examining pictures of carbon fiber hoods.

The thread for the buy now has 9 pages of postings (131 posts) and has had 1973 views to date.

While putting together the buy, I sent and received 153 emails and made several phone calls.

Total hoods required for minumum order at beginning: 11.
Total hoods ordered: 9.
The shop owner said he would give us 9 at our group buy price. He was too cool to work with throughout the buy.

Number of days from start (contacting shos) to finish (placing order): 73.

Wow. No wonder a lot of group buys don't happen. It was major work and a lot of time. If I do a group buy again, I will probably require a small deposit to officially join the buy. It's just too easy to say "I'm in." and then back out when it's time to send payment. The shop owner was very generous to accept a less than minumum order from us. Major props to him!

Everyone in this group buy was very responsible and I give you all mad thanks!

Grant2k
10-17-2002, 01:44 PM
exellent work Site. i wish i had money because i woulda gotten in on that too, but my pockets are real shallow. i should have skipped this college nonsense.

87accordlxi
10-17-2002, 03:33 PM
so if anyone is to ever want a carbon fiber hood from this guy, will he still charge the same price as now? we wont need to get a group buy going again, cuz he already has the mold, right?

Site
10-17-2002, 06:05 PM
87accordlxi wrote: "so if anyone is to ever want a carbon fiber hood from this guy, will he still charge the same price as now?"
-He said after this the hoods will be more expensive. He's giving us a deal for 2 reasons:
1. It's a group buy, and
2. He wanted to see what kind of interest there will be for 86-89 Accord carbon fiber hoods.

No one has made CF hoods available for the 3rd gen Accord before now.

"we wont need to get a group buy going again, cuz he already has the mold, right?"
-That's my understanding. I'm not sure how he intends to sell the hoods after this. I believe his shop doesn't usually sell direct. I think they manufacture the product for other retailers.

He's been so great to work with. After the hoods ship out, I'm going to ask him if I can give his contact info out on the board so anyone who wants to can contact him.

89AccordNate
10-17-2002, 06:10 PM
Fuuuuuuuck im so anxious to see one of these on a car!!

Nate.

89AccordNate
10-17-2002, 06:12 PM
I give you guys HUGE props for making this come through. I have seen things like this come out of no where, and then die. Im glad that you guys got your shit together and officially made this one happen. None of that bullshit like h22a swaps from MSI accord. That kind of stuff needs to stay off of the board. Site I give you MAJOR credit for bringing this through for all of those who wanted one.

Good job....and for extra credit, send me that bad ass DCOE Conversion of yours. :D

Nate.

Site
10-17-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordNate
I give you guys HUGE props for making this come through. I have seen things like this come out of no where, and then die. Im glad that you guys got your shit together and officially made this one happen. None of that bullshit like h22a swaps from MSI accord. That kind of stuff needs to stay off of the board. Site I give you MAJOR credit for bringing this through for all of those who wanted one.

Good job....and for extra credit, send me that bad ass DCOE Conversion of yours. :D

Nate.
Thanks, man. It was fun to do - a lotta work and patience on everyone's part - but fun, too.

As far as the DCOE conversion goes . . . Drive your car to me, bring a grand in cash, live in my basement for a month and then you can drive your car home with DCOEs installed. LOL :huh:

Man, I so wish that I could send out bolt on DCOE conversions for our cars. I'm so happy with the results. Truth be told, I'm working with a couple of companies on getting sidedraft manifolds in production for our cars. But that's for another thread.

Neuspeed87lx
10-17-2002, 06:48 PM
yea guys .. awesome job ... how can i get in contact with this guy ...i know someone that would be interested in getting on of the cf hoods

guaynabo89
10-18-2002, 12:01 PM
So Site Did the shop owner receive the money today?

Any more info from him on the hoods?

88LXi68
10-26-2002, 04:20 PM
::::waiting::::

guaynabo89
10-26-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 88LXi68
::::waiting::::

:lol You still got a month plus there budy, me even longer. At least your first. :flip:

chronicsinners
10-27-2002, 09:12 AM
month plus i doubt it, should be less than 20 days, i too am waiting o so impatiently

guaynabo89
10-27-2002, 10:34 AM
You got to remember it takes a week to ship after it is done.