PDA

View Full Version : 86 lx head scratcher

dummass
03-27-2012, 06:34 AM
My car stalls quite frequently(every 10 minutes once warm). It'll start to sputter then eventually stall. If I turn the key off and back on before it stalls then it will run just fine for 10 more minutes. Its driving me nuts. So far i've changed the coil, distributor, wires, plugs, main relay(twice), both fuel filters, and finally I just did a weber swap. the car runs and idles great in between stalling. all parts came from my donor accord which was running fine(bad tranny). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Dr_Snooz
03-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Haven't hear that one before. I'll be surprised if anyone here knows the answer. A bad ignition switch leaps to mind, but I honestly can't give you any good reason why. Try to figure out if you are losing fuel or spark when this happens. If it's a nice clean cutoff, like turning off the ignition switch, that would tend to indicate spark. If it's a protracted, chugging and sputtering cutoff, that would tend to imply fuel. You might want try rigging up some kind of test light to show in the cabin when the spark plugs fire. If they stop firing and you die, then you can narrow down your troubleshooting to ignition components. If it were my car, I'd test as many of the little carb dash pots, solenoids and actuators as I could using the manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php) as a guide. (I would rebuild the carb and test the components at the same time, but that's just me). Keep us posted on what you learn.

dummass
04-01-2012, 07:05 AM
I changed the last item(fuel pump) left to change and it solved the problem(so far). While I had the fuel pump out I siphoned out all the sediment in the little well where the pickup sits. There was also a white plastic washer sitting in there so I fished that out as well. I think it must've been sucking up sediment and the little washer and eventually plug up, then when I shut off the car the pump would drop all that stuff and I would be good for another short while till it plugged up again. just guessing. now the alternator stopped working so I replaced it, and the replacement is now not working. It never ends

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2012, 11:58 AM
It will end, just keep at it and learn from each experience. Nice sleuthing on the fuel pump, BTW.