PDA

View Full Version : 88 Honda Accord LXI transmission problems

SladeHonda
02-22-2012, 01:35 PM
My 5th gear also went out on my car. Would it be better to just look for a used transmission to put in it or should i get synchronizers for the 5th gear someone said i could fix it this way. Which would make the car run better and be more cost effective.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Dr_Snooz
02-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Search.

Demon1024
02-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Wow I wish i'd have run across this question... i think my 4 speed that came with a car is supposed to be a 5-speed. I'm scared to take a tranny apart :(.
Unless you commute along way, just drive it lol. I live in town tho...

Blasney
02-23-2012, 02:16 PM
You can still find used transaxles for these cars at fairly good prices...but then, you already HAVE a used one, don't ya?! Point being, you don't know the condition of the used transmission until you either disassemble and inspect it or just blindly put it in the car and drive it. Sure, you've got a 50/50 shot at either scoring one that works perfectly, or one that's as bad as...or worse than...the one you already have.

Since the transmission has to come out of the car either way, you might want to seriously consider fixing your existing one before buying what might end up being just another 'rebuildable core'.

There's nothing too scary inside the case, and if you can get parts from a local retailer or transmission shop, then going through your original trans isn't that hard. I'm always amzed at how many people are willing to tear into an engine, but tremble in fear at the thought of doing transmission repair. Best suggestion, buy a manual and do it yourself. That way, when it goes back into the car, you know it's ready to drive another couple hundred thousand miles!

SladeHonda
02-23-2012, 05:14 PM
O ok good advice i think ima do that then .... that way i know exactly wats in it and how good it is .... how do i get that manual ???

Vanilla Sky
02-24-2012, 01:25 AM
The factory repair manuals are available for download from PaulRU's website. There is a link at the top of this forum to the download page for the manuals. It's free and more comprehensive than your typical parts store manual.

If 5th gear went out, the 5th gear set needs to be replaced. It's incredibly common because the 5th gear set sits in outside of the transmission case under the black cover seen in the passenger fender well area. There are 2 holes for oil, but after a while, the oil gets contaminated with syncro material and degrades from heat and years of use and those holes clog enough that the oil doesn't reach the gears to cool them. The gears overheat and will fuse with the shafts, and in extreme cases, to each other. If you can drive it in other gears, chances are you can replace that gear set and have a good transmission again.

AZmike
02-24-2012, 01:54 PM
The fifth gear set can be replaced with the transmission in the car. Search my user name and you'll find a description of the repair. As long as the splines on the main and counter shafts are in decent condition the gears are all you need.

SladeHonda
02-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys Ima check out your page right now. This is the best news I've heard in a while about the car, I just knew i was gonna have to spend money on dropping the transmission out and all that stuff. But yea the car still drives fine 1-4 and reverse works fine too. Ima check on this immediately. Thanks again.

liftedplane
03-07-2012, 08:03 PM
I actually just found an 89 accord with this same problem, thankfully it seems like a very simple fix from evreything I've read, they are willing to sell it for 1000 down from 1350 because of this issue.

my problem is this, I cannot find ANY gears kits or gears for this. I've called some parts stores and searched google with every type of keyword combo I can think of.

any help in finding these or a link to where I can buy them would be great, I'm thinking they can't be that expensive and getting this car at this price would be a steal.

Only other problem is both front windows are off track and won't roll down, easy enough fix :P