PDA

View Full Version : HID projector or no projector?

AccordLegacy
04-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Hello im new to the forum i know theres already threads like this but i didnt get much info from reading them. So is projector headlights better or without projector? oh and btw to search up HID's for 3geez is *H6054*

ShyBoyCA6
04-11-2012, 12:03 PM
if ya searched then you probably didnt read it. All info is there.

2ndGenGuy
04-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Just say no to HIDs.

DBMaster
04-11-2012, 02:36 PM
^What he said. If you don't have the lens/reflector assembly designed for HID the results will be mediocre at best. I apologize in advance to anyone who might take offense at that comment.

lostforawhile
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
those HID lamps are garbage, they also put out a light color that decreases your visibility, and they blind other drivers. If you want to upgrade your lights look for the Hella housings and go to the standard 9004 bulbs with them

DBMaster
04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
I have been using some Maxtel glass fronted housings (not as good as Hella, but not bad) for at least ten years now. They remain clear (due to being glass) and have not leaked. I buy extended life Hella brand bulbs from here...

http://www.rallylights.com/

and have done so for many years. Keep in mind that where I live there are almost no "back roads" remaining and I can, literally, almost never use my high beams. I buy standard, 55/60W bulbs and they last for a minimum of five years. You can't complain about that. If you drive around with ultra-bright, blinding, or blue headlights you are just begging to be pulled over for something - anything. I guess I prefer to make my personal statements in other ways.

I don't know, but when I see an old car with blue headlights I do not form a positive opinion. Again, I apologize if that statement offends anyone, but I am trying to think like the average Joe, or like a cop. That is also why I do not go for personalized license plates. If you drive like I do you do not want to give anyone an easier way to remember your car. LOL!

2ndGenGuy
04-11-2012, 04:01 PM
I take offense to all the dickheads with their $35 lights that blind the fuck out of me. Projectors or not, cheap ass HID bulbs and ballasts still glare all over the place.

DBMaster
04-11-2012, 04:17 PM
^LOL! There are a ton of cheap-ass lights around here. I have just noticed lately that some of the guys on this forum get pretty upset by anything that could be interpreted as criticism of their tastes. I am starting to feel ornery as I approach 50 so I figured I could express a couple of opinions every now and then.

Remember, guys, I once drove a car that had old-school tungsten sealed beams. ANYTHING is an improvement!

ShyBoyCA6
04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
i have mine aimed down a bit to avoid blinding most of the drivers. i had some HID's with a reflector and that did the job and didn't blind anyone. i have 55w HID's and are really bright -_- lol but i have the yellow lights for regular driving till i hit the slopes then i use i the HID's

Tdurr
04-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I take offense to all the dickheads with their $35 lights that blind the fuck out of me. Projectors or not, cheap ass HID bulbs and ballasts still glare all over the place.

Not anything to do with bulb or ballast, its all the housings.

And to the op, google autopal and get those housings, they work alright for hids. No blinding of others, but the light scatter is weird. Idk if i like it or not yet.

Honda Man
04-11-2012, 11:52 PM
If anybody takes opinions as "critisism" or "hating" then they know there wrong. I can speak from haveing HIDs my self. 6k color and the ARE dam bright. And with the "projectors" it came with the light scattered everywhere and I had to point then down a lot so they wern't blinding everybody.Now that I have HELLA E-CODES the cutoff line iis so mush beter and straight out. If your going to go hids get a well built kit and autopal hella headlight housing. There so much beter for your visibility and on coming drivers eyes. Also 4300k is the best color with the best output. All the new cars have that color and their actually not to bright for the eyes
n

Hauntd ca3
04-12-2012, 02:22 AM
Remember, guys, I once drove a car that had old-school tungsten sealed beams. ANYTHING is an improvement!

a zippo is just bout better eh!
remember my first car, 67 mini minor with lucas sealed beams.
wouldnt blind a bat at 6 ft.
all these cars need are some nice h4 xenon 60/55watt bulbs with the blue glass.
nice white light and good coverage on the road.
have sold heaps at work.
people cant get over the quality of light frpom the blue bulbs

Tdurr
04-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Just so u know every bulb company rates their bulbs slighty differently for the color degrees. My local wholesaler has been through a few diff companies but has settled on a solid one. I bought a 8k kit for my moms car and it is bluer then 10k on most cars(she wanted BLUE hids so w/e). So before you buy/order see if you can get a color chart with all the bulbs they sell. Because I was originally going to get 4600 but it wasn't the shade of white that I thought. It's truly the color of "daylight" photos throw the color slightly off usually.

Don't quote me but I think most high end color is more of a 5700k color. Hence why I got 6k.

and ecode housings ftw. The do so much work. My random eBay ecodes had a better overall pattern but I really wanted a Casper shield for it. Would have been perfect imm.

lostforawhile
04-12-2012, 04:17 PM
If anybody takes opinions as "critisism" or "hating" then they know there wrong. I can speak from haveing HIDs my self. 6k color and the ARE dam bright. And with the "projectors" it came with the light scattered everywhere and I had to point then down a lot so they wern't blinding everybody.Now that I have HELLA E-CODES the cutoff line iis so mush beter and straight out. If your going to go hids get a well built kit and autopal hella headlight housing. There so much beter for your visibility and on coming drivers eyes. Also 4300k is the best color with the best output. All the new cars have that color and their actually not to bright for the eyes
n

I see those lights in every color of blue you can imagine, and it's been proven that they only give you the perception of being able to see better,when they actually don't, they are also very distracting to other drivers

RAZR
04-12-2012, 07:41 PM
HID = Hello im a dickhead

2ndGenGuy
04-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Not anything to do with bulb or ballast, its all the housings.

