PDA

View Full Version : Solex door lock replacements

heehawhardy
04-07-2012, 05:31 AM
This is a big thing in the '86 Corolla community so I'd figured just share this with you guys/gals. Really cool piece that'll save your car from getting molested.

I have not researched the part number for our cars, but they should have something.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/chococat_13/2011-12-01_15-07-55_655.jpg

Here is an installed picture on a Hachi

http://motormavens.com/emAlbum/albums/Antonio%20Alvendia/Feature%20Cars/Sherman%20AE86%204AG%20Turbo%20Seattle/IMG_7414_solex_twin_cam_series_lock_ae86_copy.jpg

dieselgus
04-07-2012, 06:06 AM
I don't get it. Looks like any other cylinder style OEM key lock that can be punched out rather quickly. Failing that, these aren't the hardest cars to get into without leaving any damage to the exterior.

Better bet? Get rid of the external chambers entirely, put a hidden mechanical release somewhere for one door (in case the battery dies), get rid of the internal lock knobs and go with a decent security system with keyless entry.

Dr_Snooz
04-07-2012, 09:05 AM
We're lucky in that the 4g (or was it the 5g?) Accord was among the easiest cars to break into and steal. It made a top ten list I read a few years ago. I think a flat-head screwdriver and a modest amount of ambition were enough to steal the car. The 3g is both older and more difficult, so is pretty much looked over in the search for cars to steal. There was a day when you couldn't keep people out of these cars. You couldn't keep the wheels on them, the stereos in them and the emblems would sprout legs and wander off in the night. Thank god those days are over, but I have every confidence that these cars will become highly desirable again.

The Solex cylinders are reputed to be very difficult to break into. Not impossible, of course, but maybe worth the $75 if you are worried about your lock cylinders.

lostforawhile
04-07-2012, 10:13 AM
just use rear sedan door handles and get rid of the cylinders all together they are also metal, unlike the original plastic hatch door handles, use the alarm for keyless entry with a backup in case the battery dies

charliekuney
04-07-2012, 01:25 PM
We're lucky...

Bend window tab. Pull back window. Reach in. Unlock.

I'm pretty sure these cars are 100% just as easy to break into as they have the same design flaw. Continued right into the 5G as well. Since these cars do not have the aftermarket that 4G's and 5G's have, people tend to stay away from them unless they're looking for a joyride or if something obviously valuable is in plain view.

On another note: Wouldn't these look retarded on our cars since the lock is in the handle part, as opposed to separate like the car pictured?

DBMaster
04-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Anyone else besides me notice that in the "installed" picture the center of the lock looks like OEM instead of like a lock that would use a barrel key?

obd0driver
04-07-2012, 06:32 PM
^^^^^ what he said

obdriver6
04-08-2012, 10:28 PM
^^ yeah, why is that?

heehawhardy
04-09-2012, 11:50 AM
They have different kits, and supposedly one of them offers a "key type" cylinder/blade.

Just trying to help out, sorry for the dull info