PDA

View Full Version : does A20 gearbox bolt into 2g

A18A
04-10-2012, 11:15 PM
I have searched, and I found mixed answers. I'm looking at buying this Accord http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=464746205 it needs a gearbox, I have a A20 gearbox, but I am a complete 2g noob and I don't know shit about them.

2ndGenGuy
04-11-2012, 09:04 AM
That's an early 2g (pre-facelift), so no it wont bolt in. The engine has nothing in common with the A20. If it were a facelift 2g, the A20 trans would bolt up, but the axles would be smaller and would not fit the diff.

carotman
04-11-2012, 03:41 PM
2ndGenGuy, are you sure it's not a later engine in this car? It sure is pre-facelift but it says it's an 84.

Maybe it's like in Europe where they never ever got the facelift but the engine was updated.

I guess the only way to know is to have a picture of the engine in this car. As far as the axles go, it's an easy swap. You can use A20A inners on the 2g axles.

A18A
04-11-2012, 03:50 PM
i'll obtain a photo of the engine bay for yous today

2ndGenGuy
04-11-2012, 04:09 PM
The chassis on the pre-facelift car is quite different from the facelifted car. The bodies look similar, but that's where the similarities end. Check Ichiban's thread on trying to swap an A20 in to an early 2g. Swapping from the E-series engines to the A-series engines (the ES is still an A-series engine) is no basic task and is unlikely to be done by anybody but an enthusiast. That car should have an EL or EK engine in it, and the facelifted cars all have ES or EZ engines in them. They did get the facelifted 2g in Europe, I've seen lots of them.

Basically, the early 2g is a completely different car from the later 2g. The swap can be done with probably less work than say a B-series swap, but it's not a bolt in. The front crossmember in the early cars won't allow for an engine with a crossflow head (front facing exhaust) to fit without hititng. The crossmember is literally inches from the front of the engine block, since it's a rear-exiting exhaust.

carotman
04-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah, the Early 2G is basically a 1.5G

A18A
04-11-2012, 05:51 PM
well, poos. you wouldn't happen to know if the internals between the 2 boxes would be interchangeable?

2ndGenGuy
04-11-2012, 08:10 PM
That I do not know. You can check part number interchanges online at some of the US Honda sites like hondaautomotiveparts.com and the like.

A18A
04-12-2012, 12:44 AM
well that site doesn't like me. i looked at the car today, it does indeed have a EL motor. I don't think I've seen one before, they're tiny motors lol. no wonder why people use them for beach buggys & such

killa_lude
04-16-2012, 10:07 AM
I`m a little confused since you posted in another thread that an A18 or A20 would fit with SEi axle and other stuff, can you tell me basically what tipe of manual tranny can i use for a swap on an EL auto 82 sedan, thanks.

If you can give me the tranny codes, better.

2ndGenGuy
04-16-2012, 09:05 PM
I think the only transmissions are the GK or GL or something like that. Yes, the A20 can go in, but it's more work than just dropping it in.

A18A
04-23-2012, 06:12 PM
I tried searching again but still get confused with this stuff lol. Is a ET1 powered Accord a 2g or 2.5g? I can use a whole ET1 accord as a donor for that hatch if need be. I never got to look at the motor in the ET1 accord, so i couldn't compare.

edit: you know how the 1g accord with the EL motor had a hydraulic clutch instead of cable, well this hatch which has the EL motor too, but it has a cable clutch. is that right? I did manage to have a look at the ET1 accord, that also has a cable clutch.

not sure if confused or too tired

2ndGenGuy
04-24-2012, 03:37 PM
You are correct. The 2.5g is the ET/ES powered car. The 2.0g is the EL/EK powered car. The EL/EK in the 1g is hydraulic clutch, and the EL/EK in the 2.0g is cable operated.

The mounts in the 2.0g are very similar to the 2.5g, so you could put the motor in without a terrible ton of modification. The BIG caveat to putting the 2.5g motor in is that the exhaust is routed out the front. The front crossmember in the 2.0g is too close to the engine to allow front-facing exhaust to pass around the block. The exhaust on the 2.0g comes out the back of the engine under the intake manifold, it is a counterflow head.

If you do decide to put the ES/ET engine in, you can use an A20 instead, since it's externally identical to an A20. The difference between an A20 and an ES/ET is the intake ports and cylinder bore. You can think of the ES and ET as a variant of the A18.

The ES/ET carbureted transmissions also have smaller splines for axles than the A20 transmissions. The fuel injected ES motors though, should have the splines that are the same size as the A20. So if you do an A20 engine, you would want to either put A20 inner splines on the axles, or use an ES/ET transmission.

I know this is confusing. But it was a very strange time for Accords.

lostforawhile
04-24-2012, 03:50 PM
I would like to see pictures of how the later motors in these are fitting with the exhaust, I put a legend V6 in an early civic, but this involved a shitload of work, which was basically cutting the front of the car off,lengthening the chassis, and reworking every bit of sheet metal on the front including the hood and fenders, the exhaust fits easy when you do this lol, I haven't seen anyone do this to an accord yet though. I would like to see others solution to the problem. when the A20 was new a lot of them made their way into 70's civics, you could build a small rocket with a factory bone stock motor, there used to be complete kits made minus the work needed to the car of course

2ndGenGuy
04-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Probably worked fine on the Civic 1200s because they had crossflow heads on them, and the engine was positioned differently from the CVCC Civics, they were different cars from the firewall forward. The work that people are doing is things like what Ichiban was doing to his car. He built a custom crossmember out of a 2g and 2.5g crossmember and welded that shit up. I've even seen a 1g where someone built a custom header that was lengthened so that it would wrap around the crossmember, and they used a Civic half-size radiator for clearance. Even have seen some crossmembers built out of square tubing, etc.

lostforawhile
04-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Probably worked fine on the Civic 1200s because they had crossflow heads on them, and the engine was positioned differently from the CVCC Civics, they were different cars from the firewall forward. The work that people are doing is things like what Ichiban was doing to his car. He built a custom crossmember out of a 2g and 2.5g crossmember and welded that shit up. I've even seen a 1g where someone built a custom header that was lengthened so that it would wrap around the crossmember, and they used a Civic half-size radiator for clearance. Even have seen some crossmembers built out of square tubing, etc.

I wish I had thought of that before I cut the front off of a cvcc civic lol