PDA

View Full Version : Best Muffler for this .....

SladeHonda
03-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Ok Ive searched and searched but have not gotten any satisfying answers. What would be the best muffler that would accomplish hi flow and performance gains yet doesn't sound like a fart can and is not super loud cause that's just as annoying. Also i don't want to spend to much so reasonable priced ones are what I'm looking for.

lostforawhile
03-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Ok Ive searched and searched but have not gotten any satisfying answers. What would be the best muffler that would accomplish hi flow and performance gains yet doesn't sound like a fart can and is not super loud cause that's just as annoying. Also i don't want to spend to much so reasonable priced ones are what I'm looking for.
porter, they look like glasspacks but have a great sound. they use a spiral type of louver, I built my own, but if I had to buy one thats what I would get, if you want a really quality muffler, you are going to have to pay some money.
www.portermufflers.com

turabaka
03-26-2012, 08:37 PM
I love the sound of my Magnaflow. Nice and deep and not very raspy sounding.

Tdurr
03-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Vibrant. (i kno.they sound good on turbo hondas)

But cats+resinators make a diff also in exhaust note.

lostforawhile
03-26-2012, 10:43 PM
these engines sound different then most other honda's of this era, so plan your muffler accordingly,everything is different, bore,stroke,block material, it all affects the sound, plus they are a larger displacement then the civic weedeater motors that were made at this time. if you want my opinion they sound like old brittish cars,

lostforawhile
03-26-2012, 10:47 PM
this is a pretty much stock system with no cat and a basic cherry bomb, this is also the factory carb, It will be interesting to see what the new system sounds like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgyhiisKun4&list=UU3bl5N7LOwzO2ihxhK1M--g&index=22&feature=plcp

SladeHonda
03-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the advice so far .... I guess i need to add that Im going from header back (pacesetter headers, either 2.5 or 2.25 pipe and hi flow cat. as well so now what would sound the best after going through that line up)

Im not sure if this is true but somewhere i think i read that you can use a glasspack like a resonator to help deepen and quiet down the system as well if you do it and still think its too loud??

SladeHonda
03-27-2012, 12:36 PM
O and when I say reasonable i dont mean 30 bucks Im willing to spend some money, just dont want to spend 300 bucks on one if yall get my drift

import racer
03-27-2012, 12:44 PM
A cherry bomb turbo sounds pretty good and not to loud.plus it doesn't cost a lot.

Tdurr
03-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Honestly imo apex n1 style mufflers sound great as longs as you have a resonator. They are loud but no rasp. Had the nopi brand one with a resonator i got of a chevy at school abd 2.25 pipe, best sounfing ns car me and my honda friends ever heard that wasnt fully built and that had no raps.

RAZR
03-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I love the sound of my Flowmaster 40 series muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1JunsG8rYs&feature=youtu.be

mykwikcoupe
03-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Honestly imo apex n1 style mufflers sound great as longs as you have a resonator. They are loud but no rasp. Had the nopi brand one with a resonator i got of a chevy at school abd 2.25 pipe, best sounfing ns car me and my honda friends ever heard that wasnt fully built and that had no raps.

I had one of these in my first coupe. at 3700 rpm the resonation of the muffler matched the natural tuned frequency of the car and the ENTIRE car would vibrate to the sound of the muffler. It was too loud for me, sounded a bit ricey but I also has mandrel 2.25 piping installed as well. I swapped to a magnaflow and loved the sound.

SladeHonda
03-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Yea i think the imo apex n1 is gonna be to loud for me I believe thats what a few people in my city have on there cars mostly Civics and it to loud. I like more of a low rumble and doesn't get all crackly sounding when a lil gas is applied. If it does have a little of that sound would getting a glasspack as a resonator solve that ??

import racer
03-27-2012, 07:14 PM
A resonator would quiet it down,I'm gonna put a magnaflow glass pack on mine to quit it down.It's on order so when i get it ,I can put it on.I'll let you know how it sounds.

Vanilla Sky
03-27-2012, 09:48 PM
I've always been a fan of the twin loop mufflers. You can get those for $70 or so.

SladeHonda
03-28-2012, 12:02 AM
A resonator would quiet it down,I'm gonna put a magnaflow glass pack on mine to quit it down.It's on order so when i get it ,I can put it on.I'll let you know how it sounds.

