PDA

View Full Version : Hello

wilsonhill12
03-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Hey my names jacob and i have recently acquired a 88 accord from my uncle, and being a 17 year old teenager (don't underestimate may car knowledge :P) ive been wanting to do a couple performance mods to it and maybe a auto to manual swap.

Basically i'd like to get power around 100-120hp and being a sedan i would also like to get weight down a bit. i would like to do some spirited driving through the mountains.

it has a a20a3 in it, so what would you suggest for modifications?

No im not going to put a spoiler on and a fart cannon, im not like that..

Im going to school getting my level one automotive technician apprenticeship, so i have and abundance of usable tools.

Thanks in advanced

RAZR
03-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Welcome to the forum from Illinois.
Post pics of the car!

I would first for mods is the auto to manual swap. After that get a short ram and full exhaust and msd ignition. I dont kno if u want to start throwing internals at the car but bisimoto makes valve spring cams and adjustable cams for our motors.

Hope this helps.

wilsonhill12
03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I shall post pictures when I can, it's a lxi, power everything with about 250,xxx kms, now all I need for the swap is pedal, tranny, and master cylinder right? I have never swapped an auto to manual before, I'm sure there is a how to on here, I'll search for one when I'm on a computer not a phone, thanks for the welcome. :)

wilsonhill12
03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Found the how to, wow I was way off, quite a lot of stuff I forgot.. I'll have to save up some cash for it.. I think it would be quite rewarding though, how do you think I should get one, scrap yard? I have a local pick and pull. Problem is, like everyone, I don't have that much money to play with.. Ideas?

Also, what size exhaust do you recomend? 2inch, 2 1/2 inch?

hondalude86
03-06-2012, 09:45 PM
welcome from denver colorado! I would hit up your local pic and pull for the pedals, shifter, linkages and the sorts. for the trans, i'd try and source one from this site. You can use a trans from a 2nd gen prelude as well. Ideally, you'd want to get a new clutch and flywheel... Oh and one other thing... if your new to honda... make sure you get the proper bolts for the flywheel. I've seen people use the bolts from the flexplates and with nothing but bad news to report. YOu'll know your getting the right ones because the manual bolts usually have an MT stamped into the head, much like the automatics have an AT stamped into them...

wilsonhill12
03-06-2012, 11:12 PM
welcome from denver colorado! I would hit up your local pic and pull for the pedals, shifter, linkages and the sorts. for the trans, i'd try and source one from this site. You can use a trans from a 2nd gen prelude as well. Ideally, you'd want to get a new clutch and flywheel... Oh and one other thing... if your new to honda... make sure you get the proper bolts for the flywheel. I've seen people use the bolts from the flexplates and with nothing but bad news to report. YOu'll know your getting the right ones because the manual bolts usually have an MT stamped into the head, much like the automatics have an AT stamped into them...

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

I'll probably have a build thread in the next couple weeks after I do some research.

Thanks for the nice welcome, most forums are not very welcoming when they hear I'm 17.

hondalude86
03-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Hey buddy, i was 17 on a forum too... not as retarded as some are now, but it gives me a chuckle when i read my old forum posts... some day that'll be you... remember not everyone is patient and try not to take everything negative said personal... if you keep your chin up, and actually use the advice when asking, you'll be great. My personal number one pet peeve... when people ask for my advice, and they go against it... Why even ask if you weren't going to take it right?

91lowrider
03-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Why even ask if you weren't going to take it right?

Well Said!!

obdriver6
03-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Welcome! With a 5 speed swap you'll feel the difference in power but if you still want more, go with the basics (intake, headers, cat back, even a cam regrind). Also do a lot of searching, there's a lot of info here!

Hash_man_Se_i
03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Jacob, welcome to the forum from Vancouver!

This forum has a wealth of knowledge and information. As long as you search and don't start new threads every day asking questions that have already been answered numerous times, most people will be pretty friendly and helpful haha.

I can't say I have done a manual swap on our cars myself, but being that it uses a cable operated clutch it is a lot simpler then many other vehicles. I should still have my factory 5spd ECU, and some other parts back in Calgary if you need them, along with some other stuff, I'm not exactly sure what is there.

However, pick n pull is going to be your best option for sourcing the conversion parts, so try and find one nearby.

Anyways, good luck with your project, and welcome to 3geez.