PDA

View Full Version : Wtf! Still leaking oil

l0l
03-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Ok I feel like I am at WAR with this dam oil leak. It is the same leak that has been going on since I bought this car. It's dripping from the lower timing belt cover and runs down the side of the oil pan gasket which meets up with the t-belt cover. After a 3 hour battle with the oil pan last night I was HOPING that would fix it but no, of course not.

here is the list of seals that I have changed in order:

valve cover gasket and grommets
cam seal
crank seal
oil pump seals
water pump seal
oil pan gasket (what a pain the the ass)

A part of me wants to say it's the dam crank seal but that has been changed along with everything else from that side of the motor. As stated before, the leak drips DIRECTLY from the bottom little nipple looking deal on the lower t-belt cover and tends to run along that side of the oil pan.

Thanks for any help guys.

Bluntman
03-30-2012, 08:22 AM
If you are really stumped clean up the areas with Brakleen and try to see if you can trace it or do a oil dye test with a black light. I believe parts stores sell a dye kit. Here is a example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMEMYx9kkBo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w8N-mpCYOg&feature=related

AccordB20A
03-30-2012, 03:38 PM
the crank seal can still leak if not installed correctly which is so easy to fuck up.

Bluntman
03-30-2012, 03:50 PM
the crank seal can still leak if not installed correctly which is so easy to fuck up.

I was thinking the same thing.

SladeHonda
03-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Im having killer problems from mine too express lube changed my oil yesterday and told me that my rear main seal was leaking also so ima try that one next Ive changed like 7 already or something like that. Its so annoying and frustrating.

ecogabriel
03-30-2012, 04:16 PM
NAPA sells the dye kits (and other stores as well); that would be the fastest way to catch where the oil leak comes from.

ecogabriel
03-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Im having killer problems from mine too express lube changed my oil yesterday and told me that my rear main seal was leaking also so ima try that one next Ive changed like 7 already or something like that. Its so annoying and frustrating.

pressure wash the engine and then see where the leak comes from. I chased all my oil leaks that way. My rear seal was badly damaged (it had a tear)... no more leaks now!
Rear seal is difficult to install because it is freaking large, but if you are really patient and careful it may be installed slowly without special tools.

l0l
03-30-2012, 04:20 PM
I first payed a "mechanic" to do to my t-belt and seals (for cheap) and he totally fucked up my timing so I ended up having to re-do the entire belt by myself (runs and sounds great now). I am now thinking he some how messed up my crank seal! I figured well, ok it's probably the oil pan gasket. I went ahead and did that last night (still same original leak). Now, I'm leaning more towards the shade tree mechanic that originally did the work.

So now I will be doing it all over, again. I am so pissed, if I even call the dude that originally did the work it's not going to be pretty. I will just have to suck it up I guess....tough lesson learned.

SladeHonda
03-30-2012, 04:51 PM
pressure wash the engine and then see where the leak comes from. I chased all my oil leaks that way. My rear seal was badly damaged (it had a tear)... no more leaks now!
Rear seal is difficult to install because it is freaking large, but if you are really patient and careful it may be installed slowly without special tools.

I might have a friend install that one then cause im not super good on that type of engine work and ive never changed that seal before. I bought the full gasket kit already and yea i seen how big it is along with the other stuff with it not sure if i can do that one myself, without a tutorial

SladeHonda
03-30-2012, 04:56 PM
I was thinking, im finding oil on the front right side of the engine at the bottom near the belts what could that be? When I look from underneath the car thats where its dripping right underneath those belts

l0l
03-30-2012, 05:06 PM
I was thinking, im finding oil on the front right side of the engine at the bottom near the belts what could that be? When I look from underneath the car thats where its dripping right underneath those belts

Probably same shit I am dealing with. Could be Crank,Cam,Oil Pump...or even oil pan gasket. It's hard to really tell unless you get the T-Belt covers off.

Bluntman
03-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Probably same shit I am dealing with. Could be Crank,Cam,Oil Pump...or even oil pan gasket. It's hard to really tell unless you get the T-Belt covers off.

A leak will travel the path of least resistance. Leaks can fool you. The best way is to clean it all up and trace it or use the dye also.

l0l
04-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I am going to go ahead and get a oem crank seal from Honda. I have a feeling it's the crank seal again. I used a seal from ebay, plus that the jackass that I paid to do it originally probably didn't do it rite. Just going to bite the bullet and pull the t-belt off AGAIN and do it myself.

What do you guys recommend to get the crank sprocket off? That thing was a bitch to get off the first time. It took two of us the and it sucked balls. I have heard there is a 3 prong gear puller, does that work good?

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2012, 11:22 AM
I always assume that oil travels straight down from where it is leaking. I change the seal directly above where I see wet oil and work my way down from there. I change one seal and wait a few weeks. If the oil turns dirty and loses luster, I know the leak is gone. If it stays wet looking, I keep working my way down. That seems to work well enough for me.

The only special tool I use for installing new seals is the old seal. Place it directly over the new seal and slowly walk it in with a dead-blow hammer. Always lube your new seals with oil or white grease before installing or you WILL be doing it again very shortly.

I have also been having a lot of trouble with leaks since my rebuild. I suspect that the seals we are buying "new" are actually "new old stock" that have been sitting around on shelves since 1986. In that time, they have turned brittle and hard. They aren't much better than the seals that are already leaking. If you can't get a genuinely new seal, it will be really hard to get rid of all your leaks but I don't know where to get good seals anymore.