PDA

View Full Version : new guy

88SD3G
03-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Hello 3 Geez,

I have an 88 LXi coupe all original with 220k. Anytime I am going to do some work on it I always check as much of the threads as possible for info and direction. I even end up fixing things that I was not even looking to but that
needed attention anyway. Thanks for posting all the knowledge it really helps
us guys trying to keep our 3Gs alive. Im stoked to be a part of it now. I look fwd to posting pics soon! :cheers:

Fedor B.
03-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Welcome from Holland.
Looking forward to the pics!

obdriver6
03-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Welcome! Also looking forward to pics.

88SD3G
03-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi again,
Thanks for the welcome. I cleaned out my idle screw today it was pretty dirty
w/black gunk stuff. I should replace it but for now a good cleaning should do.
I dig turning the wrenches but its kind of sucks when there is no garage at the
house. I am currently loosing some rpms when I turn the wheel..... seems like
it could be the ps sensor.... am I on the right path....?
Thnaks.

obdriver6
03-29-2012, 11:30 PM
I think thats normal cause my car does that too, how much does it drop? I'm not sure but I think that the 88 didn't have a PS sensor, I think it was only the 89 that did.

charliekuney
03-29-2012, 11:49 PM
^ x2. Pretty much anything I do in my car (hit the brakes, turn the wheel, use the power windows or antenna, etc.) makes the idle drop a little.

88SD3G
03-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Hello,
Awsome! Thanks for the input! RPMS drop a bit, say 100 to 150 they pic right up again when i stop moving the wheel. My LXi also drops the rpms when I do all those things you mention Charlie and the brake pedal too when i am on stop n go traffic. I read that could be the booster check valve. I am thinking of replacing that one just to see the results on the brake rpm loss. I will let you know how that works out. Obdriver6 cool story with u and dad. Fedor nice ADecks!!! TKs Charlie. Looking fwd to posting pics.

obdriver6
04-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks and there are different way to check that valve. 1) Try to blow air through each side. If you can blow air through both sides, its no good. 2) After you turned the car off, you should have about 2-3 brake assist left.

88SD3G
04-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Hello Amigos!
So here an update... on the good side, replaced the valve and had success. I did check that OB6 and it was working but not sure how much back pressure it was holding with the new one the rpms barely drop actually they pic upjust a bit at first and then they settle... nice! Also I replaced the timing belt n tensioner, h20 pump, crankshaft seal, r&r the oil pump, oil pan gasket, valve adjmnt, new idle screw as well! the bad.... upon removal of the oil pan the evidence of bearing destruction was emminent..... no wonder the engine was getting a bit noisey. gotta go to work but ill hit u all up ltr!
tks:sadwave:

obdriver6
04-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Thats what happens when you have a 200k+ engine. Mine gets noisy only when I start it.

88SD3G
04-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Hi Obdriver6,
Yea mine is noisey at idle but once rpms go up it quiets down.
So how much damage is the engine kind of taking with the shot bearings.
and is it possible at all to replace them with the motor in the car?????
might be a long shot but just asking..... still runs good... pics soon....
Thanks for responding OB6!!

88SD3G
04-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Also Im wondering how long is the cooling fan supposed to run for after the engine is turned off.
Mine seems to be runnig for a while the engine is turned off

charliekuney
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
I don't know if it's timed or goes off by a sensor, but LX-i's and SE-i's all have those fans. My current car's doesn't work, but all of my older cars could be on from anywhere from two to fifteen minutes...

89HatchbackLxi
04-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Also Im wondering how long is the cooling fan supposed to run for after the engine is turned off.
Mine seems to be runnig for a while the engine is turned off

I believe it is supposed to run for up to 15 mins.

88SD3G
04-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Thanks Charlie n 89 lxi,
mine pretty much runs around 10-15. I was wondering cause It kind of seem
a bit long. I guess im good for pics now with 7 posts so... ill do that tmorrow.
see ya soon.

89HatchbackLxi
04-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks Charlie n 89 lxi,
mine pretty much runs around 10-15. I was wondering cause It kind of seem
a bit long. I guess im good for pics now with 7 posts so... ill do that tmorrow.
see ya soon.

