PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Intake

Project-LXi
10-17-2002, 02:01 PM
Ok, its about time I made a decision about what type of intake I want my car to have. I have an 88 LXi running a BT engine. I currently have the K&N hi-flow replacement stock filter, however I am considering buying the '92 civic K&N short ram and adapting it to my car. I have heard arguments in favor and against doing this on these boards. Any input from you guys with opinions / whys would be helpful before I make a final decision.

A20A1
10-17-2002, 02:22 PM
Make your own intake

mike_fx_u
10-17-2002, 05:52 PM
(A)-right now ur running cold air intake with some restriction due to the piping but improved filter

(B)-u want to go with a short ram type that would be hot air(you ever feel how god damn hot it gets under our hoods) low restriction and maybe better filter.

Performace: (A) = (B) so no increase probably
Sound: (A) < (B)

So in conclusion u would be spending money on sound not performance. Save ur self some time and do the custom cold air intake.

Link to instructions for cold air intake (http://jdmfan.com/technical/performance/custom_intake/)

Hope u make the right desicion
Mike

1988starter
10-17-2002, 06:51 PM
A is not = to B no matter how hot your engine gets.

Well I know a K&N filter does not peform better than my intake in fact a lot worse. I say make your own here is one I made from a imtimidator filter from pepboys and the stock C pipe yea I know itis on a 91 tempo but iw would also fit an LXi
http://www.geocities.com/stupidcj/txt/j_intake1.txt

Project-LXi
10-17-2002, 07:19 PM
Not too concerned with sound, but out of curiosity: would a custom cold air intake like the one described on the link, make the same sound as the short ram?

smufguy
10-17-2002, 07:33 PM
like mike said MAKE UR OWN. read the faqs about it and also the how-tos.

anchovies
10-17-2002, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Project-LXi
Not too concerned with sound, but out of curiosity: would a custom cold air intake like the one described on the link, make the same sound as the short ram?

:tongue: :smokin:

mike_fx_u
10-17-2002, 09:30 PM
yes it would make the same sound just not as loud due to the fact it would be in the fender well not under the hood. it doesnt matter if you run without a intake system if you suck in hot air u will not gain performace over a restrictive cold air system. also if you take out the fog light plug in the bumber you would have a "ram" type intake system due to the air forced in the cavity where the stock intake picks up air. a inverted top k&n filter would help in the "ram" setup also.

just my 2 cents
Mike

Project-LXi
10-18-2002, 10:52 AM
Ok I read the linked site on how to make a AEM style cold air setup yourself, but when I eyeballed out where it would go, I couldnt find a space for it in all the clutter. Would I have to move my battery to do this? Any of you who have made custom CAIs, your input would be helpful here.

markmdz89hatch
10-18-2002, 11:13 AM
OK, don't know if he's making these anymore, but at least you get the point of what's involved....

(had to dig for this one..)

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5635

mike_fx_u
10-18-2002, 03:43 PM
u do have to move the battery

ok
Mike

kicker1_solo
10-21-2002, 01:02 PM
I just put a short ram on my 88 LXi and there was absolutely no power gain, just a gain in sound. Probably even a loss in power due to all the hot air it's sucking in. I'm probably going to end up building a cai, and yes, you have to move the battery, or at least turn it so it's out of the way. The reason why short ram intakes aren't good for power is because: the more air that you can force into your motor, the better it'll work for you. And cold air is denser than hot air, so you can fit more cold air into your motor than hot air. So get a cai, make a cai, or leave your set-up how you have it. :)

mike_fx_u
10-21-2002, 01:26 PM
thank u for the input. someone with experience confirms my deductive reasoning.

Mike

1988starter
10-21-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by kicker1_solo
I just put a short ram on my 88 LXi and there was absolutely no power gain, just a gain in sound. Probably even a loss in power due to all the hot air it's sucking in. I'm probably going to end up building a cai, and yes, you have to move the battery, or at least turn it so it's out of the way. The reason why short ram intakes aren't good for power is because: the more air that you can force into your motor, the better it'll work for you. And cold air is denser than hot air, so you can fit more cold air into your motor than hot air. So get a cai, make a cai, or leave your set-up how you have it. :)

I think you are the only one because every one else here has sceen a power gain. But maybe you did not. Did you use the weapon R one or something. Also Yes hot air is sucked in but that air does move around the engine compartment. Also the amount of air is large enough to make a difference VS the hot air. Yes a CAI is better but short ram also does a good job. Besides the are would have to be about 160 degrees to make a serious difference under the hood.

anchovies
10-21-2002, 01:52 PM
reset the ecu eh

kicker1_solo
10-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 1988starter

I think you are the only one because every one else here has sceen a power gain. I think they hear it more now, and their mind is playing tricks on them. It's loud, it must be faster. :D

startersgirl
10-21-2002, 03:38 PM
Did you connect the vacume tube or use a breather because the tube works better then the breather.

