PDA

View Full Version : Ok what the hell!!!

91lowrider
03-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Ok so i put my carb back on the car and replaced almost every hose that touches it. It fixed my flooding problem but the car still had no power. I got up the next morning and adjusted the valves and cleaned the plugs off (they were black except for number three which had oil all over it). It ran great for about a mile until it seemed like it warmed up then went back to running crappy. I brought it home and let it sit running until the fuel light came on and then it died.

I went out to work on it today, put three gallons of gas in and now the damn thing wont stay running. I have to keep my foot on the gas for it to stay running. If you try putting it into gear it dies.

It would idle GREAT the other day but now after running it low on gas its doing this. Does anyone have any ideas? If i cant get this car running right soon my wife said we have to sell it.

91lowrider
03-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Bump

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Change your fuel filter(s).

91lowrider
04-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Change your fuel filter(s).

Both filters are brand new

lostforawhile
04-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Ok so i put my carb back on the car and replaced almost every hose that touches it. It fixed my flooding problem but the car still had no power. I got up the next morning and adjusted the valves and cleaned the plugs off (they were black except for number three which had oil all over it). It ran great for about a mile until it seemed like it warmed up then went back to running crappy. I brought it home and let it sit running until the fuel light came on and then it died.

I went out to work on it today, put three gallons of gas in and now the damn thing wont stay running. I have to keep my foot on the gas for it to stay running. If you try putting it into gear it dies.

It would idle GREAT the other day but now after running it low on gas its doing this. Does anyone have any ideas? If i cant get this car running right soon my wife said we have to sell it.pull the pump loose and check to see if the crud in the bottom of the tank clogged the sock on the pump pickup, if you run really low on gas all that junk tries to go through the pump,it's also possible it clogged up a brand new filter if it all went into the filter, check pump output

91lowrider
04-04-2012, 05:24 PM
pull the pump loose and check to see if the crud in the bottom of the tank clogged the sock on the pump pickup, if you run really low on gas all that junk tries to go through the pump,it's also possible it clogged up a brand new filter if it all went into the filter, check pump output

My fuel pump is mounted on the outside
Of the tank. How would this work out for checking the sock?

turabaka
04-04-2012, 08:08 PM
the sock is attached to the bottom of the pickup in the tank.

91lowrider
04-05-2012, 05:06 AM
So do i have to drop the tank to get in there to get to the sock or is it under the rear seat?

91lowrider
04-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Well i just installed a inline fuel pressure gauge to see what kind of psi i am getting. With key on and while running i am getting between 1.5 and just right under 2. In the manual it calls for between 2.4 and 3.4. But i dont know if the lines are clogged or if its the pump. I do have new filters in

Dr_Snooz
04-07-2012, 10:01 AM
I do have new filters in

Are they new since you ran it out of gas?

91lowrider
04-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Are they new since you ran it out of gas?

No but they only have maybe 20 miles on them. My fuel pessure is below 2psi. I drained the take and still had 2 gallons in it even though the light came on.

lostforawhile
04-09-2012, 06:34 PM
No but they only have maybe 20 miles on them. My fuel pessure is below 2psi. I drained the take and still had 2 gallons in it even though the light came on.the light is supposed to come on when you have two gallons, thats so you know to get gas before you run out, if you ran it dry, you might have run all the tank crud through your new filters

Dr_Snooz
04-10-2012, 05:05 PM
No but they only have maybe 20 miles on them. My fuel pessure is below 2psi. I drained the take and still had 2 gallons in it even though the light came on.

Change the fuel filter(s).

91lowrider
04-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Change the fuel filter(s).

I can blow through the filters easly. Wouldnt it be the pump since the psi is low. The book calls for 2.4-3.4. I have a inline underhood fuel pressure gauge for easy checking

lostforawhile
04-10-2012, 09:29 PM
I can blow through the filters easly. Wouldnt it be the pump since the psi is low. The book calls for 2.4-3.4. I have a inline underhood fuel pressure gauge for easy checking

what kind of inline fuel pressure gauge? most of those can easily be off a pound or 2

91lowrider
04-11-2012, 03:25 AM
what kind of inline fuel pressure gauge? most of those can easily be off a pound or 2

Its a $18 spectre from autozone. I dont know of any other way to check the pressure on my car. But it seems about right since the car wont stay running even when holding the gas. I have to keep pumping it. And it cant be that the cat is clogged because i have it unbolted and still doing the same.

lostforawhile
04-11-2012, 06:00 AM
Its a $18 spectre from autozone. I dont know of any other way to check the pressure on my car. But it seems about right since the car wont stay running even when holding the gas. I have to keep pumping it. And it cant be that the cat is clogged because i have it unbolted and still doing the same.spectre is junk, go to the parts store and find an actron vaccume/fuel pressure gauge and t it in, if there is fuel in the bowls and it wont idle its other issues

91lowrider
04-11-2012, 01:52 PM
spectre is junk, go to the parts store and find an actron vaccume/fuel pressure gauge and t it in, if there is fuel in the bowls and it wont idle its other issues

Yea i had it idleing great and then it just died on me and has been that way since. What else could it be?

lostforawhile
04-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Yea i had it idleing great and then it just died on me and has been that way since. What else could it be?

did it still have fuel in the bowls when it died? have you checked the fuel cutoff solenoids on the carb?

