PDA

View Full Version : engine mount question

countryson
04-15-2012, 07:14 PM
well when we pulled the motor outta my 89 accord we ran into a snag. Apprentally there a mount on the bottom by the shift linkage that goes back bout mid way. how we missed it i dunno :slap: but after 2 hours fighting to pull the engine with the back hoe the mount isnt as straight as it use to be :rant: ..... so is that mount important or can we go without. its a torque mount im assuming?

Dr_Snooz
04-16-2012, 03:22 PM
:facepalm:

Well, it's not really very important. I mean, you can get away with fewer. Like you can get away with 3 lug nuts.

countryson
04-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Well i like those odds, yeah there were wrenches flying when we saw it, mind you this was around 8pm at night. thanks snooz

91lowrider
04-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Lol thats awesome

senor honda
05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Under my 89 there is a large diameter tube with a metal loop at the end that has a thick rubber "washer" that connects close to where the shift lever connects to the transmission, The tube travels parallel to the shift lever. It holds the shift lever in the same relationship to the trans as the shift lever moves in and out of the trans.

Without the metal "tube" the engine/trans would shift around and allow the shifter to
pop out of gear.

Are we talking about the same thing? If so, you will need it.-Bob

Legend_master
05-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Man I think that is actually the transmission mount. IF you notice there are no mounts holding the weight of the engine and tranny on the passenger side. I would not run without that mount, could really end up damaging something. If your really not worried about it, weld that that bad boy in place.

Welding was a joke lol.

senor honda
05-17-2012, 10:05 AM
There are three things that hold an engine/trans in place on an 89 Accord: D-side end of engine: Mount to inner fender.
Rear of engine: Mount that bolts to engine/trans and side-to-side frame brace.
Under car: front-to-rear removeable frame brace with a mount to trans.
Front of engine: rubber mount to side-to-side frame brace.

Orig poster has not replied to my first question in post 4. Might we presume it is no longer important to him?-Bob

Man I think that is actually the transmission mount. IF you notice there are no mounts holding the weight of the engine and tranny on the passenger side. I would not run without that mount, could really end up damaging something. If your really not worried about it, weld that that bad boy in place.
Welding was a joke lol.

2oodoor
05-17-2012, 11:08 AM
I've had a lot of extra parts leftover after working on these but drivetrain mounting hardware was never one of them.
About the only one I've heard of deleteing was the torque rod (dogbone) that attaches to the firewall. I would personally leave it on as well.

Legend_master
05-17-2012, 11:28 AM
There are three things that hold an engine/trans in place on an 89 Accord: D-side end of engine: Mount to inner fender.
Rear of engine: Mount that bolts to engine/trans and side-to-side frame brace.
Under car: front-to-rear removeable frame brace with a mount to trans.
Front of engine: rubber mount to side-to-side frame brace.

Orig poster has not replied to my first question in post 4. Might we presume it is no longer important to him?-Bob

I bet he is talking about the transmission mount that bolts to the cross member. The torsion that bolts to the transmission is pretty obvious when removing the shift linkage. It's only been 2 days, he may reply shortly.