OK cool do that what kinda muffler u running .... n how does magnaflow sound better than cherry bomb Turbo?

2oodoor
03-28-2012, 04:14 AM
I've always been a fan of the twin loop mufflers. You can get those for $70 or so.

dual outlet style like on the Acuras and V6 Accords?

I need to so something different, mine has that "Briitish ragtop" sound as well sometimes. Im running a Chikara Header, 32 inch glass pack in place of the cat?resonator and then a stock generic 2.50 id muffler. ITS GETTING LOUDER and annoying.
I think the sheet metal in the muffler catchs that frequency and acts like a reed.

If you have a cordless sawsall you can get a nice flowmaster or what have you from the pull a part. Look in the donka section, not imports.

cygnus x-1
03-28-2012, 08:05 AM
A single muffler (with no cat) is likely going to be too loud for most people unless you use a really huge muffler. Keeping a cat or adding a glass pack (essentially is a resonator) will cut down the rasp and the drone. Also, one other thing I discovered about the droning inside the car, is that you MUST extend the tailpipe past the cutout in the bumper cover by a couple inches or so. If you don't, the sound gets reflected off the inside of the bumper cover back towards the rest of the car and makes the body vibrate. Tips that flare out will also make the tailpipe noise louder (just like a trumpet).

C|

Tdurr
03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/TheDarkDarkRacer/th_HPIM2345.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/TheDarkDarkRacer/?action=view&current=HPIM2345.mp4)

The camera made it sound A LOT rasiper then it was. This was before resonator. I had pacesetter header, high flow cat, crush bent 2.25id pipe to the 4inch tipped "the one" brand muffler(apex n1 style).

Point is a resonator will get rid of any unwanted "rasp". Get the longest resonator u want, and just pick a muffler u visually like.

SladeHonda
03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
O really well that's good news cause that raspy crackly sound is so annoying and I was nervous about the exhaust system I was going to put in but that's great news

Vanilla Sky
03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBa9tuLWgNY&feature=related

That's what I'm talking about. I really like the sound of them.

SladeHonda
03-28-2012, 02:13 PM
I think ima go with a magnaflow muffler they have the deepest nicest tone ive heard so far and maybe a cherry bomb glasspack as a resonator and a magnaflow hi-flow cat. I think that will sound great and give some performance boost as well. What you guys think?

Vanilla Sky
03-28-2012, 02:15 PM
The Magnaflow does sound really good on these cars. Their cat doesn't eat any HP, either.

Tdurr
03-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Uhhhh okay so the better the flow of the whole exhaust system the more "ricey" it sounds honestly. A solid exhaust system on a 4banger will have a bit of rasp. If u get 2inch exhaust then ut won't be as prevalent. Just think about it, all 4banger sound the same at high rpm just different pitches and tones. Just pick a muffler, get a 2.25 inch exhaust and a long&good resonator and ill be fine.

Also incar and out of car videos make exhaust notes sound different.

SladeHonda
03-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Uhhhh okay so the better the flow of the whole exhaust system the more "ricey" it sounds honestly. A solid exhaust system on a 4banger will have a bit of rasp. If u get 2inch exhaust then ut won't be as prevalent. Just think about it, all 4banger sound the same at high rpm just different pitches and tones. Just pick a muffler, get a 2.25 inch exhaust and a long&good resonator and ill be fine.

OK I didn't know that so you think the set up I sed earlier is gonna sound good its a few post back?

Tdurr
03-28-2012, 05:50 PM
I think ima go with a magnaflow muffler they have the deepest nicest tone ive heard so far and maybe a cherry bomb glasspack as a resonator and a magnaflow hi-flow cat. I think that will sound great and give some performance boost as well. What you guys think?

Should be good man. It's all preference really as far as individual components go.

SladeHonda
03-28-2012, 07:21 PM
How are the OBX headers by the way just found some for good price

lostforawhile
03-28-2012, 08:32 PM

these cars sound a lot different then most other hondas on the road, I think it's mainly the older engine design plus just a bigger displacement, they also don't need to rev as high as most hondas. These engines were actually designed in the late 70's they just didn't go into production until later,

Tdurr
03-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Ehh idk what you mean by "a lot". I can pick out most series motors based on my ear and the a series isn't much different, they just don't have as much rasp because of the block design and lover revs.

