PDA

View Full Version : Trans problems!!

Vick23
02-28-2012, 11:23 AM
dang i havnt been on here in months but okay well i have a problem going on with my car.

i have a 86 accord lx automatic. so the problem is when im driving everything seems fine but then all of a sudden the car stops going and the rpm's start to build up like i put in a N but its still in D4, so i pull over and put it in D3 nothing still rpm buildage untill i turn it off and finally put it in D4 again then it starts going once again so idk...
like the gears are going or something and i want to figure out what the problem could be so i can get it fixed asap its the only way of transport i have so any clues of what it might be or anything along those lines will help thanks

car6289
02-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Start with the simple things. Check your fluid level, shift cable adjustment and TV cable adjustment.

2oodoor
02-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Start with the simple things. Check your fluid level, shift cable adjustment and TV cable adjustment.

it may be worth it to change the fluiid with some Dexron 3 in case there is blockage, afterwards if things are cool then change it again with the expensive stuff synthetic...

For sure if you continue to drive it like that there would be no hope. Think of the automatic trans as having 3 systems.. fluid coupling from the power source (torque converter) which makes motion, then control which is valving including any solenoids, valve body and spool valves,fliltering, fluid type, fluid pressure and pressure routing including the TV cable adjustment, and finally clutching which is where you get slippage which is usually caused by control issues. If you can get to the control issues before slippage then you may be able to spare the unit.
Of course there is more to these systems and detail of how these work but that is a simple run down to help with diagnosis.