PDA

View Full Version : Can The Rado Kill The Battery

My 89 Accord Lxi
10-18-2002, 03:36 AM
i dunno if this is on someone elses car but when i was putting in my radio on the end of the ignition wire for the radio was a long fuse thingy and on the red/yellow one that is always running and the long fuse thingy on it too. Is it bad to take those off and can somone post a picture of so i can make sure :help: thanx

shepherd79
10-18-2002, 04:30 AM
i think fuse that is on the wire is for the radio protection. i think you may have avoided the warranty if you cut the fuse from the wire.

DBMaster
10-18-2002, 06:44 AM
Yes, those fuses are there for protection of the stereo against shorts or surges. It is highly unlikely that you might get that, but normally you are attaching the stereo to the original factory wiring which is fused at the fuse box.

If you are going directly to the ignition wiring or the battery and bypassing the factory stereo harness definitely DO NOT cut out the fuses that come with the stereo.

BTW, most of the newer stereos I have seen have the fuse(s) plugged directly into the stereo case rather than using inline fuses.

My 89 Accord Lxi
10-18-2002, 09:32 AM
yeah my cd player has a fuse in it but i was asking if the white/yellow and the yellow/red is it ok if u bypass the round fuse that is connected to the back of them i think this is what killed my battery and alternator because the light on my radio was always on untill i turned it off and it only suppoesed to be on when the lights on and and it always flashed when the bass hit has anyone else had this problem?

DBMaster
10-18-2002, 11:59 AM
As far as the light staying on all the time you would need to hook that wire to the wire coming from the dash lights. I actually don't know the color codes for the Honda wires. I just bought one of those great $10 wire harnesses. You assemble it to your stereo's harness sitting comfortably at the house and then in the car you simply plug on end into the factory harness in the dash and the other end into the back of your new stereo.

It is well worth the extra $10 and no problems like the one you are having.