PDA

View Full Version : cold weather speedometer problem

86lxighost
10-18-2002, 08:52 AM
My speedometer only acts up when the temps get below freezing here in MN. It makes a noise from the speedo head and the needle shows speeds way above the actual speed. It can fluctuate from 70-130 mph when actual speed is around 40-50 mph. The odometer speeds up the same amount in the rate at which it revolves. When I come to a stop sign and then start up again, that will sometimes cure it and bring the speedo back to normal. It will also improve when the car warms up.

I have no problem most of the year when the temps are warmer.

Any ideas on if it's a matter of the cable being worn out, dry, etc. (235000 miles) or if its the head in the dash? Can the cable end on the tranny be removed and lubricant added to the cable that way (if it's the cable)? Can the cable be removed from the sheath to lubricate it?

I've read through similar posts on the subject, but none seem to conclusively answer the problem.

Thanks!

markmdz89hatch
10-18-2002, 09:05 AM
actually, if you can buy the part, you can replace the cable all together with little difficulty.

..but to answer ur Q, yeah you can lubricate it a little at the end that goes into the tranny, but chances are that may not last too long if it has any effect what-so-ever. The route of the cable from the back of the speedo is...

...from speed, it goes down through about a 3in. hole in the back of the dash...
...runs along the back of the firewall for a little, then goes through it from a grommet just below the top of the clutch arm, or if it's an auto, just above the pedal assy. mount points. Then runs around the front of the engine, loops back around to the back at just about where the engine and tranny meet, and ends up on the back of the tranny (closest to the firewall) being held in by a tiny retainer clip that is easily removed.

86lxighost
10-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the quick answer and for the routing info.

I assume then that the cable is the culprit and not the head?

With the cable, is this a Honda original part item (ie better to get from dealer than parts store) in order for it to work right? Or will a junk yard replacement work fine (I assume there wasn't much difference in speedo cables for the 86-89 years?

markmdz89hatch
10-18-2002, 12:28 PM
honestly, I don't know if that's the culprit, it sounds like it could be however. Either way, it would'nt hurt to at least lube it up a little. I just checked out www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and they don't seem to have that part listed. So... ...being that this is one of the first cases of this happening in a 3G, I'd say it's a safe bet with a junk yard special.

...providing of course that this is determined as the root of the problem, which, again, I cannot say for sure.

AZmike
10-18-2002, 11:51 PM
I was able to pull the whole speedo cable out of the tranny end of the cable housing. Just be sure the square end seats back into the gauge when you're putting everything back together. Hopefully that's all it will need. Good luck.

86lxighost
10-21-2002, 06:10 AM
Thanks. Did just that, cleaned and lubricated the cable well, and put it back in. There were a few dry, sticky spots on the cable, so hopefully that will solve it. Will take it for a test drive later today and let you know the results.

markmdz89hatch
10-21-2002, 06:51 AM
good stuff, I wish you luck..

...report back with your findings.

ACCORD EX
10-21-2002, 08:45 AM
try greasing the cable ( get the cable out of the casing first ! )

hope this helps !

MIKE

86lxighost
10-22-2002, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Took the car out for a spin and the speedometer worked fine! Guess it was the cable. Just undid it at the tranny, pulled it out, cleaned it and then lubed it and the cable sheath, and put it back together. Working fine now. Hardest part was getting the notch in the cable positioned correctly back in the tranny.