PDA

View Full Version : clutch issues-(please forgive the long post)

89accord_guy
03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
Ain't been on here in a while, dunno if i've even posted b4 but, well, here goes...

I have an 89 lxi 5sp. tranny lost 5th and clutch was going out-(went 20k+ miles using 4 gears)
so, little more than a month ago, i replaced both.
here's the problem: in going to see my mom@da hospital literally yesterday, i was merging pretty hard- 1st to 2nd, all was well- 2nd to 3rd, clutch held on for like 2 seconds then went out- no engagement what so ever.
after coasting nearly a mile, came to a stop and opened the hood-saw that the clutch cable had somehow came loose and gained nearly 2 inches of travel. i removed the cable from the clutch pivot arm lever thingy and said arm had like 3 inches of travel b4 any resistance was felt. looking under the dash, saw that the cable had a little bit of play on the pedal side, so i rigged it so that the cable actually pulled up on the pivot arm, hoping that i could at least limp it off the main roadway. this did NOT work as the car would engage in gear, but go like it had a used million mile clutch- AND THEN when it did engage, (sorta) i got chatter and a BUNCH of burnt clutch smoke.
anyways, im trying to avoid pulling the trans for now but the chatter...
without a clutch cable attatched to it, how much free play should the clutch lever have? how bout an easy way to pull the clutch pedal ass'y? any advice would b much appreciated...

zenapup
03-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Well according to the service manual for my 88, the clutch release arm (the thing on the transmission where the clutch cable goes) should have 5.2-6.4mm (13/64-1/4 in.) free play.

The clutch pedal has many specs
1. Clutch pedal disengagement height-57mm (2.28 in.) minimum to the carpet (not the floor mat)
2. Stroke at pedal-145-150mm (5.8-6.0in.)
3. Freeplay at pedal-15-25mm (.6-1.0in.)
4. Clutch pedal height-178mm (7.12in.) to carpet
The clutch cable is adjusted by a knob (just follow the cable up from the transmission, you will eventually feel it)
Hope this helps and good luck!

Dr_Snooz
03-21-2012, 10:54 PM
I'd say your clutch fork is broken. You'll know for sure when you open it up.

89accord_guy
03-22-2012, 05:58 AM
i dunno how that could b:(
but i DO get that damn chatter-
with the cable off, the lever hangs WAAAY down, n while the engine running like this, i hear the chatter, but goes away when i pull the lever up to engage the clutch; the noise is still there, but i guess when its trying to engage the noise gets lower