kicker1_solo
10-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by startersgirl
Did you connect the vacume tube or use a breather because the tube works better then the breather. me? If me, I used the tube. :)

B16 ED9
10-21-2002, 04:00 PM
i used a breather, cause the tube that came with the intake didnt fit and kept popping off

kicker1_solo
10-21-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by kicker1_solo
me? If me, I used the tube. :) mine didn't fit either, I had to hallow out the end of the tubes a little bit more than they were and then clamp them on there. :banghead:

mike_fx_u
10-21-2002, 04:31 PM
yeah i think alot of people mistake sound(and look also) for performace. But i think we call those people "ricer's". we should start a new forum named "Rice" because that is exactly what a short ram intake is. dont waste money on shit like a short ram intake unless u are a supporter of rice. Supporters of rice please make a donation to www.feedthekids.com. they are in need of rice this time of year.

Mike

B16 ED9
10-21-2002, 04:38 PM
hmm, you callin my short ram "rice"???? i got the whole tubing and filter for free, so :p

hah

mike_fx_u
10-21-2002, 05:19 PM
like i said rice, dont waste ur god damn time or effort or money.

sometimes i wonder why i waste my time and money on my accord when i could have a 92 civic/H22A hybrid to waste my time and money on. iam just going to get this car to a presentable point and use it as a daily driver and try and help it with a little more hp, because it needs it.

Mike

1988starter
10-21-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by mike_fx_u
yeah i think alot of people mistake sound(and look also) for performace. But i think we call those people "ricer's". we should start a new forum named "Rice" because that is exactly what a short ram intake is. dont waste money on shit like a short ram intake unless u are a supporter of rice. Supporters of rice please make a donation to www.feedthekids.com. they are in need of rice this time of year.

Mike

First off rice traditionally refers to thnigs like body kits and oversized wings along with fart can mufflers and type R badges (www.riceboypage.com). Who would waste money on some ugly chin that reduces peformance by adding weight of common those 18 inch rims some people have that is rice or at least the traditional definition. But you guys did convince me I took my K&N filter back from my sisters 86 lude and put back on my stock piping . I could not tell if their was much of a sound difference but when I tested it at the 4th mailbox off my street (My speed test area try to hit 60 using diff RPM.) I found I had to take it a full 1000K higher in second to get the same results with the short ram. If you want examples of rice look at the bodykit civics that are around you shold be able to see about 100 each day. Also swapping an engine and adding an intake are compleatly different things so contnue with your H22A civic but don't compair engine swaps to a single bolt on their are at least a 0 apart in price range.

1988starter
10-21-2002, 06:17 PM
Lets think about thhis density of air thing logicly. Lets say a CAI pulls in air at 72 degrees Farenhight about 295 degrees Kelvin the density of O2 is about 1.332 Kg/M^3 at 100 degrees about 311 kelvin O2 is 1.254 Kg/M^3 a difference of .078Kg/M^3 Not too much at all These numbers are not too far off and I am being generous with engine bay heat as air is russed in it swirls around disipating heat because it is not a closed system. If you want to know normal air at 295 K is 1.1981 Kg/M^3 and at 311 1.1364 for a difference of .0617Kg/M^3 not much of a difference.

socal3rdgen
10-21-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by 1988starter
Lets think about thhis density of air thing logicly. Lets say a CAI pulls in air at 72 degrees Farenhight about 295 degrees Kelvin the density of O2 is about 1.332 Kg/M^3 at 100 degrees about 311 kelvin O2 is 1.254 Kg/M^3 a difference of .078Kg/M^3 Not too much at all These numbers are not too far off and I am being generous with engine bay heat as air is russed in it swirls around disipating heat because it is not a closed system. If you want to know normal air at 295 K is 1.1981 Kg/M^3 and at 311 1.1364 for a difference of .0617Kg/M^3 not much of a difference.

man i need you as my math tutor!

1988starter
10-21-2002, 06:23 PM
I am an engineering science student I have too much usless knowlege but I can't spell worth shit. What can I say those are the numbers and I know on my car a short ram intake does make a difference it also made one on my friends tempo and I remember a couple of other guys here saying it made a nice difference 1989 sei being one. But anyway thanks for the compliment but I am only a calc 2 student.

kicker1_solo
10-21-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Pimp88Accord
hmm, you callin my short ram "rice"???? i got the whole tubing and filter for free, so :p

hah I have a bunch of stickers you can have for free too, want those? Just because it was cheap or even free does not exclude it from being rice. :D

mike_fx_u
10-21-2002, 08:18 PM
its all in ur head, it is still rice, and this thread is getting damn long

lol
Mike

startersgirl
10-22-2002, 05:50 AM
Well it must be in my tach and speedo too because it takes more reving to get to 60 at the same point.