And with that being said, throw a can on any stock exhaust 4banger and it's gonna sound exactly the same from the outside. But I I'm being nitpicky here

RAZR
03-29-2012, 10:08 AM
How are the OBX headers by the way just found some for good price

Whats a good price? Where did u find them?
Im looking for obx headers for my car right now.

SladeHonda
03-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Whats a good price? Where did u find them?
Im looking for obx headers for my car right now.

I found them on eBay for 175 n 25 shipping the pacesetters I was looking at was 222 before shipping and taxes

RAZR
03-29-2012, 12:42 PM
I found them on eBay for 175 n 25 shipping the pacesetters I was looking at was 222 before shipping and taxes

OK yeah Ive seen those on there In the next couple weeks Im going to buy one.

SladeHonda
03-29-2012, 01:36 PM
OK yeah Ive seen those on there In the next couple weeks Im going to buy one.

cool , I am too but i keep hearing people say they drag the ground are they that low ???

RAZR
03-29-2012, 01:51 PM
cool , I am too but i keep hearing people say they drag the ground are they that low ???

They do hang lower than any other header but if you at stock height i dont think it will drag. But i guess i will see soon. Even if it does drag just weld a skid plate to the bottom and it should be protected.

SladeHonda
03-29-2012, 02:11 PM
They do hang lower than any other header but if you at stock height i dont think it will drag. But i guess i will see soon. Even if it does drag just weld a skid plate to the bottom and it should be protected.

Since these pipes slide into each other I wonder if its possible to cut them shorter so there not so low

mykwikcoupe
03-29-2012, 03:07 PM
OBX to me has always built cheaper less quality parts that are substandard. Dave had nothing but problems with his and he needed to modify it straight from the box. If you are buying a new parts built for your use it should work right away and not complicate things more. To buy a new part and have to shorten the downtubes right from the box is a hassle I would chose not to impose. Just get the pacesetter and be happy with the best cheap lowend part that works. The better parts are DC. Expensive and hard to find but worth the expense.

Vanilla Sky
03-29-2012, 04:13 PM
I don't see modifying a header as a big deal. I'm used to working on V8s, and you almost always have to modify them, even good ones, to make them fit right. A pair of V8 headers cost about $250 or so. For a single header for one of our motors that uses less materials and takes less time to assemble, even the $200 OBX is expensive. I can deal with having to cut and weld them. Other than out-of-the-box fitment, the OBX is the best bang for the buck.

SladeHonda
03-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Another question I had was does a dual muffler sound any different or is it quieter, louder what, compared to a single outlet muffler. I like the appearance of the dual better but would settle for a single outlet if it has a negative effect on power. I don't mean dual exhaust I'm talking about 1 muffler that has 2 tailpipes

Vanilla Sky
03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
It's mostly an appearance thing.

gfrg88
03-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Ryan has by far the best sounding exhaust system I've heard on a honda. S&S header to cherry bomb, and turn down right after... but he's also fully built with webers :)

lostforawhile
03-30-2012, 07:28 PM
OBX to me has always built cheaper less quality parts that are substandard. Dave had nothing but problems with his and he needed to modify it straight from the box. If you are buying a new parts built for your use it should work right away and not complicate things more. To buy a new part and have to shorten the downtubes right from the box is a hassle I would chose not to impose. Just get the pacesetter and be happy with the best cheap lowend part that works. The better parts are DC. Expensive and hard to find but worth the expense.there is nothing really wrong with the design of the obx, it looks like bad workmanship is the main issue, it's a copy of the S&S, considering it's stainless steel, it might be worth the effort to repair it, it's easier to modify a header, then to build one from scratch. The issue with clearance isn't a defect, it's the fact that you have four pipes running under the car instead of one. There is only so much room under there, I got mine as close to the bottom of the car as possible, and they are still low. there is no way to modify the bend, it has to be like that. I'm going to coat mine, I have an entire thread up on what I had to go through to get my header in, they are S&S but the obx will be identical. Hopefully the thread will help someone out.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74744

Ryan has by far the best sounding exhaust system I've heard on a honda. S&S header to cherry bomb, and turn down right after... but he's also fully built with webers :)aughhhhhh!!! I want to get mine running now, I did the exact same thing, but I built the stainless steel packed muffler and ran the outlet of it to the side pipe outlet. I put the muffler in the same place,where the converter used to be, with the dual carbs, the cam, ignition etc, it's going to sound kick ass

lostforawhile
03-30-2012, 07:43 PM
the reason you can't shorten the pipe on the full tube headers, is the top two pipes just clear everything under the car, important stuff like the oil pan, if you tried to shorten the tubes, the pipes would hit everything under the car.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/aug262009download326.jpg

