PDA

View Full Version : fuuuu crashing sucks!

AccordEpicenter
04-06-2012, 05:00 PM
I just got my 600RR out this year a few weeks ago... got on some fine dust right up the road and the rear broke loose and laid it down (lowsided)... low speed say 25mph. Im not a new rider and it was tough to see it on the road. My equipment took most of the damage but my hand was still broken in the crash... FUCK CRASHING SUCKS! My bike used to be perfect... now its rashed up good on the one side... *SHAKES HEAD*

NOW WITH POLL

should i go back to stock fairings or change up to repsol race replica fairings?
http://www.powersportstv.com/adminuploadedimage/400x200/2011_Honda_CBR_600RR.jpg
http://www.e-owned.com/albums/userpics/10045/normal_P1010588.JPG

91lowrider
04-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Yea i got ran off the road 2 yrs ago on my bike. The guy ran me off a 25ft cliff. I broke my left wrist and almost ripped my right foot off, was only hanging on by the skin.

2drSE-i
04-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I just got my 600RR out this year a few weeks ago... got on some fine dust right up the road and the rear broke loose and laid it down (lowsided)... low speed say 25mph. Im not a new rider and it was tough to see it on the road. My equipment took most of the damage but my hand was still broken in the crash... FUCK CRASHING SUCKS! My bike used to be perfect... now its rashed up good on the one side... *SHAKES HEAD*

Who cares, its just a bike. As long as your ok. Got a good pair of gloves I assume? Hand injuries are pretty common in bike wrecks.

Dr_Snooz
04-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Sorry to hear about the wreck. Hope you recover quickly.

I know that when I say this to motorcyclists, it's never well received, but I'll say it anyway. The stats are there to show that motorcycle riding is among the most dangerous things you can do. Every mundane encounter on the road comes loaded with enormous risk. Even a simple patch of dust can wreak tremendous havoc. If it kills you, that's one thing, but it can also disable you permanently or, worst of all, turn you into a vegetable. If you have a wife and kids or others relying on you, it makes it all that much worse.

I know you won't, but sell the bike and give up a needlessly risky hobby. If you insist on riding, then get good life insurance and supplement it with good long-term disability insurance.

FresnoCA5
04-07-2012, 10:09 AM
sorry to hear. but how does the rear end break loose at 25mph?

Hauntd ca3
04-07-2012, 11:55 AM
that sucks donkey balls man!
at least it was low speed and damage to you and the bike is minimal.
be thankful you didnt high side, even at low speed it hurts like hell.
i high sided my dirt bike when i was a kid and hit a fence back first.
lucky not to have ended up in a wheel chair.
hope you recover quickly and the bike is cheaply repairable.

charliekuney
04-07-2012, 01:21 PM
sorry to hear. but how does the rear end break loose at 25mph?

...got on some fine dust right up the road and the rear broke loose...

---

Glad to hear you're okay! "A [bike] can be replaced, a person cannot."

FresnoCA5
04-07-2012, 04:08 PM
---

Glad to hear you're okay! "A [bike] can be replaced, a person cannot."

oh. because i didn't read that part. LOL. anyway...i've ridden for years and never had anything like this happen at 25mph, so i was just asking. from one rider to another. just curious.

carotman
04-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Be glad it didn't happen at high speed. Bike crashes sucks but at least you'll be ok in a few.

Post pics of the bike. I'm sure it's not THAT bad...

FresnoCA5
04-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Be glad it didn't happen at high speed. Bike crashes sucks but at least you'll be ok in a few.

Post pics of the bike. I'm sure it's not THAT bad...

indeed. be thankful.

as for damage, i once had a bum knock one of my bikes over. it scratched the hell out of the fairing, a bar end, broke a turn signal, and scratched the exhaust. it doesn't take much, unfortunately...

