PDA

View Full Version : Ontario Honda Dealers Offering FREE Inspections and Roadside Assistance

gyates93
02-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Figured I should mention it here! Honda dealers are offering free inspections and roadside assistance to those of us with 2007 or older vehicles!

Just took my '89 Accord LX down to Kingston Honda for a complimentary multi-point inspection along with a free 1-year subscription to roadside assistance! This promotion is only going on in Ontario and ends on the 28th of February if anybody else is interested!

On an interesting note, they found:
-Needs front pads and rotors
-Needs FRS CV axle
-Needs Distributor oil seal.

Apparently my battery failed their test too, but it started the car fine after sitting through three weeks of cold winter weather.. Not worried about that too much.

And Honda quoted me.....(Drumroll here):

A grand total of $904.28.

A great opportunity to get the dealer to have a look at my car (They were amazed at what kind of shape my 23 year old car was in!) but of course I won't be having them perform the service. I can do this entire job myself including re-timing the motor after removing the distributor for approximately 200 dollars. The brake job will be a good way to kill an afternoon if I'm bored, but I haven't done a CV axle on a car like this before. Is it a rough job? Alignment required?

Vanilla Sky
02-21-2012, 10:18 PM
I can't remember which side I've done this way, but you can replace an axle by undoing the upper A arm frame nuts, undoing the shock from the shock tower mounts (possibly removing the shock) and pulling the knuckle down and out to get the axle to move outward enough that it comes out of the transmission. Using this method and running into no fasteners a breaker bar would have trouble with, I can do the CX axle job in around an hour.

gyates93
02-22-2012, 05:50 AM
If I need to replace the rotors as well, is it still not advisable to change the axle how the shop manual suggests?

I guess the transmission is going to need to be drained before I start this job?

1ajs
02-22-2012, 08:01 AM
vanila thats the hard way one can just pop the botem ball joint

just need a prospecting hammer and a regular hammer to pop the lower ball join so u can get thee axle out

Dr_Snooz
02-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Usually, the axle will tell you when it's time for replacement. If it isn't clicking, it's still good. If the boots are not torn, then it won't be making any noise for a long time.

gyates93
02-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Usually, the axle will tell you when it's time for replacement. If it isn't clicking, it's still good. If the boots are not torn, then it won't be making any noise for a long time.

The boot on the front right axle is torn, and I'm getting a noise when taking sharp left hand corners. I'm probably going to do the brake job and evaluate the situation for the axle when I've got the car on the lift, Honda's told me it's ready to be changed and there is noise.. I'd say it's going to need to happen soon.