Well, as long as your car isn't overheating or anything I wouldn't worry too much about it. My car does that sometimes during the summer. One time I was at my friends house and when one of my other buddies arrived he told me my car sounded like it was running outside. Turned out it was just the fan that had kicked in, which made it sound like the car was still running lol. But, my battery survived the summer, so the fan can't be too excessive of a power drain. :)

btw, looking forward to seeing pics.

obdriver6
04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Hi Obdriver6,
Yea mine is noisey at idle but once rpms go up it quiets down.
So how much damage is the engine kind of taking with the shot bearings.
and is it possible at all to replace them with the motor in the car?????
might be a long shot but just asking..... still runs good... pics soon....
Thanks for responding OB6!!

If it was a bearing, I would imagine it would get louder as the RPM go up. It might be something else.

88SD3G
04-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Hi dudes,
thanks for all the responses. I am not to sharp with pc so
how do I post pics?.... got an avatar of my car but cant figure out
the pics.
Thanks

89HatchbackLxi
04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Hi dudes,
thanks for all the responses. I am not to sharp with pc so
how do I post pics?.... got an avatar of my car but cant figure out
the pics.
Thanks

You can use a site like photobucket.com or imageshack to upload photos (I prefer photobucket), then post the IMG code of the uploaded picture into your post to display the image in the post,

88SD3G
04-12-2012, 11:46 AM
k, Lets try this....
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/img4588r.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/img4590q.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/857/img4591s.jpg/

89HatchbackLxi
04-12-2012, 01:07 PM
k, Lets try this....
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/img4588r.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/img4590q.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/857/img4591s.jpg/

Nice. Pretty clean looking engine bay you got there.

88SD3G
04-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks,
I have been working on that for a while it used to be really dirty
you can imagine with 221k. I passed smog today with no problems
nice low #,s too!
Gotta go see u guys soon.

MessyHonda
04-13-2012, 08:51 AM
wow clean coupe. Welcome from NorCal

88SD3G
04-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Right on!
I have been working on the engine and the bay as well. Its pretty much
stock I have a lot of new parts but I try to keep it all Honda. Sometimes I
wanna throw some after market stuff but I struggle with that. It needs paint
and minor work on the interior just things like small rips on door pannels and rear pannels but other than that its clean. The seats are good w/no rips just some fading. There is some rust begining to show in some spots especially around the trunk gutter but its all salvagable at this point. Thanks for the compliments... ur ride looks great too! I would not mind one, since I have a little one the coupe is tight but belive me its not going anywhere. I am always looking... its kind of difficult to run into a 5 speed like yours.
Talk to ya soon!:)

obdriver6
04-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Nice looking coupe! Next time if you wan to upload them to the forum directly, click where it says "embed this image", next to "forum" copy and paste that link.

Dr_Snooz
04-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Welcome from Fresno!

SladeHonda
04-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Welcome from the NC

hondalude86
04-16-2012, 06:06 PM
messy, that house in those pictures kinda reminds me of your moms house... weird.

88SD3G
04-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Nice,
yes the house was built in the late 50's for the aerospace employees after the war. the vines in front keep the kids form jumping the 4ft fence to access
the alleyway and gives us a nice screen from the ped traffic. I went to the
wrecker today and picked up some door molding exterior and interior and some
turn signals mine were kind of faded also the plastic covers on the head lights mine were in one pice with some nicks as expected but i wanted some newer ones. I was looking for the
cover for my rearview miror it broke some time ago. Its the one with the
seat belt warining lights on it.... they were all picked out. If anyone out there
finds one or has a spare let me know. Also iffn anyone wants those signal
markers and covers let me know and ill send the to ya... Hey Dr Snooz nice
coupe... may I ask where u got those driving light on the lower bumper
been trying to find some but no luck with the fit.
Thanks to all!:bow:

88SD3G
04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
]

88SD3G
04-20-2012, 04:53 PM
The only easy day was yesterday

charliekuney
04-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Those wheels look great on a coupe!

ShyBoyCA6
04-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Strange that alot of new people are mostly in cali area hahah...Welcome from Los Angeles