PDA

View Full Version : Alternator wiring issues

Austin's 86 LX
03-29-2012, 04:11 PM
My alternator went out Monday morning and I traded it in at a local j/y when I got my new one. Stupid me didn't think to check and make sure they were the same :(
My "old" alternator had been put in by the previous owners back in '09 and judging by this picture (http://www.3geez.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4517) the wiring harness and alternator put in were meant for an FI car o_O
So I went back and grabbed the plug from the 3-pin carb alternator at the yard and I'm planning on soldering it on in place of the 4-pin one (I don't have enough faith in myself to replace the wiring harness) and I was wondering if the wire for the ECU can just be snipped and left alone since I don't have an ECU.
The sooner I can get this fixed, the better. I've had to spend my spring break without a car :(

tl;dr can I use a carb alternator in a carb'd car with an FI alternator wiring harness, replacing the plug and ignoring the ECU wire?

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Bump.

Austin's 86 LX
04-01-2012, 03:03 PM
I got it taken care of. I was thinking of the red and white ECU wire as going TO the alternator when really it is coming FROM the alternator. I spliced on the 3pin connector and it's working fine :)