PDA

View Full Version : If your car leaves oil in the floor of your garage...

Buzo
02-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Just want to share with you guys my recent experience with an oil leak I had.

There were several parts of the engine where i could see oil leaking, through the head gasket, all the way around the junction of the engine and transmission and below in the oil pan gasket. Of course I made big plans of sending my car to the mechanic to change all the gaskets for me and was just waiting for some time availability. I never did it, fortunately.

Well, after a month or so since I removed my dizzy and blocked the hole where the dizzy used to be, all my apparent oil leaks are gone. The floor in my garage is clean, and of course all the engine parts I mentioned above that they were always wet in oil, now they are dry.

If you have oil leaks in your engine, I would check the dizzy's o'ring first. The tricky part is that the leak is not that evident that its coming from below the dizzy since the oil gets dispersed for all other pieces of the engine.

The o'ring looked OK, but it was so brittle that got broken when I tried to remove it from the slot.

Most of you may know this, but I didn't until I had the opportunity of changing the way that opening in the engine is sealed. Had to live with that huge oil leak for more than a year!

charliekuney
02-26-2012, 04:03 PM
If you're talking about the point where the distributor meets the engine, I'll have to say that 90% of these cars that I see in junkyards leak oil there, as does mine.

Buzo
02-26-2012, 07:50 PM
If you're talking about the point where the distributor meets the engine, I'll have to say that 90% of these cars that I see in junkyards leak oil there, as does mine.

Exactly, there must be a way to fix the oil leak and keep the ability of moving the dyzzy.

I got excited with my finding because I thought I have a huge gasket problem, but it was as simple as one single leak path.

ecogabriel
03-04-2012, 11:03 AM
My distributor (EFI) leaked from inside - the shaft seal. That can get easily confounded with the o-ring; the discharge hole sits right to the engine head. Mine would have a poodle of oil in that place.

http://www.3geez.asmallorange.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76806

The shaft seal is a non-standard size; mine came off Ebay and I got a spare online since my Civic uses the same seal.. .not leaking yet though.