PDA

View Full Version : knock knock rattle pop

countryson
04-08-2012, 11:07 AM
So there we were driving into town on the highway and the strangest knocking sound appeared, then the oil light came on and off, mustve ran low and the valves are angry. Well put oil in and still no good, now she wont idle. So we figure its a rod. start to limp home. bout half way there she started to grind knock clank and make all sorts of bad noises. So I'm gonna tear into it today and see. Whos got their money on what? Im votin rod or spun bearing. Any other ideas?

countryson
04-09-2012, 12:54 PM
well the number 4 rod bearing was toasted. And the rest looked pretty well done. so time to toss in new ones.

DBMaster
04-09-2012, 01:49 PM
I guess no one wanted to guess. I personally was wincing in pain at the thought of what happened. Where do you think the oil went, by the way? If I use standard synthetic 10W30 I lose a quart or more every 1,000 miles through valve stem seals and/or valve guides. I switched to 5W40 Rotella T synthetic (heavy duty engine oil) and have seen a dramatic decrease in oil loss. I can go for my 10K mile OCI with only about 2-3 quarts lost. One of these days I'll have to put in a set of stem seals.

countryson
04-11-2012, 01:53 PM
the valve cover was leaking. stem seals aint bad to do. I always used rotella t 15w40 diesel oil in my truck. High in zinc ive been told many times, good for old engines