PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Question?

91lowrider
03-04-2012, 09:46 AM
I have a question for anyone that can answer. I just replaced my cam seal, crank seal and the oil pump seal. I had a lil oil leak before but now its rolling down the oil pan while running. My question is since i put the new oil pump seals would that build the pressure enough to make the oil pump out harder and faster? I have a new oil filter base gasket and dizzy o ring on the way in the mail so im hopeing that will fix the prob. I cant even take it for a test drive for the fear that im going to loose to much oil on the drive and really mess up the engine.

Bluntman
03-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I have a question for anyone that can answer. I just replaced my cam seal, crank seal and the oil pump seal. I had a lil oil leak before but now its rolling down the oil pan while running. My question is since i put the new oil pump seals would that build the pressure enough to make the oil pump out harder and faster? I have a new oil filter base gasket and dizzy o ring on the way in the mail so im hopeing that will fix the prob. I cant even take it for a test drive for the fear that im going to loose to much oil on the drive and really mess up the engine.

That base gasket is where the pressure would really be the culprit. They get real brittle over the years. It makes since that it can really leak out of the old gasket
under pressure. I replaced mine and it along with the pan gasket etc. all as preventive maintenance. And it has no leaks. But that base mount is as the others are important. The base is under pressure as you know. Hope all works out well.

91lowrider
03-04-2012, 10:12 AM
That base gasket is where the pressure would really be the culprit. They get real brittle over the years. It makes since that it can really leak out of the old gasket
under pressure. I replaced mine and it along with the pan gasket etc. all as preventive maintenance. And it has no leaks. But that base mount is as the others are important. The base is under pressure as you know. Hope all works out well.

So could i have been loosing that much pressure through my oil pump seals and cam and crank seals? I did notice that my crank seal was in crooked but that is a noticible difference in leaking.

Bluntman
03-04-2012, 10:31 AM
So could i have been loosing that much pressure through my oil pump seals and cam and crank seals? I did notice that my crank seal was in crooked but that is a noticible difference in leaking.

They are all brittle with age and heat cycling. And along with all the others the base gasket being under direct oil pressure is a big culprit. Seems like you are on the right path.

91lowrider
03-04-2012, 10:39 AM
They are all brittle with age and heat cycling. And along with all the others the base gasket being under direct oil pressure is a big culprit. Seems like you are on the right path.

How hard is it to get to the filter base and change the gasket?

ecogabriel
03-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Not difficult at all; there are photos somewhere in this site. Maybe getting the gasket may prove a little bit more difficult (can't recall finding it in autozone or that kind of stores... Maybe NAPA but I bought mine online)

Bluntman
03-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Have not done one on your model. But here is the one on my 88 LXi. Not hard and you did all that on your car so it will be a cake walk for you. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73427&highlight=oil+filter+base+mount+gasket

91lowrider
03-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Have not done one on your model. But here is the one on my 88 LXi. Not hard and you did all that on your car so it will be a cake walk for you. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73427&highlight=oil+filter+base+mount+gasket

So while im down there i should replace the oil pressure sending unit?

Bluntman
03-04-2012, 11:28 AM
So while im down there i should replace the oil pressure sending unit?
I always do parts even if they are not related on old cars while they're are already out. Preventative maintenance is always wise. Just a cheap part it won't hurt.

91lowrider
03-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I always do parts even if they are not related on old cars while they're are already out. Preventative maintenance is always wise. Just a cheap part it won't hurt.

Is there anything else i should do while down there? Im thinking i might go ahead and install a oil pressure gauge to keep track. I have heard of ppl changeing the filter base gasket and oil pressure switch and then their oil pressure light comes on out of nowhere. What is the pressure reading suppose to be at?

ecogabriel
03-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Is there anything else i should do while down there? Im thinking i might go ahead and install a oil pressure gauge to keep track. I have heard of ppl changeing the filter base gasket and oil pressure switch and then their oil pressure light comes on out of nowhere. What is the pressure reading suppose to be at?

If you are going to install a pressure gauge, do not attach a T right on top of there. First, the threads are BSP (not NPT), but more importantly, the added weight of a T plus the sensor would make the T itself more likely to crack and break. It happened to me in a car I owned.

I am about to install a gauge so I bought an adaptor, a 90 degree elbow and flexible hose (1/8" NPT, 18 inch) to take the T right to the rear engine firewall and attach it there . I would have to add a piece of wire for the pressure sensor but I can use the hose as support for the extra wire. 18" lenght seems to be long enough for a 3G but I'll post once it is done.

91lowrider
03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
If you are going to install a pressure gauge, do not attach a T right on top of there. First, the threads are BSP (not NPT), but more importantly, the added weight of a T plus the sensor would make the T itself more likely to crack and break. It happened to me in a car I owned.

I am about to install a gauge so I bought an adaptor, a 90 degree elbow and flexible hose (1/8" NPT, 18 inch) to take the T right to the rear engine firewall and attach it there . I would have to add a piece of wire for the pressure sensor but I can use the hose as support for the extra wire. 18" lenght seems to be long enough for a 3G but I'll post once it is done.

Now what is BSP and NPT? So i guess the oil pressure gauge doesnt bolt right up?

Ichiban
03-04-2012, 01:22 PM
BSP and NPT are tapered sealing pipe threads. While 1/8 Sizes of the two appear similar, they are not interchangeable. They have different thread pitches (threads per inch) different thread forms and pitch line diameters. About all they share is a 3/4 inch taper per foot on pitch line diameter. I posted a bunch of info up here somewhere a while ago about the differences.

91lowrider
03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Does anybody know what size socket our oil pressure switches are? I went to autozone to check what size a new one is but when came home to remove mine the socket was to big.

91lowrider
03-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Ok so i found the 15psi autometer pressure switch but it says it closes at pressures of 15 PSI and lower, and opens at 18 PSI and higher. Well if you go and buy the stock one from autozone it says its normally Closed- Opens 3-9 PSI. So if you put the autometer in wouldnt it be reverse and go off when you drop below pressure?

Ichiban
03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Stock one opens above or below 3-9 psi?

91lowrider
03-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Stock one opens above or below 3-9 psi?

The stock opens once the psi drops below 9.