PDA

View Full Version : I need advice

Bignich91
03-29-2012, 06:51 AM
I recently bought an 89 accord. It started knocking. My friend replaced a rod bearing for me but it started knocking again...my friend told me that the only way to fix it is to do an engine swap. There has to be some way to fix it! Can someone please help me out?

Pico
03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
I recently bought an 89 accord. It started knocking. My friend replaced a rod bearing for me but it started knocking again...my friend told me that the only way to fix it is to do an engine swap. There has to be some way to fix it! Can someone please help me out?
if it's a rod knock, your only option is to rebuild the engine or replace it..not much else you can do.

Bignich91
03-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Is it more efficient to rebuild or replace?

Vanilla Sky
03-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Sounds like you might have a bad main or you had a rod that didn't get torqued down enough after the rod bearing replacement. You can fix this with the engine in the car, as long as nothing is scored up. If you have scoring on the block or crank, you're better off replacing the short block. Engines for these cars are a $100 junkyard purchase, so I think I'd go down that road. A running parts car is a great way to get an engine, and you can often make money by parting one out.