PDA

View Full Version : Transmission leaking badly at driveshaft?

Brennan
03-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Hey guys, I'll keep it short and sweet cause I need an answer fast - I'm using the car for deliveries and if I don't have it running I don't have a job. :)

Been driving around recently, noticed that car is leaking. It's transmission fluid, and it's leaking a fair amount. Had a mechanic put it up on the lift and he showed me that the one axle (not sure if that's right, please bear with me, don't know the names for all this stuff just yet) is really loose.

It has been making noises that sound like road debris hitting the undercarriage but it looks like that noise is from where the axle (?) goes into the transmission. Noises are random grinding / popping, sounds like I hit a manhole cover.

Mechanic told me I would need a new transmission, but it was replaced only about 1.5 years ago!!

Please help me, I need to fix this by tonight. I need to know if it's possible to buy the axle and install it, if that might fix the leak, or if not what my options are.

Any and all ideas, questions...go for it. I can post pictures or whatever if necessary. I'm good at figuring this stuff out but I figured asking the experts (haha) would be much smarter. :)

Thanks and all help is really appreciated!

89 Accord LX-i, 5 speed.

ecogabriel
03-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Which axle? Driver side or passenger side?
Mechanic and a new transmission? How does the axle moves?

If it is axial -that is going inside and out of the transmission housing, the clip holding the axle inside the transmission might be loose not holding the axle in its place. If it moves radially... well, it may be the transmission. That requires you go and inspect or at least go with your "mechanic" and see what he does... because I DO NOT trust "mechanics"

Yes, you may replace the axle yourself provided you have a good breaker bar to remove the axle nut.... consult service manuals here. The axle "c" clip may possibly be had from a parts store like NAPA.

Brennan
03-09-2012, 10:55 AM
I got you on mechanics trying to screw you over, that's why I think needing a new transmission is bs (and he just doesn't want to repair it) but that was a guy at Midas.

My normal mechanic is family, works for an honest (albeit expensive) shop. He installed the transmission about 1.5 years ago and I believe it was rebuilt (brother had the car then).

Driver's side axle. I got a seal from Star here in Riverside, CA that hopefully will stop the leaking. He said it goes against the transmission where the axle enters (again, drivers side).

Someone mentioned there's a bearing right inside that the axle plugs into that can be replaced if the transmission is pulled. Possibility? I'll check on that clip as well, thanks for mentioning it!

Brennan
03-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Pictures - hope these help!

Where the driveshaft enters the transmission
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/197/p1030145p.jpg

The spring that was in there jamming things up
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6828/p1030148r.jpg

I bought that seal (it has a circular spring that you see in the pictures that was all torn up in the transmission) and the guy said it just pushes on there...it looks to me like it goes inside the transmission, am I right? That would be my luck :)

Help as always is very appreciated! :)

Brennan
03-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Ok guys, looks like the transmission is effed. The guy at a transmission place drove it and said that it's probably a bearing, or a shaft that might be bent, or a number of things. I'm going to pull it out - keep in mind I've never dug this deep into a car - and bring it in to him to have fixed. The seal I put in is already torn up after just a little driving, and is dumping all the fresh oil I put in last night.

Any tips on removal?