So, what you're saying is, the bulb doesn't matter? You can just throw any bulb into a housing, so long as it's a "good" housing and it will be fine?

ShyBoyCA6
04-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Tdurr its actually both things not just the housing. let say if you buy a shitty HID kit from ebay that has a small reflector and you have a good housing say like Hellas, you will end up with a weird pattern. i should know cause i have it. I spent $80 on a xenon Hid kit that had a nice reflector and had my hellas with them and the light pattern was very sharp and nice cut off as well, even if you buy a good Kit and buy a cheap housing it will be like shit.

From my experience i think all projector housings are shitty for lighting for direct replacement on this car suck! For the OP look around the site, there are members who did the real projector light upgrade. Not to burst your bubble but if you buy the cheap housings prepare to buy another set within a week or so. Save up and buy the better brand. Buy a 35w Xenon HID kit with Autopals e code or Hellas ecode. your range will be from 160-240 for a good kit. if ya gonna be cheap then forget about asking this question lol.

2ndGenGuy
04-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Here's a good read for you guys, ya know, if you care about facts vs if the lights are cool:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

car6289
04-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Hella conversion kit P/N 003427811. Two direct fitting lenses and two H4 bulbs, as plug and play as it gets.

MessyHonda
04-13-2012, 06:35 PM
n

yeah I do agree because the housing is what helps guide the light out and if you have cheap housings the light will scatter and it does not look as good. I have Autopals H4 lights with just the stock bulb and I like my lights alot even tho I do think that good quality HID could even improve visibility.

Tdurr
04-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Tdurr its actually both things not just the housing. let say if you buy a shitty HID kit from ebay that has a small reflector and you have a good housing say like Hellas, you will end up with a weird pattern. i should know cause i have it. I spent $80 on a xenon Hid kit that had a nice reflector and had my hellas with them and the light pattern was very sharp and nice cut off as well, even if you buy a good Kit and buy a cheap housing it will be like shit..

As far as i know 90% of the lights give the same light output demesions. The only real difference in hid kits are the ballast. but most new kits are have "digital" ballast so they can be slimmer.

The only difference in bulb/ballast is color.

The hid kit i just picked up was 55 from my local wholesaler(i paid 35 cuz he is my clubs sponsor)
i paid 50 for the autopals so u can get a hid set up for less the 120.

And like i off rip, the housing is what matters. If you really want to do it proper look up hid retrofits. Thats the only way to get the cutoff like in new cars with hids.

niles
07-30-2012, 11:28 AM
They also now make a Bi-Xenon HID. There is a little reflector inside the HID so you can switch from Hi/Low beam, which I am convinced are the only HID that work in a H6054 enclosure.

Otherwise your light will shine like a High AND Low beam at the same time and make me want to smash out your headlights for blinding me when oncoming.

As for the Projector style - lame.

Here is a pic of what the BI-Xenon HID looks like. - I ordered these yesterday and plan to do a post of the install. And yeah, they were not $35 lol. China will take your eBay $35 all day and mail you garbage in return.

http://www.listingfactoryhost.com/users/groupee3/eBayAuctions/carpartsexpertsxenon/images/DigitalSlimBallastFlexibleKit_65096174_thumb.jpg

2oodoor
07-30-2012, 11:54 AM
I really don't understand how the blue too blue ones are even DOT legal since you are not supposed to have blue strobes, led's or flashing blue lights unless you are a LE vehicle.
Some of these look like a cop coming at you so it is very very distracting. How distracting is it when there is a cop sitting in the left side emergency lane on the interstate? lights on or off it is pretty dam distracting and I think some of these guys are causing more accidents than they are preventing by sitting on patrol scanning traffic.
With these "move over" laws and such, EVERYBODY is on alert when they see blue lights so why does somebody want to look like 5.0 when they're not?
Really I understand having good headlights at night since I can hardly see even in the daytime without a strong LED flashlight handy.:crying:
So , I hate the over legislating of things but maybe there should be headlight testing and DOT approval on any brand before it is marketed.. oh! that's right, there IS! well maybe there should be measurement standard I reckon:sad2:

2ndGenGuy
07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
They also now make a Bi-Xenon HID. There is a little reflector inside the HID so you can switch from Hi/Low beam, which I am convinced are the only HID that work in a H6054 enclosure.

Otherwise your light will shine like a High AND Low beam at the same time and make me want to smash out your headlights for blinding me when oncoming.

As for the Projector style - lame.

Here is a pic of what the BI-Xenon HID looks like. - I ordered these yesterday and plan to do a post of the install. And yeah, they were not $35 lol. China will take your eBay $35 all day and mail you garbage in return.

http://www.listingfactoryhost.com/users/groupee3/eBayAuctions/carpartsexpertsxenon/images/DigitalSlimBallastFlexibleKit_65096174_thumb.jpg

Hate to tell you, but you probably just paid more for the same $35 made in China kit.

The High/Low switch in those just pulls the the bulb forward or backwards. And honestly, there's not much difference between high and low, since all you're doing is moving the filament, and it's not like they're optically correct anyways.

niles
07-31-2012, 11:22 AM
2ndGenGuy, we'll have to see when I get them. I belive the ones I ordered have a stationary bulb and a moving reflective shield like in this link:
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00PeBTaOWEOQis/HID-Bi-Xenon-Kit-High-and-Low-Beam-in-One-Bulb-New-H4M-with-Magnetic-Moving-.jpg

There is a big difference in ballast design even if the bulb design is rather consistent. DC vs. AC vs. CANBUS, circuit protection, water resistance, WARRANTY etc. But I'm not arguing, I will do a post of my install next week.

2ooDoor: blue is not legal and neither is yellow (to my disappointment), but it's just like Piratebay - it's hard to bust people if everybody is doing it.