PDA

View Full Version : HOLY CRAP (Pics)

locknload68
05-11-2002, 06:03 AM
I've never seen anything like this. My mom has a 96 Stratus(Peice of crap) and she said that she heard some grinding coming from the left rear wheel when she put the brakes on. She said the pedal was also going to the floor. So, I go out and take off the wheel and drum and this is what I find.

http://home.woh.rr.com/picshere/Stratusbrake1.JPG
http://home.woh.rr.com/picshere/Stratusbrake2.JPG

You can see the clip for the right shoe in the drum.
http://home.woh.rr.com/picshere/Stratusbrake3.JPG
http://home.woh.rr.com/picshere/Stratusbrake4.JPG
http://home.woh.rr.com/picshere/Stratusbrake.JPG

:wtf:

If anyone has ideas as to what happened, let me know.

Vanilla Sky
05-11-2002, 06:12 AM
don't matter how it happened... GET ANOTHER CAR... that'll be the first in a long list of problems for it

Derick

locknload68
05-11-2002, 06:16 AM
I know, it needs a new head gasket too. Putting it off cuz it's just leaking oil slowly and there isn't any performance drop yet.

I personally HATE the car but I don't know if my mom has the finances to get another. Maybe I can get her to buy a 3rd gen :)

Bobs89LXi
05-11-2002, 07:11 AM
Where in the hell are your brake shoes? Please tell me that you removed them before taking the pics. You have bare metal there dude. That would explain the grinding noise. You also have a major brake fluid leak, which explains the spongy brake pedal. When was the last time she had brake service done?

POS carb
05-11-2002, 09:22 AM
the pads were wasted and then the brake cylinder expanded too far and slipped off so then it was over-extending and squirting out the brake fluid... you should change the pads and bleed the brakes, it should be ok

PhydeauX
05-11-2002, 09:52 AM
Blew the wheel cylender, most likely for the reason that pos said. You'll need to replace the wheel cylender, the shoes, and at least have the drum cut if possible, if not it will have to replaced. I'll assume that the shoe on the right is hanging off because you removerd the retaining spring. If you didn't and the shoes were like that when you took the drum off then you have bigger problems.

andy

locknload68
05-11-2002, 11:32 AM
Those pics are exactly how they were when I took the drums off. Last month, I replaced the shoes, springs and wheel cylinder because it was leaking fluid. I put it back together the way it was susposed to be. I am sure of that because my dad checked it and we've done work on brakes before.

Here's what I think happened... The stupid adjuster kept adjusting the shoes so they are ALWAYS pressed against the drum with some amount of force. This made the shoes wear down really fast. Once it got down to the metal, it started making a LOT of heat...My mom drives mostly highway so you can imagine how hot it got. I think this weakened the retaining clip to the point where it wouldn't hold the pin in place. I say this because the clip that fell off is much narrower than the other, meaning it didn't have enough spring to it to hold the pin. Eventually, the clip just came off letting the right show go wherever it wanted. That let the cylinder expand too much and break the seals. In the second pic you can see one of the pistons sitting on top of the adjuster, the dust boot on the piston was melted to the spring running across there. The other piston was still in there but the boot was very brittle and cracked all over. Also, look at how the springs are screwed up. There must have been some extreme heat in there.

I went out and got new shoes, springs, and a cylinder kit. I turned the drum and just got it all put back together. I need to bleed it and check that adjuster...might need a new one but there's not really anything that could be broken on it. Then I need to check the other side...hopefully it's not destorying itself too.

Sorry about the long message. I just wanted to say what I think was going on. :werd:

gruvmstr206
05-11-2002, 06:47 PM
OH NO, and its only a 1996. No wonder the american car companies are getting slaughtered by the foreign cars. If that was a 1996 accord, you would have NO problems (with regular maintenance)

PhydeauX
05-11-2002, 08:51 PM
Good theory, that would also account for why both shoes are worn down to the metal. The only thing I can think of is if it was getting that hot it would have stunk like all hell and probalby smoked a bit. Your mom probably would have noticed that, then again if she's anything like mine she probalby wouldn't have. I find it kinda odd for the adjuster to keep moveing out, I might point a finger at a stuck e-brake cable.

andy

Hoshizakido
05-12-2002, 01:01 AM
nevr by dodge excpecially the stratus my mom has a 99 and youd have to put a knife to my nutz to get me to trade it for my accord allready had to replace leaky head gasget and its not to quick not slow but not quik

Dutchboy
05-13-2002, 08:15 PM
The adjuster sticking or tightening alot could happen...it did to me once in a toyota corrolla.....was in the middle of the city and the brake nearly seized...well it did at slow speeds......got pissed off and drove the shit out of it all the way home.....then i broke the cylinder trying to pry the drum off.....
So it can happen.....it had a brand new e-brake cable put in a month before too..
ben

locknload68
05-14-2002, 12:36 PM
Yeah, the adjuster seems to be adjusting them out too far. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it though. I'll have to see if I can get a new one somewhere.