PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Gas Tank...From top.

Susanoo
03-13-2012, 02:09 PM
89 DX body, LXI engine. I've still got the DX tank too. Basically my tank is leaking from the top, left side as your looking down onto the two service holes from inside the car. Now the guy at my local honda said that this paticular hole is for the "fuel shut off valve"...This doesnt make anysense to me since this hole has NO fuel lines running to it and the pump doesnt hook up to this side in any way. So my question is, what really sits under that hole...its got a 4 pin plug that goes to it with only 3 wires in it. How do i know its leaking? Well theres this loud hiss and gas stains all around this "device". How do I get that ring off or can I just maybe tighten this "locking ring" to get me by for 5 days while I wait for the replacement seal?...

Bluntman
03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Fuel level sending unit. The other is pump. On EFI.

Bluntman
03-13-2012, 02:26 PM
I am not understanding what you mean really.

Susanoo
03-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Its the same between the two tanks...the only difference between fuel tanks are the little plates inside to control splashing...forgot what they're called. So basically the guys at my local honda shop are ignorant...

However Im talking about the ring that holds the fuel level sending unit down...It looks like the ring just rotates around to line up with some tabs but I've broken enough clips and bolts on older cars to learn to ask when im not sure :P

ShyBoyCA6
03-13-2012, 05:19 PM
1. bolts are loose and need to be tighten down. 2. Gasket is warn out.

what little ring are you talking about? Why use a Dx tank and not a Lx-i one?

Susanoo
03-15-2012, 06:18 PM
1. bolts are loose and need to be tighten down. 2. Gasket is warn out.

what little ring are you talking about? Why use a Dx tank and not a Lx-i one?

Theres no bolts...Im not talking about the fuel pump/hanger assembly. Im talking about the fuel float...the little device that reads how much fuel is in the tank...

Theres a rotating ring on it and it looks like you just slide it around to match up with some tabs and it pops up....I assume. I havent tried to re-seal it yet. The problem is that this seal is discontinued by Honda. No luck cross referencing at pep boys or oreily's. Autozone might have a Spectra Perfomance replacement but I havent been back to check it out. (I had them order it to see if it IS a replacement)

Why am I still using a dx tank? Because Pull A Part slashes their tanks so I havent found a replacement yet and i've got bigger concerns right now anyway.

kentwat
03-19-2012, 07:01 PM
did you try rockauto.com there is a fuel tank sending ring

Susanoo
03-20-2012, 03:24 PM
did you try rockauto.com there is a fuel tank sending ring

I actually went back to check on that part that autozone had and its basically a direct fit. However it still hasnt sealed so I decided to try and bend the tabs a little so it pushes down a little more. If that doesnt work then idunno :\

UPDATE: It still leaked so what I've tried now is re-seating the o-ring under the floats flange with the same amount of gasket poking out around the sides all around. Then as a further step I bent the little alignment tab down against the gasket because it doesnt have a symmetrical flange, where that tab is, it just goes flat for the tab so theres that little half inch space where the gasket could leak. This is also exactly where its been leaking from. SO we'll see if this fixes it.

Susanoo
06-15-2012, 03:11 PM
SO...im still fighting with this...anyone have another idea? The ring is tight and so is the seal...I dont understand whats wrong.

rc00netzero
08-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Susanoo: Couple of other possibilities came to my mind.
1. The internal seals around the electrical connections on the sender unit have failed.
2. You have a problem with the vent system on the tank and the pressure is getting too high (thus the hissing sound) possibly from a stuck valve, kinked vent line, etc.