SladeHonda
03-30-2012, 08:00 PM
So all these people who go so overboard about how low they are are really just over exaggerating, i don't plan on lowering the car like that so they would be fine i was just a little weary about them cause so many said bad things about them. Can you lower your car at all with them on there?

lostforawhile
03-30-2012, 09:43 PM
So all these people who go so overboard about how low they are are really just over exaggerating, i don't plan on lowering the car like that so they would be fine i was just a little weary about them cause so many said bad things about them. Can you lower your car at all with them on there?

i'm lowering my car three inches, I'll just add a skid plate, there is simply no way for the upper two pipes to go any higher, they just clear the oil pan, the bottom two pipes are stacked under those. There are quality issues with the OBX, the first member to get one on here had posted pictures, one of the ports was hogged out way oversize and didn't match the other ports, along with other issues, I guess it would be easier to fix those then to make a stainless header from scratch. There was someone here who laser cut flanges, cut off the badly made flange and weld on a better one would be one solution. If you don't want the OBX just look for another S&S like I've got, they are still a few around.

Vanilla Sky
03-30-2012, 11:34 PM
I'm with Tim, use a skid plate. I bottom out a stock 3gee from time to time when I drive them offroad, so I should invest in some skid plates anyway.

lostforawhile
03-31-2012, 08:53 AM
dual outlet style like on the Acuras and V6 Accords?

I need to so something different, mine has that "Briitish ragtop" sound as well sometimes. Im running a Chikara Header, 32 inch glass pack in place of the cat?resonator and then a stock generic 2.50 id muffler. ITS GETTING LOUDER and annoying.
I think the sheet metal in the muffler catchs that frequency and acts like a reed.

If you have a cordless sawsall you can get a nice flowmaster or what have you from the pull a part. Look in the donka section, not imports.what happens is the fiberglass inside of the muffler burns up and then it gets louder and louder, when I made this mufffler I used the stainless steel wool for muffler packing, it's good to over 1300 degrees and won't burn up or rust out, I know porter makes one like this as well as borla, you might be able to cut open your muffler and repack it, but it's easier to start from scratch,you are right about the metal reflecting the sound, the glass is supposed to absorb that but once it's gone, it just resonates, I wish I had taken pictures of my last glasspack I cut apart, there was nothing left of the packing

lostforawhile
03-31-2012, 09:01 AM
this is why the pipes cant go up any more, this is just below the split in the pipe between upper and lower sections. http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4022017.jpg

cygnus x-1
03-31-2012, 10:49 AM
this is why the pipes cant go up any more, this is just below the split in the pipe between upper and lower sections. http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd158/lostforawhile/S4022017.jpg

The other day I had an idea for converting an S&S/OBX 4-1 header into a 4-2-1 header. You take off the bottom section and use two Y collectors to join the two left pipes and the two right pipes. Then add a bend after each Y to go around the oil pan. Then run two straight pipes back to another Y right about where the original 4-1 collector was. And finally connect up to the exhaust system.

The only issue with doing it this way is that the cylinder pairing is sequential (1/2, 3/4) instead of the more conventional non-sequential (1/4, 2/3). Some people claim that sequential pairing can actually give you a broader power band, but there is a lot of conflicting information about sequential vs non-sequential pairing. I'm still trying to sort it out.

C|

guaynabo89
03-31-2012, 05:15 PM
2.5 is too large a diameter

Question for you, are you willing to deal with drone from your exhaust?

Fixedit
05-12-2015, 01:41 PM
So earlier in this thread some people went with a magnaflow muffler; which one? I'm looking at the 10444 (chose 2" because the 2.25"s core is still 2"). I cut the flanges off my cat and put them on a long magnaflow glasspack, in place of the cat and resonator. Then deleted the stock muffler, which doesn't sound bad but makes a lot of resonance for long highway drives. I was thinking of the 10444 'cause I can get it cheap and I don't want so much res., and also I only get the sound I like on medium acceleration. I'd rather have something that sounds good all the time

Fixedit
09-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know what magnaflow muffler was being referenced to earlier in this thread?