PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy it?

elarson88
04-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Hey everyone. I'm looking to buy a kind of project car to have some fun with, and have always liked the older hondas. (My first memory of a car was my dad's '90 civic) Only problem is I live in Canada and they're all rusted to hell. I found this one (best body condition I have seen haha) What do you think? Is it too rough? I know the interior is disgusting. But I am pretty good at cleaning that up. Are there any main things to look out for when buying one of these cars? Known problems? Thanks for any advice!

elarson88
04-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Edit: I cant post the link until 5 posts lol I guess I will get posting!

elarson88
04-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Here it is! http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1987-Honda-Accord-MUST-GOOO-W0QQAdIdZ368873822

89HatchbackLxi
04-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Yikes! That's a lot of rust, man. Probably gonna be at least 2 times the cost of the car to get all that rust repaired properly, and if it's on both sides, it'll probably cost even more than that. Unless you yourself happen to be skilled with welding.

Anyways, I'd look for one in better shape if I were you... However, the car doesn't look beyond the point of being fix-able, so if you plan on it being a long project, it might be ok to work on. Does it still run ok?

elarson88
04-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Yeah apparently it runs and drives fine. I'm planning for it to be a long project, I think parts availability will warrant that anyways... The rust is only that bad on the one side from what he said and the pics. And no I'm not a welder unfortunately :(

It would be so nice to live down south. All you guys have such clean cars compared to here. Here's an example to show what we're used to seeing. (and for a laugh :lol: )
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr247/OGMatt_photo/01-03-09_1241.jpg?t=1239578116

obdriver6
04-14-2012, 12:26 PM
The hatch doesn't look too bad compared to the civic above (lol). It seems like it does need a lot of TLC but if the engine still runs strong it would be a nice project car.........btw welcome!

MessyHonda
04-14-2012, 05:07 PM
big project you got if you buy

Dr_Snooz
04-16-2012, 03:34 PM
The rust is only that bad on the one side from what he said and the pics. [/IMG]

Of course it is!!! LOL. And he took a picture of the car's BAD side for purposes of selling it! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Welcome BTW. LOL

pickupman6
04-16-2012, 07:33 PM
If he only wants 350 for a running car you should jump on it. I'm from n might and I've dealt with Mayfair share of rust. That car looks to be in decent shape on the outside compared to a lot of older cars up there. Especially foreign cars. It looks like the drivers side was already patched. Probably just bondod her the rust and painted it though. None the less, repair panels are available from andysautosorts.com (I think that's it) for like 30 bucks a side. Make friend with someone who can weld and buy him a case to weld them in. Btw. Welcome from Alabama!!!!!

elarson88
04-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah I think I'm gonna jump on it regardless of the rust. It's cheap, and its not like I need it to be a reliable daily driver just yet. (I have another car) Only problem is the guy takes like 3 days to answer his damn emails... I hate playing the waiting game!

91lowrider
04-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Id buy a running car for that price. Hell i payed 500 for a car not running lol

elarson88
04-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Ok, I got ahold of the guy finally. Looks like I'll be picking it up Saturday morning! Then the search for parts to get it on the road begins. So far I want to get a pass. Side headlight lens, pass side blinker, new glovebox, and get the timing belt done. Hopefully the local junkyards turn up some results!

elarson88
04-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Brought home the car today! First impressions are: The body is a little worse than I thought (peeling clearcoat, a few dents and the rust), Interior is DIRTY! This will be mostly remedied this week. And the engine runs REALLY well!! It idles smooth and shifts good. The choke kicks down the idle as soon as it's warm. I bought some stuff for it already, and I'll start a build thread for it soon.

91lowrider
04-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Brought home the car today! First impressions are: The body is a little worse than I thought (peeling clearcoat, a few dents and the rust), Interior is DIRTY! This will be mostly remedied this week. And the engine runs REALLY well!! It idles smooth and shifts good. The choke kicks down the idle as soon as it's warm. I bought some stuff for it already, and I'll start a build thread for it soon.

Glad to hear she runs good.