PDA

View Full Version : Your Preference Of Trim Protectant?

89HatchbackLxi
03-24-2012, 05:57 PM
After giving my car a quick wash today I realized how much of a difference putting protectant on the trim (and moldings) really boosts the car's overall appearance. I've seen protectants mentioned in a few other threads on here in the past, but I don't recall anyone mentioning they use STP's "Son Of A Gun" protectant. I had used armorall on my car the first time I applied protectant to the trim, but I quickly realized it wasn't doing anything to help my car's trim while it sits in the California sun (Armor All doesn't have UV protection). That stuff also seemed to wear off after only a week. If you don't already know, that stuff is worthless. Don't ever buy it.

Anyways, I've been using STP's Son of a Gun now on my trim for the past 6 months or so, and have found the stuff works really good on 3Geez trim. I love this stuff! It lasts for a pretty long time, (though it looks best during the first few weeks after its applied). It definitely boosts the color of the trim and helps restore the look of it. I can't stand the look of my car's trim without this stuff on it. If you haven't tried it and your trim looks a bit faded, I suggest giving it a shot, it makes the trim look like it did when the car was brand new. :)

Check out the difference:
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k554/Spartan_TK51/3geez/DSC05243.jpg?t=1332640339

Anybody else know of another brand that works good on their 3Geez trim?

A18A
03-24-2012, 06:08 PM
sweet, it looks good. i've seen people on here put a heat gun to their black trim with good results. i think i like what you've done better though

RAZR
03-24-2012, 06:11 PM
I use wolfgangs exterior trim sealent. It works really well

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-trim-sealant.html

89HatchbackLxi
03-24-2012, 06:25 PM
sweet, it looks good. i've seen people on here put a heat gun to their black trim with good results. i think i like what you've done better though

I've heard of people doing that... A guy in my refinishing class did that to his Tribute's bumper, and it looked pretty good afterwards, but I didn't see what the bumper looked like to start with. I've wanted to try the heat method, I'm just afraid I might accidentally burn part of it or something in the process.

I use wolfgangs exterior trim sealent. It works really well

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-trim-sealant.html

I don't think I've ever seen that stuff before... what store do you get it at? Or is it only available online?

RAZR
03-24-2012, 06:57 PM
I don't think I've ever seen that stuff before... what store do you get it at? Or is it only available online?

You can only get it at autogeek.net Thats where i buy all my car care products.

charliekuney
03-24-2012, 07:26 PM
I've wanted to try the heat method, I'm just afraid I might accidentally burn part of it or something in the process.

It's a heat gun, not a flamethrower...

89HatchbackLxi
03-25-2012, 08:52 AM
It's a heat gun, not a flamethrower...

True...

ghettogeddy
03-25-2012, 06:29 PM
i just hit it with satin black once a year or so lol

gp02a0083
03-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Mother's back to black is a good start, i've also used another product called black jack. If your re-spraying the trim i'd only go with SEM's Trim black #39143

Rendon LX-i
03-26-2012, 10:23 AM
There's a couple of black it trim products I have used an it's awesome bad thing is it attracts dirt really fast. But I used mothers black trim an turtle. Mothers is beast but turtles is ok which just came out.

DBMaster
03-26-2012, 11:15 AM
This is the ONLY stuff I will use on trim. I had the best results from painting my bumper strips with Krylon Fusion and using flexible trim/bumper paint on the side moldings, but this stuff is a decent stopgap measure. I found that using ANY protectant may have made the trim look better for a while, but it would end up looking even worse when the stuff wore off. Use this stuff and you can forget about it for a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Black-Bumper-Trim-Dye/dp/B000FOIJXQ