PDA

View Full Version : 88 accord HELP

tdr
04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
Hello, I don't know if this is the right place but here goes!
victim-88 Honda accord- carburetor
problem-mystery to me please help!
The car will start but will only continue to run if you constantly keep feathering (pumping) the gas pedal.... you can actually even drive it (very miserably) if you keep pumping the gas! It's did this one other time, I let it set for 3 days, drove it again for couple months, But now it won't come out of it! I believe it's getting fuel because it will run if constantly pumping it! I AM LOST I bought the thing for cheap beater car but have grown dependent on it and need it running any help much appreciated!

H86accord
04-04-2012, 08:04 AM
it soundds like its flooding. try replacing the needle valve in the carb. its very nice to replace takes about 30 mins of your time

tdr
04-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Ok is that in the front part of the carb?

tdr
04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Couls still use any thoughts on this issue if anyone has an idea

Oldblueaccord
04-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Dumb question but you sure you have gas in it? I would dump 2 gallons in the tank JIC.

fully warmed up the choke plate should be all the way open. if you cant get it warmed up hold it open with something and see if it runs better. the choke could be to far closed.

We have a full section on just carb problems to look thru also.

If you don't think its fuel related I would change out your spark plugs with the normal NGK plugs and try that right off.

wp

hondaaccorddrew
04-05-2012, 06:14 AM
There is this wire that is grounded with a ten millimeter bolt on top of the thermostat housing. It goes to the fuel solenoid valve, on the back of the carb. There's also a plug for it on the back of the carb where it gets it's positive power from the solenoid controller. Check these wires! I had a bad ground (bolt wasn't down all the way) took me a month to figure out! It was my own mistake after changing the thermostat. Also, check the fuel/alternator fuse under the dash. If it's blown in my car, you have to keep feathering the gas to keep it alive, it helps power the solenoid controller (under the drivers seat) good luck and have fun!:D

Keachman1
04-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Drew is correct. The fuel cutoff solenoid will make it act like that if it is not getting 12 volts. I have forgotten to plug it up after removing the carb and it acts just like that.

Also, check for vacuum leaks on the larger vacuum lines around the carb. A large vacuum leak will act like this also. Use a mirror to look all around the lines, top and bottom.

POS carb
04-08-2012, 05:33 AM
There is this wire that is grounded with a ten millimeter bolt on top of the thermostat housing. It goes to the fuel solenoid valve, on the back of the carb. There's also a plug for it on the back of the carb where it gets it's positive power from the solenoid controller. Check these wires! I had a bad ground (bolt wasn't down all the way) took me a month to figure out! It was my own mistake after changing the thermostat. Also, check the fuel/alternator fuse under the dash. If it's blown in my car, you have to keep feathering the gas to keep it alive, it helps power the solenoid controller (under the drivers seat) good luck and have fun!:D

make sure that solenoid is plugged in.
if the alt/fuel fuse is blown the fuel pump won't work, I don't think that is your problem
also listen for any major vacuum leaks. Make sure the thermovalves on the back of the intake haven't fallen apart.

POS carb
04-08-2012, 05:42 AM
i can't find my wiring diagram but you should have 12v at that solenoid wire with the key on. If i find it i'll let you know what fuse to check

tdr
04-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Ok Thanks SO much to you guy's for replying! I haven't been back In here In a couple of days but I will check all of these things and report back to you, Thanks again!

tdr
04-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Ok a little update: I checked fuse alt/pump It's ok
I located the solenoid, Is it round & straight out the back of the Carb with 1 little wire?....Looks kinda like a condenser that would go into a distributor cap? If that it? I found it...all wires seem to be hooked up...Even the one that goes up and mounts to top of thermostat housing...So If it's still doing it can this solenoid just go bad and nee replaced? :ugh:

Didn't seem to be any vacuum leaks either!

I thought I saw somewhere that you can bypass this solenoid? any thoughts on that?

POS carb
04-08-2012, 06:25 PM
that is the solenoid yes. unplug it and make sure you have 12v with the key on, if you do then plug it back in...

What you need to figure out is if you are getting too much fuel, too little fuel, or a spark problem.
Does the car smoke a lot when you start it or when it is about to stall? Can you smell a lot of gasoline under the hood?

If you want to test that solenoid remove it and see if it retracts when it gets power. I guess it could be bypassed if you were to somehow remove it and cap off the hole but I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent solution. You may be able to do this to test the theory but I think removing it and powering it up is far easier and less messy.

How it works:
If it doesn't retract it blocks the idle passage in the carb so it won't idle at all. this is to prevent what they call "dieseling", a problem in carbureted engines caused when the throttle doesn't close all the way and the idle circuit leaks fuel when the ignition is shut off. The stock carb has an idle boost dashpot that opens the throttle plate when engine vacuum drops too low (such as when it is about to stall). The problem is if you shut off the key you get the same vacuum drop so the plate will open and this would cause the idle circuit to drip fuel into the manifold and if the engine is hot it will try to keep running even without a spark. The solenoid plugs up the idle circuit when the key is off to avoid this. You know how in movies when they turn off a piece of shit car and it makes strange knocking and backfiring noises for a few seconds, that's dieseling.

tdr
04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
First Off a very big Thank you to all that helped! I ended up taking it to a shop and now I feel even DUMBER! haha lol... That Choke was stuck! But he said it needed cleaned bad so I don't feel quite so bad! So I had him fix the leaky valve cover Gasket too! Total Bill;...$69.09 Not too shabby...Once again I think you all for the in put as I was trying to do it myself!!:beer::cheers:

Oldblueaccord
04-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Always try the simple things first and work your way up. it will save you a few bucks in the long run. Glad its running.

wp

Dr_Snooz
04-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Stick with that mechanic. He could have pulled your pants down good.

Glad to hear it's running again.

ecogabriel
04-09-2012, 06:31 PM
Stick with that mechanic. He could have pulled your pants down good.

x2.