PDA

View Full Version : What was supposed to be easy...

HelenKellerrr
03-14-2012, 04:36 PM
I started working on replacing all the struts so ill pass inspection. Turns out the the inside of my tires are wearing out really fast, as in that they are almost bare and the tires were relatively new when i got the car. Then i realized my cv boots were destroyed, so i decided i also needed to pull the axle on both sides.

On the left, so when i was removing the shock absorber fork, the bolt would not budge and snapped :rocket: so then i ended up having to destroy the bushing to get it out. :chainsaw: Everything else came off with relative ease. I pulled the struts and replaced them and my car just hit 100k miles and is from 89 and had the original struts on still. I pulled the axle cause the outside boot was ripped and i could see the joint.

now to the right, i figured that the lower arm bushing was going to give me problems (which it did) so i ended up cutting that one along with the bushing. This sides cv boot was ripped too, but grease got thrown everywhere. but i got of the strut and replaced it and go figure this strut wasnt replaced either.

During all of this, i replaced my alternator, which was the easiest part of my day, which turned out to be 8 hours long.

So at the end of day one, i got the front taken apart, ordered new axles for both sides since i didnt know how long they were exposed for and if dirt got in them, gotta go to honda tomorrow for two new bushings and maybe the bolts :hmph: and new brake pads, since the one was cracked.

so what i gots to do is put the front back together, do the back struts on both sides, replace the axles and brakes, and hopefully nothing else will turn up.

CzEcHy
03-14-2012, 06:54 PM
You may want to grab the rear bushings and new bolts. Trust me.

Bolts will rust in the bushing and not do anything but spin the entire thing with air and hand tools.

Happened to me on both sides

A18A
03-14-2012, 07:30 PM
it's always the tasks that should take a couple hours that turn into a couple days/weeks

HelenKellerrr
03-14-2012, 08:25 PM
I find that true ever since i got my honda. took two weeks to figure out what was wrong when my fitv crapped.

my favorite part was that just for the struts and alternator, they were like 350 from advanced auto. Now its time to get it from honda when i get four bushings from them and if i get the bolts :eek:

they want like 30 for the bushing and 14 for the bolt

CzEcHy
03-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Take old bolts to Ace Hardware or something similar. I got my replacements from them. Perfect fit.

2oodoor
03-15-2012, 09:16 AM
it's always the tasks that should take a couple hours that turn into a couple days/weeks

i know right, I hate that and it gives me a mind block everytime I need to get something done

HelenKellerrr
03-15-2012, 11:32 AM
same grade and all?

I got the back struts off and what a world of difference. Everything went super smooth. The time it took me just to get a front strut off it took me to change the back. Front end is going back together, have to wait til tomorrow for the bushing from honda.

then come alignment then inspection :barf:

obdriver6
03-15-2012, 10:58 PM
You always have to be prepared to spend a little more time than expected when you work on these cars! lol

gyates93
03-16-2012, 03:26 AM
You always have to be prepared to spend a little more time than expected when you work on these cars! lol

I think that's a given with most cars, especially ones that are over 20 years old, particularly when rust is involved! And I have definitely found that patience and working methodically certainly beats the crap out of going at it with a hammer..

I got lucky, my 3G is not rusty at all. However, I STILL spent 20 minutes last week trying to figure out how to get enough torque on the dipstick for my transmission to get it out..

A18A
03-16-2012, 04:16 AM
lol i put aside 2 days to to a motor swap (usually it takes a couple hours, but i was installing a h22a) ended up taking a whole week before i could drive it again haha

HelenKellerrr
03-16-2012, 09:31 AM
That's how it always seems to go when i work on this car. I dont mind it though cause it's a great car.

I just got my bushings, nuts, and bolts from honda. That was just about 70 for all of them. Now to put them on and then alignment and inspection. hopefully i dont need tires on top of all of this too

bushing
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj629/Kyle_Purcell/2012-03-16131650.jpg

bolt
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj629/Kyle_Purcell/2012-03-16131705.jpg

My next job is going to be my timing belt and water pump. Any estimates on how much time this is gonna take? I think im gonna need to replace a ring in the injectors from what im reading, but ive never messed with those before in my life. Im thinking about getting a yakima roof rack too, but idk if i need the stretch kit and i dont feel like spending 400 + dollars on it.

Tdurr
03-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Hmmm timing belt.. I'd like to do that on my car....

But I feel ur rant 1000%. It's the 15 min oil change that took 2 days...

gyates93
03-19-2012, 03:20 AM
Hmmm timing belt.. I'd like to do that on my car....

But I feel ur rant 1000%. It's the 15 min oil change that took 2 days...

I am indescribably glad that my car got a new radiator, alternator, and timing belt before I bought it this year..

HelenKellerrr
03-21-2012, 02:40 PM
I am indescribably glad that my car got a new radiator, alternator, and timing belt before I bought it this year..

youre a lucky man. I thought changing the alternator was pretty easy imo (compared to the rest of the stuff i was doing..)

just had the car inspected and aligned and she pasted, even though i waited 3 hours and 45 minutes at cj tires