AccordEpicenter
04-12-2012, 09:10 PM
bump

Hauntd ca3
04-12-2012, 10:11 PM
i voted for repsol fairings only coz castrol fairings were not an option.

kentwat
04-13-2012, 06:31 AM
I like the factory fairings but I'd remove the section covering the back of the motor like the repsol. Glad you are ok from the crash.

w261w261
04-13-2012, 05:07 PM
I know that when I say this to motorcyclists, it's never well received, but I'll say it anyway. The stats are there to show that motorcycle riding is among the most dangerous things you can do. Every mundane encounter on the road comes loaded with enormous risk. Even a simple patch of dust can wreak tremendous havoc. If it kills you, that's one thing, but it can also disable you permanently or, worst of all, turn you into a vegetable. If you have a wife and kids or others relying on you, it makes it all that much worse.

I know you won't, but sell the bike and give up a needlessly risky hobby. If you insist on riding, then get good life insurance and supplement it with good long-term disability insurance.

"WHAT, you're driving a 25 year old car with NO airbags, NO ABS, NO stability control, half the weight of an SUV. This is VERY DANGEROUS! Run to your nearest dealer and get a new, much more safe car."

All risk is relative, Snooz. You want to really cut it down, don't get out of bed in the morning. But even then, you'll die from lack of exercise or poverty, or have too many kids.

More seriously, I drive my Honda differently than the other, newer cars. I try to drive it more like my bike ('73 CL450), but I still take some liberties with the car I would never take with the bike.

Sometimes, though, there isn't much you can do except gut it out. My least favorite situation is approaching, say a road on the right. A car is at the stop sign, do they see me? I can't tell for sure. There's also an oncoming car signalling a left turn that is stopped, *presumably* waiting for me to clear. Now, the biggest killer of bikers is the left turn in front of us, so I'm hyper-aware of a pincer ahead. Do I slow? If I do, that signal may be construed by the stopped car as my intent to turn right, so that he feels he can pull out. If I keep going, in a second I'm going to be in the middle of the scissors, between the two cars, with no room to dodge. Or, I can stop completely (kind of impractical on a continuing basis). The only thing to do is keep going, and be ready for anything. It's a pucker-up experience, but not much to be done. I feel it's one of the most dangerous situations, because I can't do much about it.

Dr_Snooz
04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
"WHAT, you're driving a 25 year old car with NO airbags, NO ABS, NO stability control, half the weight of an SUV. This is VERY DANGEROUS! Run to your nearest dealer and get a new, much more safe car."

All risk is relative, Snooz. You want to really cut it down, don't get out of bed in the morning.

This is a good point, so let's unpack it. Risk is relative. I agree. These stats come from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety):

-Motorcycle rider deaths were nearly 30 times more than drivers of other vehicles
-Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
-Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age.

The data, then, shows that, on a relative basis, riding a motorcycle is 20-36x more dangerous than any other kind of transportation. It's a risk you are taking every time you ride and the data is there to make a strong case that it's too great.

Motorcycle riding is inherently, consistently and enormously riskier than driving. Here's a for-instance: you are driving in your car and another car pulls out in front of you. You slam on your brakes, swerve, give the one fingered salute and drive on. On a motorcycle, the risks of that encounter are exponentially greater. If you don't execute your braking and swerving perfectly, you will fall and be scraped up bad. You could end up hitting the car, with your frail, pink flesh and fragile gray matter absorbing all the impact. I've seen that happen and it's not pretty. You could end up under the car, being crushed. None of this is possible in a car. The worst case scenario with the car is that you hit the other car. In that case, you get out, get to know the other driver better and go get your car repaired. On a motorcycle, you could go to the ER and have reconstructive surgery.

This thread is another great example. There is some fine dust on the road. In a car, you don't even realize that it's there. On a bike, you're injured and the bike is a mess.

