PDA

View Full Version : Maintenence on an '88 Accord

accord88dx
03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Hi everybody:

I recently purchased a 1988 Accord DX (carbed) which I am in the process of fixing up. It has 166k miles on it and the only problem it has with it is burning oil from leaking gaskets dripping onto the manifold. I am not sure of the service but I do know the oil and filter were changed about 3 months ago. So far I have replaced the valve cover gasket and valve cover washers. I also plan on replacing in the near future:

-Oil pan gasket
-Oil drain plug washer
-Distributor o-ring gasket
-Water pump
-Timing belt
-Drive belt
-Tires

Is there anything else I should look into replacing? I had a certified mechanic check out the car and found out it's solid except for the leaky gaskets (25 year old plastic tends to do that) and an exhaust leak that he can help me mend when we do the timing belt job.

Thanks!

charliekuney
03-21-2012, 07:39 PM
...the only problem it has with it is burning oil from leaking gaskets dripping onto the manifold.

-Dizzy o-ring gasket

:o

accord88dx
03-22-2012, 10:06 AM
:|

charliekuney
03-22-2012, 02:23 PM
It's pretty common. My car does it, too. When I have my climate control on "fresh" I can smell oil burning when I drive, and when it's really hot or really cold outside smoke comes out of my hood. Be glad it isn't something much worse!

accord88dx
03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Ah, that's kinda what I thought... I'm going to still do the gaskets/belts/water pump just to rule out those problems.

car6289
03-22-2012, 04:50 PM
When you change your timing belt you might want to change the oil pump o-rings.
At your next oil filter removal replace the o-ring between the oil filter adapter and the block.

accord88dx
03-22-2012, 07:01 PM
At your next oil filter removal replace the o-ring between the oil filter adapter and the block.

Yup that will be included, when I looked at the o-ring it was solid plastic... are those standard sized or are they special for my model Accord?

car6289
03-23-2012, 09:15 AM
The oil filter base (adapter) to block o-ring is not standard. It is shaped like a miniature metal clothes hanger. Item 10 at this link. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1988&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=BREATHER+TUBE+-+OIL+FILTER