PDA

View Full Version : Broken bolt

go2eleven
03-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Hey, guys. Wondering if anyone might give me a pointer. I just bought an 88 DX. I was changing the distributor cap, and the back bolt sheared right off - the threads are still in the bolt hole. There is nothing sticking out for me to grab with vice grips, and not enough room for the new bolt to grab the threads in the hole. How do I get this thing out?

Thanks in advance.

RAZR
03-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Have you tried using a screw extractor?

Drill a small pilot hole in the broken bolt and use the screw extractor to remove bolt.

ecogabriel
03-06-2012, 07:31 PM
So, one of the screws that held the distributor cap broke right?

It happened to me and the solution was not pretty. Basically, I removed the distributor, drilled the bastard out and then re-tap the hole.
I believe the thread is 4mm (taps can be had from ace hardware) so the drill bit has to be smaller (1/8"). But it worked; I had done that before. You need a steady hand and going slowly and as centered in the hole as possible.

I do not know if a screw extractor is small enough to get that screw out, but if the screw extractor breaks, it is hardened steel so it cannot be drilled out. On the other hand, the same may happen using a tap if you are not careful, but if you go slowly it will work. Besides, if you got the screw drilled right, most of the stuff remaining in the hole would be the threads of the broken screw and little extra material.

Hope it helps, my 0.02

go2eleven
03-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Does the mounting hole go all the way through, like the front hole? And, if so, is the hole threaded all the way through? I was thinking I could PB'last the broken piece and then tap it through the threads with a tiny screwdriver. Painstaking, but doesn't require a drill.

pickupman6
03-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Left handed drill bit ftw

ecogabriel
03-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Does the mounting hole go all the way through, like the front hole? And, if so, is the hole threaded all the way through? I was thinking I could PB'last the broken piece and then tap it through the threads with a tiny screwdriver. Painstaking, but doesn't require a drill.

The hole goes all the way through as far as I remember. I am not clear on how you would like to take it out though.
The tap and drill bit are dirty cheap (4-5 bucks a piece possibly); a variable speed drill would work fine there (that is what I used)