PDA

View Full Version : Axle Replacement - How Long?

gyates93
03-08-2012, 05:22 PM
A quick question:

I need to replace a CV axle on the passenger side of my '89 3G auto, wondering how long this repair normally takes when doing the work yourself?
I have access to a lift and any tools needed.

I'll need to :
Drain transmisson
Disassemble and remove axle and seal
Replace axle and seal
Fill transmission.

However, it looks like I'll only have from 6-10 on Friday night to complete this work as the car club here in Kingston is closing for two weeks as of Saturday, do you think four hours is enough time?

I have never changed a CV axle before, but I have enough experience that I'm not intimidated by the task. I don't anticipate any problems with stuck bolts and such, the car is just dripping in Krown and everything was nice and easy when I did my brake pads and rotors a couple weeks ago.

Are there any tips for performing this job?

Thanks!

88lxi-shortram
03-08-2012, 07:16 PM
no need to drain if ur just doin axle. just take wheel off, bust suspension loose, remove axle, go ahead and replace axle seal while ur there, put in new axle, tighten up suspension and enjoy. if u have all the tools and some patience itll happen in an hour maybe 2 if its ur first time

gyates93
03-09-2012, 04:09 AM
I'm going to drain and refill anyway with Honda ATF. Transmission has no leaks as of now and works well, but I believe there is not genuine honda fluid in there.

obdriver6
03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
4 hours should be more than enough. The lift will make the work a whole lot easier.

ShyBoyCA6
03-12-2012, 08:02 PM
no need to drain if ur just doin axle. just take wheel off, bust suspension loose, remove axle, go ahead and replace axle seal while ur there, put in new axle, tighten up suspension and enjoy. if u have all the tools and some patience itll happen in an hour maybe 2 if its ur first time

better if you drain unless you want oil on the floor. which doesn't stain right away like oil. shouldn't take more than 45 mins each side. then double check before proceeding to the next step.

gyates93
03-13-2012, 03:24 AM
Figured I'd update everyone!

The CV axle was replaced friday night with very few problems, there were not any stuck bolts to remove or anything like that. I took off the fork, broke the axle nut, popped off the lower ball joint, and hammered the old axle out of the hub. The old axle was DEFINITELY in need of replacement, the joint just flopped around loosely and there was no grease left in there.

The only hitch I encountered was in reassembly, Carquest provided me with the wrong seal and it would not allow the new axle to seat in the transmission. After an hour of cursing and swearing I finally figured it out and put the old seal back in there, at which point the new axle slid into the transmission like it was nothing.

As well, on a side note, after replacing the transmission fluid with Honda ATF (A synthetic replacement for Z-1 @ over 10 bucks a litre!) it seems like the car is shifting a little smoother especially at operating temperature. But, that could be my brain trying to justify the pricey fluid..

ecogabriel
03-13-2012, 05:54 AM
Glad you got the job done, and that you did not destroy the old seal when removing it... stupid salespeople!

The Honda ATF would make our transmission shift smoother - that has been reported here. I still use Dexron III; our transmissions were originally designed for use with Dexron-Mercon which is written on the fill/level check cap, later replaced by Dexron II and III. Adding a transmission cooler should improve transmission's lifespan by lowering operating temperature.