I understand that it's fun and feels free and all, but there are such gigantic downside risks to virtually every mundane encounter on the road that the risk, on a relative basis, is not worth the reward. The possibility of being maimed or turned into a vegetable is enormously higher when you ride. I know of three separate stories of motorcyclists who have had body parts cut off in crashes. I don't ride and I don't know many bikers, but I still have heard these stories and know one of the victims personally. I don't know of any motorists who have lost limbs. Growing up, we used to give a guy rides to church every Sunday. He lived in a group home for the disabled. He was born normal and ordinary but was permanently disabled by a motorcycle crash. He was completely unable live independently or to care for himself. They considered it a miracle that he could even walk...barely. Again, I know that no motorcyclist will listen, but riding just isn't worth it. Relatively speaking.

Sell the bike before something worse happens.

AccordEpicenter
04-16-2012, 08:17 PM
yes I know its most def a dangerous sport, so you should def plan for the worst. I wear an armored leather riding jacket, leather gloves with kevlar in the knuckles, a very nice helmet and boots also. My legs got lightly rashed because I was wearing jeans soo I think riding pants might be on the list next. As for my hand... I think it was damaged because of landing on it funny. I was looking at my jacket and gloves last night wondering what my skin would look like and how much of it would be missing if I wasnt wearing any gear, like I see alot of ppl riding, esp other sportbike riders. Tons of ppl ride with a wifebeater shorts and flip flops or sneakers... that to me is just foolish, preparing for the worst will make the difference between walking away from a crash and being seriously injured. While no gear can make things 100 percent risk free, I cannot imagine going down in a bad crash with nothing between you and the road at all... nasty. Anyway Im looking around to try and find some factory oem fairings I can put on the bike and this time install my frame sliders that ive had on my table for the last month :/

edit: come to think of it, Ive known several riders that went down over the years and the worst one that comes to mind was my sisters ex bf, he laid his old cb650 down and wasnt even wearing a decent jacket... He was rashed up pretty bad from head to toe all over his body.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Glad to hear you made it out relatively unscathed... I would personally go repsol fairings if it was my bike.

cygnus x-1
04-16-2012, 08:47 PM
This is a good point, so let's unpack it. Risk is relative. I agree. These stats come from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety):

-Motorcycle rider deaths were nearly 30 times more than drivers of other vehicles
-Motorcycle riders aged below 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other vehicle operators of the same age.
-Motorcycle riders aged 40 years and over are around 20 times more likely to be killed than other drivers of that same age.

The data, then, shows that, on a relative basis, riding a motorcycle is 20-36x more dangerous than any other kind of transportation.

This is somewhat of a nit, but I'll pick it anyway. These statistics only apply to motorcycle riders as a group and do not indicate the actual risk to any individual rider. The risk to an individual is based on many variables and will vary a lot from person to person. If you usually ride in dense traffic your risk will be higher than someone who rides only on back roads with little traffic. If you have many years of riding experience your risk will be lower than someone with only a few weeks experience. If you like to drink a fifth of Jack before hopping on the bike your risk will be higher.

Now having said that, riding a motorcycle in general is more dangerous than driving a car. Cars have crash protection (tho body), bikes don't. Bikes tip over, cars don't.

It's a risk you are taking every time you ride and the data is there to make a strong case that it's too great.

Whether or not the risk is "too great" is a judgement call that only an individual can make. I personally don't ride a motorcycle, but I do think it would be fun to have one, for the occasional Sunday afternoon ride, or for quick trips to the store or whatnot.

EDIT: Actually, to be honest I think I would rather have one of those 3 wheeler type things than a 2 wheeler.

C|

AccordEpicenter
05-18-2012, 07:56 PM
update:

The RR is back together like new. Took some coin to buy new fairings though ouch.

carotman
05-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Repsol scheme ? :D

AccordEpicenter
05-25-2012, 07:46 PM
stock :)

cubert
05-30-2012, 07:20 AM
You dont get out of the house much, do you Snooz?

2drSE-i
05-30-2012, 08:21 AM
You dont get out of the house much, do you Snooz?

its not that he is a shut-in, he just places a little more value on his life than having a bit of fun. not saying he is right, but you can't attack the guy because he doesn't want to partake in one of the most dangerous activities you can engage in.