PDA

View Full Version : another noob

FresnoCA5
03-28-2012, 08:49 AM
just joined as my girl and i just got her an '86 Accord LXi. it needs a lot of TLC, so we'll be all over the classified section. LOL.

anyway.. that's about it really. if anyone reading this has interior or exterior parts, please let me know asap! haha.

oh.. and maybe a radiator fan switch. turning on the fan with a toggle switch is just too ghetto for us. no race car.

pickupman6
03-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Welcome from Alabama! Post som pics when you get 5 posts.

Pico
03-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Welcome

bryan6732
03-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Welcome from The Netherlands!

FresnoCA5
03-29-2012, 07:57 PM
thanks, guys. i appreciate it. i will post pics as soon as i can. it's not much to look at, though. we paid $1000 for it.. so, you can imagine. haha. still, we really like it. it's gonna serve it's purpose well and we're totally prepared to put more money into it than it will ever be worth. than again, what project ISN'T like that?

pickupman6
03-29-2012, 08:15 PM
I gave 1000 for my sedan, other than the clearcoat peeling it was mint. Sorry for rubbing that in. I know what you mean by expensive projects, back when I had a real job and was single I used to spend 80 percent of my check on cars, bikes and quads. Heck I put over 2000 into a minibike. Was only able to sell it for 800. I wished I woulda cared about my accord back then. 2000 would go a long way on this thing.

ghettogeddy
03-29-2012, 08:57 PM
another cali member

obdriver6
03-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Welcome from Las Vegas! Remember that the junk yard is your friend if you are looking for parts!

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Welcome from ....Fresno!! Pick-A-Part is your best friend. There is also Pick-N-Pull, but I'm trying to stop giving money to corporations. I spent many a Saturday morning at Pick-A-Part there when I was restoring mine. If you are persistent and patient, you will probably find everything you need there. Can't wait to see pics of your ride.

ecogabriel
04-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Welcome from ATL!

Junkyard is a good place for parts if you get to know and test what you are getting. But if you need a radiator fan switch, get one online; rockauto.com has some in closeout. Make sure you test first that it is the switch what is defective (it is at the bottom of radiator) and if so I'd get it new (actually, I replaced mine just in case and kept the old working ones as spares). On the other hand, I got working EGR valves, vacuum solenoids, and a pristine radiator from the junkyard. Just take a look to what you might need, and then go looking for it.

EFI cars use two radiator fan switches. The second switch is located in the thermostat housing and works at higher temperature (over 100 degrees C); it turns on the fan (I believe the smaller one) when coolant temperature gets too high after shutting off the engine. The one at the radiator bottom operates (I believe) in the 90 degree celsius range.

Those cars are honest cars; if you take care of them I believe they would run almost forever.