PDA

View Full Version : Headers?

vteckiller
03-07-2012, 02:47 AM
So i've been looking at the CLOSES match to the a20a3 header, and the one i found is for 98-00 accord it looks like it would be a straight bolt up. i am headed to the junk yard tomorrow if it isnt raining and am going to snag one from one and try it on a block there and see whats up. anyone know if this will work? maybe work? or is it just one of those.. its already been tried, asked, made, welcome to owning the a20a3 the most custom honda engine ever? lol.

Vanilla Sky
03-07-2012, 05:33 AM
In the end, if we can get a header that has the correct port spacing but the wrong flange, it can be made to work. Weding on a new flange is a few hours of work, but it could potentially open up some cheap turbo manifolds for us.

A18A
03-07-2012, 05:56 AM
wasn't A20A1 (the member) modifying a f-series one to fit a A series?

cygnus x-1
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
So i've been looking at the CLOSES match to the a20a3 header, and the one i found is for 98-00 accord it looks like it would be a straight bolt up. i am headed to the junk yard tomorrow if it isnt raining and am going to snag one from one and try it on a block there and see whats up. anyone know if this will work? maybe work? or is it just one of those.. its already been tried, asked, made, welcome to owning the a20a3 the most custom honda engine ever? lol.

What are you trying to accomplish? There are headers available that fit the A20A3, namely Pacesetter and OBX. There is also a place in AU called Hurricane that makes one too, although it doesn't have provisions for EGR so you would need to delete that or weld on a bung.

C|

stat1K
03-07-2012, 10:41 AM
that and the obx is the best option for the price in my opinion...

vteckiller
03-07-2012, 11:48 AM
There is two brands, paceshitter, and Obx, no turbo manifolds. so im trying to accomplish the fact of having options on headers 4-1, 4-2-1, turbo manifolds. my bad...

cygnus x-1
03-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Oh, you're looking for turbo manifolds. Then no, there aren't any off the shelf.

Nothing is going to bolt right up either, so forget about that. These heads are fairly unique because they have only 3 valves per cylinder, and the exhaust ports are not centered with the cylinders. So finding an off the shelf manifold with even the same tube spacing will be a long shot at best. This is why everyone that does a turbo conversion here either has a custom manifold made or buys one that someone else had custom made. I'm no expert on A20 turbo conversions, but I think if you search around in the FI forum you will find the above to be true.

C|

vteckiller
03-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Oh, you're looking for turbo manifolds. Then no, there aren't any off the shelf.

Nothing is going to bolt right up either, so forget about that. These heads are fairly unique because they have only 3 valves per cylinder, and the exhaust ports are not centered with the cylinders. So finding an off the shelf manifold with even the same tube spacing will be a long shot at best. This is why everyone that does a turbo conversion here either has a custom manifold made or buys one that someone else had custom made. I'm no expert on A20 turbo conversions, but I think if you search around in the FI forum you will find the above to be true.

C|

Right, well it was one of them things i seen looking on the web to possibly find something hiden or a goodie little website and seen these 98-00 honda accord headers look at close the a20a3 headers, i had purchased a set of the paceshitters and returned them withen 1-2 days after getting them cause of how poorly manufactured they where.. It seems the 3rd generation accords got left behind and forgotten.

cygnus x-1
03-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Right, well it was one of them things i seen looking on the web to possibly find something hiden or a goodie little website and seen these 98-00 honda accord headers look at close the a20a3 headers, i had purchased a set of the paceshitters and returned them withen 1-2 days after getting them cause of how poorly manufactured they where.. It seems the 3rd generation accords got left behind and forgotten.

That's because there is no market. The vast majority of people that own 3g Accords aren't willing to spend any significant money on aftermarket parts. So very few companies make anything.

BMC used to make exhaust manifold flanges for the A20 (for custom manifolds). No idea if they still do but you could contact them and see.

http://www.bmcrace.com/

C|

obdriver6
03-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Like cygnus said, not a lot of companies make parts for our cars and it suck but again not a lot of people are willing to pay. Also, If BMC doesn't make exhaust flanges anymore, they have some at weir-tech.

http://www.weir-tech.com/honda/honda-a20a-exhaust-head-flange-3/8-mild-steel/

turabaka
03-08-2012, 01:00 AM
That's because there is no market. The vast majority of people that own 3g Accords aren't willing to spend any significant money on aftermarket parts. So very few companies make anything.

BMC used to make exhaust manifold flanges for the A20 (for custom manifolds). No idea if they still do but you could contact them and see.

http://www.bmcrace.com/

C|

weir-tech still makes flanges for our motors. I just ordered an intake manifold flange from them the other day, so that I can make a new manifold for my new set of yamaha r1 mikunis. I saw they have the exhaust flange listed too.

vteckiller
03-18-2012, 12:09 AM
weir-tech still makes flanges for our motors. I just ordered an intake manifold flange from them the other day, so that I can make a new manifold for my new set of yamaha r1 mikunis. I saw they have the exhaust flange listed too.

Well now, i've located a flange for the exhaust, but on a side note. they make all kinds of parts for the civics/crx/prelude. but accords got forgotten until 1990. in a way im glad cause its not like ever honda owner out there with a civic acting like too fast too furious.. just one of them things as a 3g accord owner. you deal with it. i don't penny pinch on my whips period. i've spent we'll over 2000$ in getting her driving good. and getting the suspension replaced and the hubs all the bearings, the whole works. 1200$ in rim/tires motegi's wrapped in some 205/40/17 kuhmos. currently working on coilovers/turbo mani for this springs a20 turbo.