PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack Swap Ideas?

bcookt06394
10-17-2002, 04:57 PM
First of all, thanks for the great message board! I just got this car and it's great to find a good forum! I've been working on Porsche 924s for several years now, and I am glad to find a community of 3Geezers that are just as crazy about their cars as the 924 crowd!

Back to business: We are building a 3G Accord for AX and drag competition, and then it will be converted for SCCA ProRally with full cage, seem welding, and such. For now, though, I need to make it handle better. I've got the suspension and brakes planned, but I am looking for a quicker ratio manual steering rack. Any ideas? Maybe from a civic? I'm not afraid of fabrication, but easier is preferred!

thanks!
bc

PhydeauX
10-17-2002, 05:08 PM
Rumor has it that european cars have quicker racks. Thats just a rumor, and if you do look into it make sure its from a country that drives on the right side of the road.

andy

carotman
10-17-2002, 05:25 PM
there are manual racks in Canada

night
10-17-2002, 06:12 PM
83 lude had a manual rack as standard.
gonna be hard as hell to find though. no doubt everyone that bought one got the optional power steering.

i thought about it myself but its not worth the trouble unless i completely luck out.

smufguy
10-17-2002, 07:44 PM
why not custom make one since u guys are pro's with lathe and mill. get hold of a CNC and ur done is a flash. There should be smaller ratio racks from other cars that u can adapt. HOw about ones from the civics?

Site
11-23-2002, 11:43 AM
I just received a manual steering rack that I purchased from AccordEXi (he's in Canada). I'll post pics of it next to the stock power rack once it's removed so you can see the difference. Gimme a couple of weeks - LOL.