PDA

View Full Version : Lock Cylinder replacement for LH door please help

pablo3264
03-27-2012, 01:41 PM
My cars lock was busted awhile back but couldnt find a replacement that fits and I know 3rd gen accord parts are similar to 2g ludes, found some lock cylinder (where key would go in) on ebay for 3rd gen accords but doesnt say it'll fit my prelude.

Would it fit? If not can anyone help me out in finding one i spent loads of time trying to find one..

hondalude86
03-27-2012, 04:43 PM
no are you talking about the door handle or the one in the steering column, which is the ignition lock cylinder?

if its the door lock then yes the cylinder is the same. you would need the key for it to work, but you could also gut your cylinder (keeping in mind what order the pins go in) and gut the 3rd gen one, and then put the pins for your current key in order in the 3rd gen cylinder, and viola new cylinder, old pins, same key. However if the pins are broken (ie the guts) then you'd have to use the old key, unless by some miracle the cylinder had the correct pins in a different order. When you take this thing apart the cylinder pins are numbers. maybe the combo is 4,4,7,9,2,4 then you'd essentially need those same pins in that same order. If by change the cylinder is good, but only the first pin is busted, then you could just remove the damaged pin and have a working cylinder with one less pin. Which only means that the chances of someone else have the correct key increases. so you might just have *,4,7,9,2,4.

pablo3264
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
no are you talking about the door handle or the one in the steering column, which is the ignition lock cylinder?

if its the door lock then yes the cylinder is the same. you would need the key for it to work, but you could also gut your cylinder (keeping in mind what order the pins go in) and gut the 3rd gen one, and then put the pins for your current key in order in the 3rd gen cylinder, and viola new cylinder, old pins, same key. However if the pins are broken (ie the guts) then you'd have to use the old key, unless by some miracle the cylinder had the correct pins in a different order. When you take this thing apart the cylinder pins are numbers. maybe the combo is 4,4,7,9,2,4 then you'd essentially need those same pins in that same order. If by change the cylinder is good, but only the first pin is busted, then you could just remove the damaged pin and have a working cylinder with one less pin. Which only means that the chances of someone else have the correct key increases. so you might just have *,4,7,9,2,4.

Sorry i meant the door lock for the Left hand side (drive Side) the lock was broken and the cylinder for the key in the door was all busted up i still have it but internals is broken, where would i find just the door lock cylinder for the driver side door, would a 3rd gen accord one work? I dont mind having 2 keys 1 for the new lock, As long as it locks! :P

hondalude86
03-31-2012, 05:40 AM
I believe if you reread my post you will see the answer you desire

lostforawhile
03-31-2012, 07:17 AM
just go to the yard,find a third gen door handle, take it and your broke one to a locksmith and have him rekey the cylinder for your lude, any decent locksmith can do this in a few minutes,

pablo3264
04-01-2012, 10:11 PM
I believe if you reread my post you will see the answer you desire

Lol sorry i get what u meant now that i re read what u posted, sorry was hella tired wen i probably read this, so i might as well buy a new cylinder since its pretty busted but it seems that the cylinder was somehow attached to the door not by glue but something else.

I appreciate your help!

pablo3264
04-01-2012, 10:12 PM
My uncle owns a locksmith company so ill most likely get in contact with him and see if theres somethin he can do thank!

Vanilla Sky
04-02-2012, 08:27 AM
I've rekeyed cylinders myself, it's not incredibly hard. The issue with used ones is that they are mostly worn out, especially the ones on the driver's side. I can't remember if the ones on the passenger door are the same or if they are mirrored.

Either way, buy new ones if at all possible. Our cars are easy enough to open with the wrong key that we shouldn't be making it any easier by installing worn lock cylinders.