PDA

View Full Version : Engine keeps stalling mechanics can't figure it out

CreativilyNsane
03-07-2012, 04:30 PM
1989 Honda Accord LX (carb, automatic) 172,000 miles

This car would sometimes stall out only on right turns, took to several mechanics they could never get it to stall. they would tell me this car ran like a champ and had no problems.

Over the summer it began doing this on left turns. The car stayed at an autoshop for a month! they said it was a vacuum leak and a leaking valve.
Barely 2 weeks later the stalling came back. In September 2011 I had replaced auxillary fuel filter, battery, and oil pan gasket and power stearing leak repaired to minor leak. After doing this the car ran for 4 months straight no problem! Only problem was every turn i made the belt would squeal for a long time

In January it rained like crazy and i didn't drive the car much. The problems came back and the engine sounded very rough. I replaced distributor cap and rotor spark plugs and wires and air filter.

Last Wednesday I had it towed to mechanic, I had the fuel filter replaced and a NEW napa alternator put in.

Friday night the car went back to mechanic. it kept stalling whenever i came to a stop or let off on gas. I can keep the engine running if I switch into neutral real quick. It doesn't like to idle.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

91lowrider
03-07-2012, 04:37 PM
1989 Honda Accord LX (carb, automatic) 172,000 miles

This car would sometimes stall out only on right turns, took to several mechanics they could never get it to stall. they would tell me this car ran like a champ and had no problems.

Over the summer it began doing this on left turns. The car stayed at an autoshop for a month! they said it was a vacuum leak and a leaking valve.
Barely 2 weeks later the stalling came back. In September 2011 I had replaced auxillary fuel filter, battery, and oil pan gasket and power stearing leak repaired to minor leak. After doing this the car ran for 4 months straight no problem! Only problem was every turn i made the belt would squeal for a long time

In January it rained like crazy and i didn't drive the car much. The problems came back and the engine sounded very rough. I replaced distributor cap and rotor spark plugs and wires and air filter.

Last Wednesday I had it towed to mechanic, I had the fuel filter replaced and a NEW napa alternator put in.

Friday night the car went back to mechanic. it kept stalling whenever i came to a stop or let off on gas. I can keep the engine running if I switch into neutral real quick. It doesn't like to idle.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

What does your idle sit at in park and in drive?

CreativilyNsane
03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Around 2000 rpm. I had someone raise it for me, not sure if done correctly. While in park if i tap the gas it just dies. When in drive can't press the brake or it dies

91lowrider
03-07-2012, 05:01 PM
I would think either fuel delivery or timing. Has the carb ever be rebuilt?

CreativilyNsane
03-07-2012, 05:10 PM
My cousin had the car for a few years before i got it back. I believe the carb was rebuilt along with a few other things in the engine.

91lowrider
03-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Was anything changed or replaced before it started stalling out?

CreativilyNsane
03-07-2012, 05:38 PM
When I first got the car back. My cousin had installed a pioneer cd player that took alot of power. While it was on it would constantly shut itself off and back on. So last summer I finally had that taken care of, replaced with a 97 prelude cd player. And I no longer have that irritating problem. Either then that regular oil changes and constantly having to recharge the battery.

carotman
03-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Check the idle Solenoid behind the carb.

I had a very similar problem and when I applied power to the solenoid, the probleme went away. I still don't know what caused the solenoid to not receive power in the 1st place since the car is now in storage since then.

lexanbobby
03-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Possible main relay?

ShyBoyCA6
03-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Possible main relay?

doesn't have one

ghettogeddy
03-13-2012, 11:00 PM
had the same issue with my old lx and its was the secondary venturi was loose/ missing the bolt cause it to lean and not give fuel/air..

A18A
03-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Check the idle Solenoid behind the carb.

I had a very similar problem and when I applied power to the solenoid, the probleme went away. I still don't know what caused the solenoid to not receive power in the 1st place since the car is now in storage since then.

x2. had the same problem on all the honda single carbed cars which i've forgoten to apply power to the solenoid

CreativilyNsane
03-25-2012, 09:45 PM
I got the car back yesterday morning. They replaced the thermostat and coolant sensor. I drove half a block to work after picking it up. got off last night car started fine. I always wait for it to fully warm up before driving it. once i tapped the gas to bring down the high idle it was rough. It sounds like a diesel engine. It finally warmed up and i went to drive... it shut off. I tryed restarting, it would only restart after i pumped the gas pedal, and the rpm would go below 1000 then shut back off. I called the mechanic and he had it towed back to the shop no charge. They can't seem to figure it out.

What is this Solenoid? Is there a direct name for it?

lostforawhile
03-25-2012, 09:52 PM
has anyone checked the fuel filters? there are two, and the fuel pump pressure?

lostforawhile
03-25-2012, 09:55 PM
print this thread out http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48568&highlight=loose+booster and read it or take it to your mechanic,if he won't look at it, go somewhere else,this is a very likely possible culprit

CreativilyNsane
03-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Both fuel filters have been replaced. They told me they've ruled out its not fuel related and not alternator related. and that all my fuses and relays are good.

lostforawhile
03-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Both fuel filters have been replaced. They told me they've ruled out its not fuel related and not alternator related. and that all my fuses and relays are good.

read the thread I posted loose booster venturi, it will act up especially when turning in one direction

CreativilyNsane
03-31-2012, 11:24 PM

CreativilyNsane
06-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Carburetor was rebuilt in April. Still had problems with idle, got that adjusted. Since having this done, the car stalls once in awhile.

import racer
06-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Have you checked the fuel cut off module in back of the fuse panel under the dash.

2oodoor
06-18-2012, 04:08 PM
You found a mechanic in 2012 that can rebuild that carb you done something.
Said mech cant figure this out i would bet something rotten in denmark.
Lostfor awhile is right. And this was not looked at? The boosters work loose probably more often on carbs that have been apart before.
As for stalling when you mash the brake at idle that means Low vacuum.

CreativilyNsane
06-18-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm getting ready to take the car back to mechanic. He wants to get an early start on it in morning. I'm going to let him know about Carb Venturi Boost, PCV Filter, Fuel Solenoid behind Carb, and Catalytic Converter incase its clogged