PDA

View Full Version : 81 accord newbie

pavbo10
02-21-2012, 10:16 PM
81 Accord idle issue

I generally get what's wrong with mechanical on cars but I do not usually do any work on my cars... and I'm not really up on the workings and common problems of my recently acquired Honda.

Recently it has developed a strange issue of the engine idle speed and revs falling off rapidly as the car slows down in traffic. As your speed slows, the engine revs also slow down quickly and the engine dies. 'Difficult to drive as you constantly need to be mainlining high revs and restarting the engine at traffic lights.

I had a number of fixes at my garage...Currently it is running better but not perfect; the mechanic said it was the "air regulator" and that he bypassed it. He suggested I get a new one for a permanent fix...all I came up with even remotely similar was Idle Air Control or Throttle Control Valve....
I was looking through the manual and I can't really identify what he was telling me about...
I am including a pic of the component he identified - and I'm wondering if anyone can help a newbie to the 1'st G of the Accords.
If you can tell me what this part is - and if anyone has had similar issues and good fixes it would be appreciated.
Also if anyone has a line of where to source the part(s) it would really great.
I have been using Rock Auto - but I don't see anything remotely like this available in their catalog.

Cheers and thanks in advance

...Unfortunately, I can't seem to post a picture yet (5 posts?) - so to describe it:
it is a bell / cup shaped housing towards the fron of the engine adjacent to the air filter housing.
Comments?

I

2ndGenGuy
02-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Uh man, this is frustrating. We need you to be able to post your pictures. :) You should go make 5 posts and then we'll be good to go! :welcome:

Dr_Snooz
02-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Is it idling low all the time, or just when slowing down for lights? Auto or stick?

obdriver6
02-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Welcome! Keep posting here till you get 5 post.

2ndGenGuy
02-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Yes keep the posts coming so we can help!

tiefling
03-01-2012, 12:14 AM
Haha only posting to get my 5 posts too... ^^;