91lowrider
04-11-2012, 03:43 PM
did it still have fuel in the bowls when it died? have you checked the fuel cutoff solenoids on the carb?

Sitting there it has fuel in the bowls. I Need to check it while its running and when it dies. Have to put gas tank back in first. I havent checked the shutoff solenoids. Where are they on the carb? How do i check them? I just went out a bought a Actron pressure gauge. So once i get the tank cleaned up i can bolt everything back together to start checking.

lostforawhile
04-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Sitting there it has fuel in the bowls. I Need to check it while its running and when it dies. Have to put gas tank back in first. I havent checked the shutoff solenoids. Where are they on the carb? How do i check them? I just went out a bought a Actron pressure gauge. So once i get the tank cleaned up i can bolt everything back together to start checking.

lets see you have a cvcc so there are three I believe, I can't remember, they close the fuel passages when the car is shut off for emissions and to stop run on, they will be screwed to the side of the carb with one wire sticking out of the solenoid. if that wire has 12 volts to it the solenoid should click. oh and get rid of that spectre gauge, I made the mistake of buying one of their fuel filters once, the end unscrewed itself and dumped fuel all over my engine, They are not something I would trust on my car. If you want an underhood gauge, you need a fuel log to mount it to, and use a good holley gauge or something like it, some of those gauges the housing will come off in your hand.

Ichiban
04-11-2012, 05:03 PM
The pump is probably fine if the pump output at the pump is supposed to be whatever. If the pressure at the carb is slightly less, I wouldn't worry about it. How did you go about setting float height? This is critical. Also, see if you put any lines on the wrong way. It sounds stupid, but, hell i've done it.

lostforawhile
04-11-2012, 05:05 PM
if one of those fuel cutoff solonoids is bad I possibly may have one from an earlier accord, I'll just have to look most of the cvcc carbs used the same ones

91lowrider
04-11-2012, 05:32 PM
if one of those fuel cutoff solonoids is bad I possibly may have one from an earlier accord, I'll just have to look most of the cvcc carbs used the same ones

I know of only one shutoff solenoid one my carb. It is in the rear of it. Only wire coming from carb. I really wanna just put on a weber. Found a weber 38 for 250 shipped. Then would just have to buy the adaptrr plate.

91lowrider
04-11-2012, 05:37 PM
The pump is probably fine if the pump output at the pump is supposed to be whatever. If the pressure at the carb is slightly less, I wouldn't worry about it. How did you go about setting float height? This is critical. Also, see if you put any lines on the wrong way. It sounds stupid, but, hell i've done it.

From what i understand in the manual, pressure at the carb should be between 2.4-3.4. The fuel in the windows used to be just a hair above the middle dot but lately it has been even or a little below. I tried adjusting the float screws on top of the carb but they wont budge. I bought a rebuild kit for the carb and my boss's son went threw the carb and said he couldnt change the jets because they were seized in there and didnt wanna break them so he just cleaned it and blew it out as best he could. It was flooding before he cleaned it and after it ran and idled so much better until this happened.

lostforawhile
04-11-2012, 07:03 PM
From what i understand in the manual, pressure at the carb should be between 2.4-3.4. The fuel in the windows used to be just a hair above the middle dot but lately it has been even or a little below. I tried adjusting the float screws on top of the carb but they wont budge. I bought a rebuild kit for the carb and my boss's son went threw the carb and said he couldnt change the jets because they were seized in there and didnt wanna break them so he just cleaned it and blew it out as best he could. It was flooding before he cleaned it and after it ran and idled so much better until this happened.
you should have at least 2 solenoids on that carb, you have a primary fuel bowl and a secondary fuel bowl for the aux chambers, remember the aux chamber functions just like a mini carb, it has it's own float, and it has a separate fuel line coming in, thats why the split in the fuel hose coming up to the carb

91lowrider
04-12-2012, 01:49 PM
you should have at least 2 solenoids on that carb, you have a primary fuel bowl and a secondary fuel bowl for the aux chambers, remember the aux chamber functions just like a mini carb, it has it's own float, and it has a separate fuel line coming in, thats why the split in the fuel hose coming up to the carb

I just looked at my carb and i only see one solenoid on the back of it.

lostforawhile
04-12-2012, 04:14 PM
I just looked at my carb and i only see one solenoid on the back of it.

I'll look up the manual in a bit,what year is yours again?

91lowrider
04-12-2012, 04:31 PM
I'll look up the manual in a bit,what year is yours again?

85 accord lx.

ecogabriel
04-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Is the 85 LX a CVCC engine still, or it is a plain A18?

91lowrider
04-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Is the 85 LX a CVCC engine still, or it is a plain A18?

Yea it the CVCC. Im thinking im buying a weber 38 to put on it